Litting Heavy is One of Many Options

Options
If you have been on MFP for a while, you will notice that lifting heavy is the most popular advice members are given regardless of fitness goal. Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not against lifting heavy, but I feel the routine should match the goals and lifting heavy does not work for every goal. At the same time, any other suggestion such as bodyweight exercises or metabolic training are ridiculed or dismissed by SOME members, when these exercises could be more or just as effective for a members goals.

Starting Strength, All Pros and Stronglifts 5x5 are all great programs and there are countless testimonies of people who have gained strength from those programs. But let's be clear, gaining strength is the priority of those programs, not weight loss. Weight loss is possible on a calorie deficit, but you would undermine the very goal of this program, which is to gain strength. While some posters on MFP like to promote those programs for weight loss over other programs, bodybuilding.com and other bodybuilder sites don't generally promote these routines where weight loss is the PRIMARY goal, because your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep up the gains. Plus these routines are strenuous and may cause the cardio to suffer. No problem if you don't care for cardio, a big problem if you are prepping for a 10K in a few months.

I am posting because I feel there is an attitude among SOME posters that there way is the only way and I think we can all achieve our fitness goals, but we may take a different path to get there. Personally I prefer metabolic training over traditional strength training because it is more exciting and intense to me. I want to get stronger, but gaining strength is not even in my top 3 fitness goals. At the end of the day I want to lose weight, run longer and faster. When i get closer to my goal weight, my fitness goals may change and lifting heavy may be exactly what I need, but for now it is just not the best choice for my fitness goals. Besides I find traditional strength training boring as hell. It is a chore to do and I get no enjoyment out of it. I do it when I have to, but avoid it if I can. Endurance activities speak to me. So if I had to choose between doing 100 Burpees and BW squats superset over doing 5 heavy weight squats, burpees win .

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Replies

• monica2410
    monica2410 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Like:smile:
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I think what some members neglect to mention when offering the advice to lift heavy, is the safety aspect that comes with it. Yes you can get great results with heavy lifting if your form is good, but newbies won't know anything about good form, which could lead to serious injuries, and just reading a book, online guide/ YouTube is not sufficient in my view. In that aspect newbies should get a trainer and work their way up to lifting heavy if they so desire.

I guess the main message I want to get over, is start slow, low weights, get good form and make sure you are looking after yourself. You don't want to snap your **** up!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, All Pros and Stronglifts 5x5 are all great programs and there are countless testimonies of people who have gained strength from those programs. But let's be clear, gaining strength is the priority of those programs, not weight loss. Weight loss is possible on a calorie deficit, but you would undermine the very goal of this program, which is to gain strength. While some posters on MFP like to promote those programs for weight loss over other programs, bodybuilding.com and other bodybuilder sites don't generally promote these routines where weight loss is the PRIMARY goal, because your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep up the gains. Plus these routines are strenuous and may cause the cardio to suffer. No problem if you don't care for cardio, a big problem if you are prepping for a 10K in a few months.

you can make significant strength increases while eating at a deficit, and the majority of people on here who are doing those programmes are eating at a deficit, and seeing a lot of success in how their bodies look. Yes, you don't get as much in terms of strength and mass gains eating at a deficit than you would eating at a surplus, but there are lots of women here who have really improved their body composition doing this. You do have to be realistic and understand that if your goal is maximum strength gains you eat at a surplus and you'll gain some fat along with the muscle.... and also that if aesthetics is your goal you eat at a deficit and you won't see as much strength gains as you would eating at a surplus (although you can choose to do a cut after a phase of eating at a surplus, so it's not like fat gains from bulking are going to prevent you from ever having 6 pack abs, if that's your goal)..... but you can still make remarkable progress in strength while eating at a deficit, especially as a beginner, because most of the strength you gain comes from neurological adaptation

As for bodybuilding v powerlifting... I've done both and seen far more success both in terms of strength and aesthetics from doing powerlifting. the problem with body building programmes is they tell people without much experience to do a bunch of isolation exercises and split routines, which really is not the best way to progress either in terms of aesthetics or strength. That's exactly what I was doing before starting stronglifts and I was making very little progress.......... then in just a few weeks of stronglifts I've made far more progress, both in terms of strength and how I look. Once someone's at an intermediate to advanced level, then maybe bodybuilding programmes do work better than powerlifting ones if the focus is on aesthetics, but for beginners and people who've not done serious strength training for more than a few months, stronglifts etc really does work a lot better. And I'm talking from personal experience.

regards running - there are a few women on my friends list (and men for that matter) who regularly run long distances while doing these kinds of programmes. I've not seen any complaints from them about these kinds of programmes interfereing with their progress at running. A lot of the issue re cardio interfereing with strength training is that either people are not eating enough to support the amount of cardio they're doing, or if the goal is purely about gaining strength, too much cardio can interfere with that goal. However if the goal is aesthetics and general health and fitness there's no reason why doing a programme like stronglifts would prevent someone also doing lots of cardio, if that's what they want.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I agree, and I think what some members neglect to mention when offering the advice to lift heavy, is the safety aspect that comes with it. Yes you can get great results with heavy lifting if your form is good, but newbies won't know anything about good form, which could lead to serious injuries, and just reading a book, online guide/ YouTube is not sufficient in my view. In that aspect newbies should get a trainer and work their way up to lifting heavy if they so desire.

I guess the main message I want to get over, is start slow, low weights, get good form and make sure you are looking after yourself. You don't want to snap your **** up!

the programmes mention emphasise the importance of starting light, working on form, and then building the weights up slowly. That's what they teach. They start with the empty bar (and you can start with less than that if the empty bar feels heavy) and you increase the weight slowly after you learn good form.
  • adorable_aly
    Options

the programmes mention emphasise the importance of starting light, working on form, and then building the weights up slowly. That's what they teach. They start with the empty bar (and you can start with less than that if the empty bar feels heavy) and you increase the weight slowly after you learn good form.

I realise this, but as a newbie it would be hard to know yourself what is good form, hence the need for a trainer or spotter.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Nice, and well spoken, OP! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I realise this, but as a newbie it would be hard to know yourself what is good form, hence the need for a trainer or spotter.

agreed, but the programmes do advise that (i.e. spotters, experienced people to advise on form), and there are also lots of videos on you tube... Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a really good beginner's programme, because of the detail Rippetoe goes into regarding correct form.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump want to come back to this and see where it goes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    A few great posts so far. Goal oriented training > one solution for all

I'll only add that the fun factor creates consistency: fun+consistency and goals > goal oriented training > any single program.

But I rarely see people saying that weight training is the only solution - it's usually a short cut to say it's the most efficient and general solution for body recomposition. But if you don't like it, how are you going to be consistent?

Do what you like that fits your goals, make it progressive. Rinse. Repeat.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Agreed^:drinker:

Edited for: Ironically I am checking this between sets.
  • adorable_aly
    Options

agreed, but the programmes do advise that (i.e. spotters, experienced people to advise on form), and there are also lots of videos on you tube... Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a really good beginner's programme, because of the detail Rippetoe goes into regarding correct form.

I do :heart: starting strength
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I do :heart: starting strength

I started with stronglifts, but someone recommended Rippetoe's videos on you tube to learn form, because they're way more informative than Mehdi's videos, and now I'm planning to buy Rippetoe's books. I'm currently doing stronglifts but seriously considering switching to starting strength.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    A good foundation is the key here. First correcting your posture, many people have desk or repetitive jobs, so any muscle imbalance must be corrected, and the body aligned with stretching and or yoga, if you do any exercise with poor posture it will at some point cause you injury! 2nd body weight, balance and coordination exercises, for example; Calisthenics, press ups, pull ups, planks to front/side, burpees, hanging leg raise, lunges forwards back and sideways, box jumps etc this is because we need to be fully functional and the neurological pathways need to be trained, I believe the development of core strength is paramount, after this you are ready to lift weight, the logic being this 'if you cannot stand correctly or effectively use your body under its own weight, then it is unwise to add extra heavy weight on top of a poor foundation'

As for lifting heavy, this is more about your desired end goal, as an example; I do martial arts so I have trained to have a well balanced body with a strong core and supple strength speed and endurance, so I do a lot of calisthenics and I lift 'mostly' low/medium high volume and do lots of body weight balance and stretching, because I need core and relaxed strength with speed and to have a full range of motion, basically I need to be agile.

I think what most people allude to when they propose lifting heavy is the importance of building muscle, so its from a metabolic view or mindset, and thats also a very important point,
  • rochey_1
    rochey_1 Posts: 37
    Options
    i as told to lift heavy as a beginner and then i was told to start with the lowest weight and work up to a heavier one.

I use dumbbells, just began lifting 2 weeks ago...I do 3 sets 10 reps with 2.4lb weight...Is that right ???
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point, but when someone posts that they've been doing 6 days a week of cardio for a year and not seeing the results they want, guess what the recommendation is going to be. It's not one size fits all but it's something that works, which is why it's mentioned so much here.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    As neadermagnon pointed out, strength gains are not always equivalent to mass gains especially for new lifters.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Seems like this was posted to start trouble.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

I'll give you some trouble :devil:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I agree.

I am going to add though, that regardless of the OP, heavy lifting is a great avenue for weight loss. There are lots of examples on this forum of people having great success. I have seen great examples on other websites like bodybuilding dot com and stronglifts dot com. The bottom line, it is about what is going to work for the individual but if something isn't working, such as cardio only, then you need to look at other options and the big one is heavy lifting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, if your goal is fat loss, not just weight loss strength training along with a caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to achieve it.

The caloric deficit can come from diet alone, or a combo of diet and cardio. But if you don't strength train or get enough protein a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, most people don't want to lose muscle, they want to lose fat.

FYI to the OP: heavy lifting is not bodybuilding. The heavy lifting people most ofter push is in the 5 rep range, bodybuilding for muscle growth happens most in the 8-12 rep range for most body parts, so heavy lifting =/= body building.
This discussion has been closed.