My story is different than most...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You came into the forum and said something that came across as elitist and "i'm a special snowflake, not like the rest of you."

You made a mistake. Own up to it. Calling everyone who took the statement that way a troll and telling them to run along just makes you look like more of an elitist special snowflake.

No, that's how you interpreted it possibly through the lens of your own experiences wIth people you percieve as elitist. As a mental health professional I saw it as a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. Nice job, people, extending a welcome to her.

And her telling those engaged in trollish behavior to take a hike didn't come across as elitist, it comes across as someone standing up for herself ... But for someone who has already decided she's elitist it adds weight to their preconception. It's called confirmation bias:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

To those who "stood up" to this terrible newcomer in your midst, what did you gain from it?

snowflake.gif

Yeah, that's not trollish behavior at all. :)

You people are real pieces of work.

I guess it takes a "mental health professional" to make that diagnosis.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Now a lot of you may judge me for being 142 lbs and trying to lose weight. Technically, my BMI is normal and healthy. But being 32 lbs heavier than pre kids is a hard pill to swallow and I hate being stared at like I'm pregnant and people want to ask me when I'm due. I've HAD people ask me when I'm due. It's not fun. I carry weight like my dad. Anything extra goes straight to my stomach and hips. So no, I'm not overweight and obese trying to lose 100 lbs. My goal is to be 125 lbs. it sounds easily attainable, but for someone like me, it just isn't. So I'll be needing people here for support when I'm feeling discouraged. thanks for having this website. It is amazing to me so far!

I'm not usually this mean, but I am judging you for thinking we will be judgmental just based on one number. And why are you "someone like you"? We are all here because we have struggled with our weight. Obviously it is not easy or everyone would be thin. And finally, how is your story different than everyone else?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Now a lot of you may judge me for being 142 lbs and trying to lose weight. Technically, my BMI is normal and healthy. But being 32 lbs heavier than pre kids is a hard pill to swallow and I hate being stared at like I'm pregnant and people want to ask me when I'm due. I've HAD people ask me when I'm due. It's not fun. I carry weight like my dad. Anything extra goes straight to my stomach and hips. So no, I'm not overweight and obese trying to lose 100 lbs. My goal is to be 125 lbs. it sounds easily attainable, but for someone like me, it just isn't. So I'll be needing people here for support when I'm feeling discouraged. thanks for having this website. It is amazing to me so far!

I'm not usually this mean, but I am judging you for thinking we will be judgmental just based on one number. And why are you "someone like you"? We are all here because we have struggled with our weight. Obviously it is not easy or everyone would be thin. And finally, how is your story different than everyone else?

Oh you're just being mean. It was a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. You should be welcoming.

Or something. That seems to be what some people in this thread are saying. That if someone shows up and proclaims how she's special and not like anyone else, we're supposed to smile and hug her and make her feel good. And special. Or... whatever. Gah.
  • GrandmaDoris
    GrandmaDoris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's much better to work on getting in shape now, than it would be if you waited. Once the weight comes on, it doesn't leave easily.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Oh you're just being mean. It was a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. You should be welcoming.

Or something. That seems to be what some people in this thread are saying. That if someone shows up and proclaims how she's special and not like anyone else, we're supposed to smile and hug her and make her feel good. And special. Or... whatever. Gah.

I think what bothers me the most is I clicked thinking there was going to have some awful weight gaining disease, or cancer, or have some awful abusive family history, or something that actually was different. I feel like the title was just a ploy to get attention, which frankly just makes me sad. If you need attention that badly in your life, I suggest you find something more fulfilling in the real world.
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think some people may not have seen the undertone of the original post….if you look at what some people have accomplished (as in losing 50, 60, 70 + lbs) it can be a little intimidating when you only want to lose 10, 15, 20 lbs. You may feel like you don't belong here.

I have a way to go and I wish I had only 10 - 25 lbs to lose, but that isn't the point. I joined because I thought this was community to be welcoming others in need….just because you don't understand the phrasing of the post or may interpret as wanting attention, or thinking they are special does not mean you should attack anyone.

We are all here for a reason, to lose weight. I thought this would be the one "nonjudgemental" place that people can speak from the heart or pain they are feeling.

I have made some friends in my group…Thank God, non of them have been sarcastic as I may have wallowed in my sorrow and ate myself into a food coma.

Don't judge…accept. People put themselves out on a line here for understanding…keep the snide remarks to yourself…

If you don't have anything nice to say…..then don't say a thing…..
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few similar to you... Look for them (search criteria selections) and they can help.

And people will eat you alive on these boards.... don't fret, they're just hungry!

Welcome -
    ~j

Hahahahahahhaaaa... truth. Have a snickers people... you're not yourselves when you're hungry! LOL!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I think some people may not have seen the undertone of the original post….if you look at what some people have accomplished (as in losing 50, 60, 70 + lbs) it can be a little intimidating when you only want to lose 10, 15, 20 lbs. You may feel like you don't belong here.

I have a way to go and I wish I had only 10 - 25 lbs to lose, but that isn't the point. I joined because I thought this was community to be welcoming others in need….just because you don't understand the phrasing of the post or may interpret as wanting attention, or thinking they are special does not mean you should attack anyone.

We are all here for a reason, to lose weight. I thought this would be the one "nonjudgemental" place that people can speak from the heart or pain they are feeling.

I have made some friends in my group…Thank God, non of them have been sarcastic as I may have wallowed in my sorrow and ate myself into a food coma.

Don't judge…accept. People put themselves out on a line here for understanding…keep the snide remarks to yourself…

The OP was kinda judgmental. It came across to many people as something like "I've never been really fat like all you guys, but I want to lose a little weight and hope that's OK."
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No so unusual; you'll find you have a lot of company here.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options

^this
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the most judgmental place on the planet - the MFP boards.

Friend me if you'd like, good luck to you OP.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You came into the forum and said something that came across as elitist and "i'm a special snowflake, not like the rest of you."

You made a mistake. Own up to it. Calling everyone who took the statement that way a troll and telling them to run along just makes you look like more of an elitist special snowflake.

No, that's how you interpreted it possibly through the lens of your own experiences wIth people you percieve as elitist. As a mental health professional I saw it as a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. Nice job, people, extending a welcome to her.

And her telling those engaged in trollish behavior to take a hike didn't come across as elitist, it comes across as someone standing up for herself ... But for someone who has already decided she's elitist it adds weight to their preconception. It's called confirmation bias:

To those who "stood up" to this terrible newcomer in your midst, what did you gain from it?

Love this.
  • thickntired
    thickntired Posts: 76 Member
    Options

What does she have to own up to? Not everyone took what she said as elitist. I took it as her trying to avoid the very reaction she got. She felt different as most people here are trying to lose way more weight than she is, so she felt her story was different. Perhaps she just skimmed through the site and couldn't find anyone with her similar stats but felt she'd be welcomed here. I just don't think she deserve the nasty comments.
  • cicibeanz
    cicibeanz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The OP was kinda judgmental. It came across to many people as something like "I've never been really fat like all you guys, but I want to lose a little weight and hope that's OK."

Honestly, that was how the original post came across to me as well. I guess that's the problem with communicating on the internet- it's hard to make sure that everyone is looking at a situation the same way. I only have my own experience- that of someone who has been consistently overweight for most of her adult life- to use as a frame of reference. And I have had many uncomfortable exchanges with folks who tell me how fat they feel just so they can point out that they really aren't that fat at all.

When I stop and think about it, though, I can see how the OP might feel legitimately intimidated or like she might be judged.

Welcome to the group, Naturebeckles. And thanks to everyone who engaged constructively in this conversation for broadening my perspective.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options

Honestly, that was how the original post came across to me as well. I guess that's the problem with communicating on the internet- it's hard to make sure that everyone is looking at a situation the same way. I only have my own experience- that of someone who has been consistently overweight for most of her adult life- to use as a frame of reference. And I have had many uncomfortable exchanges with folks who tell me how fat they feel just so they can point out that they really aren't that fat at all.

When I stop and think about it, though, I can see how the OP might feel legitimately intimidated or like she might be judged.

Welcome to the group, Naturebeckles. And thanks to everyone who engaged constructively in this conversation for broadening my perspective.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your honesty.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know what I found truly sad about this thread.

So many people wanted to be offended because of the wording of the OP's title, but very few offered anything helpful or relevant or welcoming to the OP.

Most introduction threads slip through ignored. We can do better MFP.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    i think whenever someone comes in to a forum and says "ok so i'm actually different from the rest of you" it DOES sound somewhat elitist and the natural reaction from people is either "so what are you doing here" or "actually no, you aren't that special" Now add to that the very personal and difficult nature of weight and body image, and sorry but yes, a message like the one the OP posted is going to result in people "putting her in her place" so to speak.

MFP is a place where people come to get support. When someone of a healthy weight comes in and says "I'm different and I bet no one here understands me", well... lol yeah a girl like me who maxed out at 300 pounds isn't going to have as much sympathy as I would for someone of a healthy weight who says "I know I'm a healthy weight, but I'm just not happy, and I want to get fit"

Is it right? I can't say that. It is expected and pretty much basic human nature? yeah.

Well good for you that you are so miserable with yourself that you don't even TRY to sympathize with other peoples' difficulties that are different than yours. I didn't come in here saying I wasn't happy. I came in here because I'm having difficulty getting down to what I know is a healthy weight for ME. I'm not some anorexic model looking for sympathy. Now run along, troll. Don't you have somebody else to go tear down?

I'm not quite sure you understand what a troll is. I've seen you throw that word around. Someone saying something you don't agree with doesn't automatically make them a troll. Just sayin' :wink:
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Story isn't so far from others here and I'll think you'll hopefully find some awesome people that will help you on your fitness journey. I try not to look at this site as weight loss and instead think about fitness.

I got a personal trainer today and the first thing he asked is what was my goal. Get fit was my answer, I honestly don't know what weight I'll be when I hit that but that's how I feel but enough about me back to you.

I didn't read all the pages because some people never learned the saying "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all" ....

stupid people even thumper knew that.....

Welcome aboard and sorry for rambling..YouTube has fried meh brain.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I started at 145! So I feel you. I wasn't technically "overweight" but I wasn't happy with my body. And I had someone ask me if I was pregnant, too - that was when I KNEW I had to lose the weight.

I reached my goals and so can you - hang in there :smile: And just remember that like you said, sometimes the scale won't move but you'll lose inches and your clothes will start fitting better. The scale actually isn't a great measure of progress - as long as you're seeing and feeling the results, that's what counts!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your story is pretty much mine, minus the kids. That said, ignore the crank, and find like minded folks on here. There are many good folks. Find a few, friend them, and they'll be super supportive on your profile posts.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.