reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I read books on my iPad while I'm on the elliptical but I certainly don't consider cardio working out. Lifting is working out and I don't read or talk on my phone while I lift.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I like to take my phone and headphones with me and watch a show while on the stationary bike or eliptical. It really gets my mind off of the fact that I absolutely detest working out.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I ran my fastest and longest yesterday thanks to taking my new Kindle with me on the treadmill. I watched 3 episodes of Arrested Development on Netflix, looked down and said "Oh ****, I ran a mile longer than I planned on, look at me go!!" LOL

ETA: Oh yeah, I ran 6 miles without stopping... Normally I would take a walking break in there at some point, but I was caught up in my show and realized I should have been pushing myself a lot harder I guess! :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym that had a cardio theater. The cardio machines were set up to watch a very big screen playing a movie. They always played action adventures. I once watched The Bourne Supremacy and 60 minutes in, when my bike beeped, it said I averaged 120 rpm. That was some seriously fast pedaling.

I used to run and watch, but it made me queazy.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the OP. Genuine one, not being snarky. If I get on the treadmill and set a program - time, distance, speed, intervals, etc. - and then am reading while I'm doing that workout, am I really not getting as good of a workout as if I focused on the workout? How exactly am I getting a better workout by focusing on the workout the treadmill in essence is putting me through? Again that's a serious question. If I'm getting a better workout by focusing, and you can give me a reasonable explanation as to why that's the case, I'm sure willing to try it.

I run outside (so no reading during that) and strength train with a trainer (who doesn't give me time to read), so primarily I'm reading when I'm getting 20-30 minutes of moderate cardio prior to my trainer sessions. Not trying to burn high calories - just trying to warm up the body.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a stationary bike, sure. Not really able to read anywhere else, and the stationary bike for me is when I need to get blood flow to continue in my legs after a particularly strenuous lower day.

But to each his own. Everybody seems to be reading something at my gym.

I could see the bike..

the tablet thing really blew my mind...LOL

Maybe the person had their workout routine on the tablet.
    I've used my phone to run my routine. A tablet would do the same thing.

But all n all, I say to each his own. I don't judge anyone in the gym and hope I get the same courtesy.

Do you think people who watch the TV's and people who are listening to music in the gym are not trying hard enough either?
    Just curious as to which electronics are okay and which are not.

music approved...a good play list will get you through any day ..

everything else = epic fail/not trying hard enough

These are YOUR words aren't they??? Only music is acceptable, everything else=epic fail. And as for the 50lb comment, well that just made you sound arrogant and a bit stupid.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I understand what you mean. Yeah, yeah, it's better than sitting at home, but I'd be curious at how much benefit they're getting. I think it speaks to that people seem to need to be distracted all the time, no one can live in the moment. Case in point: I did some spa time with the wife on vacation, and people had their f*****g cell phones with them, really? I do hiit, I barely notice the good looking women in my circuit, because I need to concentrate when doing halos with a 70 lb kettle bell.

And yes, lifting heavy s**t doesn't get old. And yes, I've done the tv while on the elliptical, not any more.

Music is different, it enhances the workout, not dstracts. It's like dancing that way.

If your workout is so boring you need distraction, get a different workout, and experience the joy of being in the zone, not zoned out.

i dont think this is quite true! I can run indoors or out, with or without music/tv/etc and I am not bored either way. For me, I don't mind multi tasking and look forward to being able to listen to an audiobook or watch a show when I end up stuck on the treadmill because as a single mom working 10 hour shifts, I dont get much free time. So combining the treadmill with watching tv or hearing a book means I get to kill two birds with one stone. It doesnt mean I am not working hard, or am detached from the moment. Every case is different, so maybe it just isnt our place to pay attention to what other people do in the gym!
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    GUILTY.

I will often be reading my kobo while on my exercise bike... I still maintain my pace, read a great book and time passes really quickly.
    Otherwise i will put on a chick flick :)
    Though when i do weights i just have music on.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered the fact that there are a lot of people who are physically incapable of "hauling *kitten*" on the treadmill, elliptical, etc? My mom has a leg and a back injury that prevents her from walking faster than 3-4mph. She happily reads her kindle on the treadmill because she enjoys reading and it helps pass the time. She's lost almost 30lbs so far. Far from an "epic fail".

i never said it was an epic fail..I asked for opinions and that was one of the options...

don't put text in my mouth...

maybe she would of lost 50 if she put down the kindle...??

tumblr_mjje80bxOb1rwcc6bo1_400.gif
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I watch The L Word while I jog...when the girls get busy so do I...and I manage to burn about 700 calories ;)
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the OP. Genuine one, not being snarky. If I get on the treadmill and set a program - time, distance, speed, intervals, etc. - and then am reading while I'm doing that workout, am I really not getting as good of a workout as if I focused on the workout? How exactly am I getting a better workout by focusing on the workout the treadmill in essence is putting me through? Again that's a serious question. If I'm getting a better workout by focusing, and you can give me a reasonable explanation as to why that's the case, I'm sure willing to try it.

I run outside (so no reading during that) and strength train with a trainer (who doesn't give me time to read), so primarily I'm reading when I'm getting 20-30 minutes of moderate cardio prior to my trainer sessions. Not trying to burn high calories - just trying to warm up the body.

Well, studies show that focusing burns 50% more calories...again, smh....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a reader. I read on the train, I read on my lunch break, I read when I walk to and from the train station, I read basically whenever I'm not having to do something else.

If I'm on the treadmill, I read. Music doesn't keep me occupied enough, I get bored and will stop much sooner if I don't have a book to entertain me. It's like people watching the TV on the wall. Without mental distraction, the treadmill is BORING! I stop reading when I do my intermittent running, if it is too bouncy to read, but go back to it when I slow.

I can actually push myself harder because I'm concentrating on the story and not on the time or speed on the treadmill. I can even edge up the speed and not notice. Its not like it distracts me so I slow down, when the speed is set, its set.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    I've never been to the gym but I wouldn't see why not reading while working out... I'm used to biking outdoors and I have to keep an eye on the potholes and traffic, then I have the scenery, my own thoughts... unless I'm absolutely aiming for a certain pace, my mind is totally elsewhere but without all that outside factors that keep my brain busy, I would probably find it very boring on a machine.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If it helps them stay on the machine longer and work out, more power to them. Some people just need a distraction. I'm not sure I could do it myself, but I'm not going to stop someone else from it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate the gym. I run and run for hours outside. But I find it difficult to practice speed outside, so one day a week I take it to the mill. I hate being there so I need a distraction to get my work done. I use the zombie run app on my phone and listen to Sam telling me to run and keeping me from the zombies. No way I'd be able to read at 7.5. I'd get motion sickness.

That being said, the guy next to me on the mill was clearly running faster than I. He was reading a magazine. I didn't quiz him on his comprehension but he was most definitely getting a great workout.

I think distraction is ok if you still get the work done. I just prefer it in the form of something I can listen too rather than something I have to look at. Though at home when I do my body weight resistance program, I watch tv while I do it.

Oh and for the record, my phone doesn't fit in the palm of my hand...it's the galaxy note 2. It's a monster!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    These are the type of people who are probably just exercising to burn off calories as opposed to exercising for the fitness benefits or aiming to rach a specific goal. The wrong approach if you ask me. Also the type of people who could be getting just as good results in half the time by actually focusing and putting in a bit of effort

I have specific goals and I manage to read on my tablet?

Fitness goals? you could probably hit them a lot faster by upping the intensity. I use the stationary bike for cardio sometimes and when I'm working hard enough there's no way I could be reading
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's affects on me if somebody wants to read at the gym=zero.

They are moving and making an effort, not everybody is looking for those optimal results so really...
    what do I, or anybody else care?

It bothers me if someone sits and reads for 20 minutes on the leg press or incline bench that I would like to use. We have a separate women's area and it is fairly busy and light on equipment with one or two pieces of equipment. And invariably, there's a couple ladies who bring their books and sit and read forever on 15-20 minutes while doing two sets. I don't give them grief - I just try and occupy my time while I wait.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    No different than people watching t.v. at the gym. At least if they're reading, they're not just exercising their body, but their brain.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I agree with the majority here; if it works for them and isn't disrespectful for others in the gym, why should it matter? I don't attend a gym so this doesn't 100% apply to me but I'm an outdoor runner so when it's rainy or cold or I just don't have it in me, I run indoors. It's very, very hard for me to complete my exercise indoors so often I watch Breaking Bad or Lost on Netflix just to pass the time. I've been running for half a year now -- my legs know what they're doing, and since I don't need to focus on dodging cars or my pace I don't see why I can't avert my attention to something not cardio related. At least these people are moving while doing something they could be doing sitting down.
  • laurapgmartinez
    laurapgmartinez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've read my kindle once on the treadmill before. I did have to make the font huge so I could see it easily with the bouncing motion. It was a nice distraction since I was on there a while (kept telling myself I'd read one more chapter, then look at the time, lol). That being said, I havent done it again =)