reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

But to each his own. Everybody seems to be reading something at my gym.

I could see the bike..

the tablet thing really blew my mind...LOL

The bike is the only thing i can be on and read - mainly because i get bored on it. Anything else i think i would hurt myself.
  • lanedon
    lanedon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read while walking the treadmill at 4.2 mph. I have to close the book while I do the 6 mph 20 minute run part of the program ,or it becomes sweat spotted. It all depends on speed and moisture.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I focus on myself in gym. What others do or how they do is not important for me.
  • Valarama
    Valarama Posts: 22
    Options
    i actually can't do anything like that- it makes me extremely nauseous.
    but if i could, i'd do the "laptop treadmill" thing--you attach a table on or to your treadmill and put your laptop there, so when you're on the internet, you're also doing a slow/moderate walk.
    i don't know if i would do it at the gym per say, because if i'm paying for something i'd rather give it my 100% attention, but for those who do, i say it's a win win situation--finish your fav. book & your workout! lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yeah. But they would have less progress if they were just reading without working out at the same time.
    I don't do it -- but if it gets them there it's better than nada right?

good point..I suppose better than nothing...reading and working out are anathema to me...
  • Miss_Maree
    Miss_Maree Posts: 33
    Options
    It's hard to judge because you don't know what other people's goals are. If an 80 year old were doing it, it probably wouldn't seem so odd right? Maybe people think better while walking/moving (I know I do!) Maybe they are nursing an injury. Maybe they are cramming nonstop for that exam tomorrow...

If your goal is to push yourself, and to improve your fitness, yes, you probably will get better results with a more focused work out. If you are just trying to fit in some activity into your day to maintain your current health, then I think it's just fine.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

lifting heavy *kitten* never gets boring in my book....

In YOUR book.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

I could see the bike..

Maybe the person had their workout routine on the tablet.
    I've used my phone to run my routine. A tablet would do the same thing.

But all n all, I say to each his own. I don't judge anyone in the gym and hope I get the same courtesy.

Do you think people who watch the TV's and people who are listening to music in the gym are not trying hard enough either?
    Just curious as to which electronics are okay and which are not.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

In YOUR book.

its my thread, so its my book :)
  • karaeb621
    karaeb621 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried reading when I first started working out and it was a nice motivation at first. However, now there is no way I could run how I do and read. But I think its good for people who are just starting out or even just doing a basic level of cardio rather than intense cardio
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Let's criticize other people how they get in shape.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I could see the bike..

Maybe the person had their workout routine on the tablet.
    I've used my phone to run my routine. A tablet would do the same thing.

But all n all, I say to each his own. I don't judge anyone in the gym and hope I get the same courtesy.

Do you think people who watch the TV's and people who are listening to music in the gym are not trying hard enough either?
    Just curious as to which electronics are okay and which are not.

music approved...a good play list will get you through any day ..

everything else = epic fail/not trying hard enough
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I usually agree with most of your posts..... however, why do you care what other people are doing in the gym? :tongue:
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options

Well, I *don't* try to read or watch Netflix when I'm heavy lifting. But on the cardio machine, I'm bored to death if I have to watch the clock.

when I run I run outside..running on a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster or something...
    Good for you? I don't run, I walk. And walking outside isn't always an option.

I really don't understand why your knickers are bunched, homie. Dafuq do you care?

let me break this down for you in ebonics

check dis out homegurl it don't mean jack to me dat foolz at da gym wanna read dem fanzy azz books and shiat...this home slice just wanna know how da hell fools can focus on a book when dey trying to read, word?

what dafuq youz carez if I got an opinion on some jive *kitten* shiat??
    What?

Oh, never mind. I really don't care!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If I'm on the elliptical or stationary bike, then yeah, I'm gonna read/study/learn lines/watch a movie/ whatever. It helps me to not overthink things. Plus, a lot of the time, I don't have time to do everything, so I have to multitask
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've read whole novels on the step mill. Don't see the problem. Give it a try, it might do you some good!

tumblr_lzarqfhTXL1qg63qpo1_250.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Let's criticize other people how they get in shape.

hmmm you missed the point..

I am just curious as to how one reads while on treadmill and that they could get BETTER results focusing on routine...
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    nope..too sweaty for reading..but i did see Hugh Jackmans pic on the cover of a magazine in the racks at the gym and stopped short in my tracks to drool...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Like stated before it gets your mind off of the exercise, and in college I did it often to save time. I was studying. I don't do it now, but yes the human mind is capable of doing multiple things at once. I'm sorry that it may be difficult for you. It's just like listening to music, I use the length/speed of song to keep me going, so I'm thinking of anything but my sweat covered face lol.

its not difficult for me ....

My thought is that people get more out of the gym if they focus on their routine rather than a book ...

I like to read...but I could not read when I am running because I am trying to haul *kitten* ...but maybe that is just me..?

Have u really seen someone "running" and reading a book? I call bull on that one.

thats what spawned my inquiry...
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Everybody has different goals. I don't think someone should be judged by reading or watching a movie while working out. I agree with other posts that physical activity is physical activity and that may be enough for some. Or maybe plenty, or already out of their comfort zone. I started out reading while walking but have since built up to other more strenuous activities which now need all of my attention to do them properly. That said, I certainly wouldn't go back and judge someone starting out because they were in a different phase with different goals. I don't see why this bothers you since... well, they're not bothering you. :)