Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to monitor the world and make Judgy McJudgerton judgements on others despite a complete lack of background or understanding.

Seems legit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9mle0CoJM1qhsmbwo1_r3_500_zps3040297e.gif
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Society almost TELLS kids to hate vegetables. Tons of television shows show children turning their nose away from broccoli and brussel sprouts and such, so it's no wonder thousands of kids say they hate these kinds of foods...even if they've yet to give them a try! Parents need to feed their kids. If a kid is stubborn enough and refuse to eat, there's really nothing left to do but *sigh* give them what the want.

Also, companies know how to market to kids. This means kids want to eat fruit loops and chicken nuggets because the box as spongebob on it.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My kid will eat nuggets and fries, but will have an apple, carrot sticks and yes even broccoli as a snack.

Just like adults, it's fine to let kids indulge, especially when out at dinner.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, one six year old boy and one two year old boy. When we go out to eat the six year old is allowed to order what he wants. It's normally Mac' cheese or corndogs or some other disgusting food. That he doesn't get at home. He enjoys it and it allows us to eat a meal out without fighting with him over the menu. We order a fruit plate for the two year old and cut off bits of ours or order him chicken fingers depending on where we are. Snacks at our house include string cheese, fruit, veggies with PB, and roasted flavored almonds. Dinner is what we eat or they don't eat. Now if you only saw our kids eat in public you would think that they only eat crap, but since we only eat out once or twice a month..... But a stranger can judge me all they want, I only listen to my family and my kids pediatrician. Oh and they're both little string beans as far as weight goes.
  • zortgirl
    zortgirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well for me, it's because I cook very healthy meals at home (that my son happily eats). Restaurants are about his only chance for fried/unhealthy food. I give him a menu and let him order what he wants. Since his calorie needs are a lot higher than mine and we don't eat out every day, I don't worry about it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No Foods are Inherently Fattening!

This study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246357

This study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413101

Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet consisting of Twinkies.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Flexible dieting
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Because they haven't classified letting your child get obese child abuse.
  • Sandreeuhh
    Sandreeuhh Posts: 39
    Options
    My sister in law feeds both her boys greasy finger foods all time time. And neither of them will eat veggies.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of my own childhood. Day after day, I was fed peanut butter sandwiches and sugary cereals, when all I really wanted was some beets and brussels sprouts. I called Child Services for the first time at age 4, when my parents tried to make me eat fried chicken instead of the grilled tilapia I had been begging them for.

*ptsd kicking back in*
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You do have a point there and Im guilty of it from time to time. I have 3 kids which 2 have special needs and they a extremely picky and would only eat certaint types of food, especially when they were between the ages of 2-5. They are senstive to textures, tempature, food touching, you name it! On top of that I was still dwelling and coping with their diagnosis..sounds like an excuse, I know and I own up to it and have learned from it. So we would give in to the junk because thats all they would eat and it made them happy. Now fast forward to now and I see how the bad choices have affected them and i try to incorporate better food options now because its not only my journey but theirs as well. We are making this a family thing. I found ways to sneak veggies into the food I make and sometimes its a success and other times not as much. It's a tough job but we are making this a family effort to be healthier.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're talking about. My kids are on raspberry ketones and the green coffee bean enema cleanse, just like all the sensible adults.

Omg hahahha
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    Correct. No kids, but am an aunt (sister does a fine job. This is not directed at her.)
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    From this question, I surmise that you do not have children, right?

Correct. No kids, but am an aunt (sister does a fine job. This is not directed at her.)
  • angelgoone
    angelgoone Posts: 50
    Options
    What a horrible, resentful childhood to have when ones parents restrict the good, fatty foods when dining out! For all we know, they have decent meals at home every day of the week except that one or two days. My son loves his fruits and veggies and beans and rice and chicken and tuna but that doesn't mean he won't request the occasional ketchup smeared hamburger and deeply fried chicken nuggets and cheesy cheese pizza. They're kids, not adults.
    The childhood obesity problem is obviously growing but it doesn't mean the kids should be forced into a strict "yucky" "adult" meal.

Besides there is a better way of trying to change a parents mind and helping them ease their children into healthier and more moderate choices.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    WTF

And I thought I was bad for letting them have happy meals
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Please don't allow your children to eat from the trash can.

I LOVE TRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

tumblr_lrdt2tpHh81qi41t1o1_500.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You really can't make any kind of assumption off of one meal. You don't know how often the child is allowed to have these kinds of foods and the parent might be ordering the healthier food for themselves because that's what sounded good at the time.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Here's something else to consider: humans have more taste buds as children than as adults, as the nerve endings die off as we age. So every little bit of bitterness in vegetables is painfully apparent to them that we can't even taste.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Trying to fatten em up, the little suckers can run too fast, they are hoping if they feed em enough the little buggers will slow down, make em easier to catch