reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Like stated before it gets your mind off of the exercise, and in college I did it often to save time. I was studying. I don't do it now, but yes the human mind is capable of doing multiple things at once. I'm sorry that it may be difficult for you. It's just like listening to music, I use the length/speed of song to keep me going, so I'm thinking of anything but my sweat covered face lol.

its not difficult for me ....

My thought is that people get more out of the gym if they focus on their routine rather than a book ...

I like to read...but I could not read when I am running because I am trying to haul *kitten* ...but maybe that is just me..?

Have u really seen someone "running" and reading a book? I call bull on that one.

tumblr_mm7ql8pL801rh58ldo1_500.gif

I bet she could. No one else.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry about what you're doing? I wouldn't read while I was running but I sure as hell read while I'm walking. It's the same is listening to music. Good distraction, and stops you getting bored.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nope..too sweaty for reading..but i did see Hugh Jackmans pic on the cover of a magazine in the racks at the gym and stopped short in my tracks to drool...

bahahahahahaha fair enough....
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....

I agree with what some have said as far as trying to keep mind off of working out or what they're doing if its mundane i.e. treadmill. I think some also may only have that hour of free time to catch up on their fav book/reading material or whatever so maybe they're trying to multi-task? Obviously not everyone is looking for the same results/has the same goals. I agree though you're not going to see as good of results if you're not focused on workout not to mention I can't imagine being able to read while doing some of the harder cardio. For some it may just be attempts at getting in the habitual routine of going to the gym everyday, even if they're not hardcore its a step in the right direction vs. in front of the tv at home?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why don't you worry about what you're doing? I wouldn't read while I was running but I sure as hell read while I'm walking. It's the same is listening to music. Good distraction, and stops you getting bored.

i was on rest when I saw it...

why does exercise have to be boring?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Have u really seen someone "running" and reading a book? I call bull on that one.

thats what spawned my inquiry...

I swear I used to see this lady run and read the paper every AM I was in the gym. She ran a pretty good clip too. I wish I could do both of those tasks at the same time. I can't even watch TV when I run.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

lifting heavy *kitten* never gets boring in my book....

Was this a special gym only for people exactly like you who enjoy the things you do? Or was it a regular gym for people who pay to use in the way that they want to?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I can kind of understand this thread as I've seen someone come in to the gym, get on a stationary bike and peddle leisurely while they read a magazine for a half hour. No flush of exertion, no sweat, not quickened breathing, nada.

But I've also seen people read while obviously exerting themselves.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's affects on me if somebody wants to read at the gym=zero.

They are moving and making an effort, not everybody is looking for those optimal results so really...
    what do I, or anybody else care?
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I never understood that either. If you are walking/running on a treadmill, a walk has a natural slight bounce to it. How can you read straight?? Same with the elliptical?
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have my iPad mounted on a C-stand just above the brain to my Rower. I can't say that it hurts my workout at all, unless it's a super slow movie.

But that being said, watch movies like the Kick *kitten*, Crank (1 or 2), The Avengers, etc... and there are parts that will help you get your heart rate up to those upper zones.

Now... that being said, there is no way I could do anything where I have to READ. I don't like reading when I'm sitting in a chair not doing anything, I sure wouldn't like reading bouncing around.
  • katpatoneill
    katpatoneill Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing- if it's an elliptical sort of day, I REALLY need a book- I hate the ellipticals. And it doesn't hurt my pace any- in fact, I've noticed it gets my mind off the fact I'm doing my least favorite thing at the gym. During Finals week every day is elliptical day- Studystudystudy and what-not. But if I'm running or lifting weights? That just seems silly. But, who am I to judge? A lot of people don't like the gym and want to get their mind off the fact that they are there. It might help them adjust to being in there.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Or they might have no progress or results because the gym is beyond boring to some people. If bringing a book makes it an enjoyable experience, there's a way better chance they'll actually go.

lifting heavy *kitten* never gets boring in my book....

Was this a special gym only for people exactly like you who enjoy the things you do? Or was it a regular gym for people who pay to use in the way that they want to?

ummmm regular gym...

i find it mildly hilarious that some people get so teed off about the topic...

I really do not give a damn, I am just curious as to other thoughts on reading while working out...
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I sometimes ask myself how people can listen to music and study for an exam because I feel that you might pay more attention to the subject your reading if you had no distractions. However, if it works for them then it works for them and there's no way I am so conceited to think that what I do is the best way for everyone to do something.

I personally, as much as exercise is a chore for me atm, would not read while biking or treadmilling because like you said I would want to focus on what I was doing, but that's ME.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I never understood that either. If you are walking/running on a treadmill, a walk has a natural slight bounce to it. How can you read straight?? Same with the elliptical?

I was thinking same thing..how can you even concentrate on story?

maybe I phrased original inquiry in wrong manner...oh well, fail on my part..
  • iowasweetie101
    Options
    I guess I don't really see why you care if they aren't bothering you. At least that is quiet. I have much bigger pet peeves. Personally, I watch the TV or read on my phone. I hate doing cardio on machines but running isn't an option for me right now so I read facebook a lot. I make sure my HR is up and that I'm at a fast pace, other than that, who cares. I get bored and will get off a lot sooner if I don't distract myself.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah. But they would have less progress if they were just reading without working out at the same time.
    I don't do it -- but if it gets them there it's better than nada right?

good point..I suppose better than nothing...reading and working out are anathema to me...

It makes me think of an old joke:

Friar asks the Pope: May I eat while I pray? The Pope says "NO!"
    Friar asks the Pope: May I pray while I eat? The Pope says yes.
  • Seik3n
    Seik3n Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercising is hard work. Finding the motivation to start or keep on going after the burn sets in is a killer for a lot of people. It can be sweaty, painful and uncomfortable.

Entertainment can be an effective way of forcing yourself to exercise, "I will only watch this show while I work out". I don't cycle any faster/harder when I'm not watching TV, and the entertainment makes the time pass faster so I can burn more calories.

I exercise at home though, to avoid judgmental bros. It's hard enough to try and better yourself without being conscious of the narrow-minded people around you that love to tell you how you're not doing it right and will almost certainly talk crap about you later, possibly on internet messageboards.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    At least they're working out?

I think I'd prefer an audio-book, personally.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't text the next time I do my 7mile/1 hour workout on the elliptical tomorrow? Does texting count as reading? Am im not working hard enough during, even though ive made progress from 10 to 7miles? or am i still not concentrating on my routine? I'm done for the night I've got adult things to do like mind my own business lol