How disgusting is this...

Options

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Some days I can certainly relate to how the author feels about always being expected to lose weight and being expected to be interested in losing weight by everyone else. Sometimes it does seem unfair that a fat person just can't be okay with being fat BUT that being said, I am here for a reason and it's because I have been thinner and I understand how much better I felt by being at a healthier weight. Clearly that is not something the author has yet experienced or she would probably not choose to remain fat.

^^This. Exactly how I feel too.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's her choice but she should understand that actions come with consequences whether you like them or not.

This.

She is living in the present and not concerning herself with the future. It's dangerous to be young and dumb.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't find this distgusting. I find it empowering that she is finding a way to define herself in a way that makes sense to her. I do not agree with the way she is going about it, over-eating food for emotional satisfaction and being obese or over-weight for that reason is not healthy and is going to continually lead down a road of hardship when it comes to health for her. However like all women she will come to an impasse and possibly change her own mind and choose a different way to live. Personally I hope she ends up being healthy and happy regardless, I wish that for anyone.

Interesting read as well, thank you.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one's commented on how absolutely delish the sandwich in the original article looks:
    bacon_grilled_cheese-620x412.jpg

^this is why we are friends
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    this article is the best thing i've read all day. thanks!

(and to answer your question: not disgusting at all.)

would you feel the same way if it was an anorexic person who was just skin and bones? they are both destroying their health, bodies, future...

sorry. false equivalency. anorexia is a psychological disease, not a body type. you can't be anorexic and healthy, whereas you CAN be fat and healthy. as this woman clearly says in her article, according to all the tests that don't have to do with her weight, she is healthy. the point is, we're not speculating on her health here. we're speculating on her bodily autonomy as a human being with a right to do what she wants with her body, and how people take issue with that. the responses in this thread are perfect examples. what she chooses to do with her body has nothing to do with you, with the OP, with me, or with anyone else. (and don't even get me started on the whole ~omg i'm paying her healthcare~ bs, because as i've just stated, she's healthy so it's a non-issue.)

i think what's disgusting is the way that many doctors treat fat patients. it leads to fat people being terrified to go to the doctor, and then, guess what? when they do have a medical problem, by the time they get it treated it's exacerbated itself to a point it never should have, giving the doctor even more fuel to blame it on a patient's weight.

shame does not motivate most people to do anything. it makes them hate themselves, which is not conducive to change or healthy behavior. shame, simply put, does not work. that's a big part of what the author was getting at.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm not disgusted, I'm f*cking heartbroken. The Mama Bear in me is welling up for that little 7-year-old supergirl. As for the rest, I'm old enough to know that this probably isn't her final decision. At least I hope not.

Going to give my daughter extra hugs tonight.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    a5390a51adb72da39bdcda1bd299f67f.gif?1324212758

but i am IN for that sandwich.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

would you feel the same way if it was an anorexic person who was just skin and bones? they are both destroying their health, bodies, future...

sorry. false equivalency. anorexia is a psychological disease, not a body type. you can't be anorexic and healthy, whereas you CAN be fat and healthy. as this woman clearly says in her article, according to all the tests that don't have to do with her weight, she is healthy. the point is, we're not speculating on her health here. we're speculating on her bodily autonomy as a human being with a right to do what she wants with her body, and how people take issue with that. the responses in this thread are perfect examples. what she chooses to do with her body has nothing to do with you, with the OP, with me, or with anyone else. (and don't even get me started on the whole ~omg i'm paying her healthcare~ bs, because as i've just stated, she's healthy so it's a non-issue.)

i think what's disgusting is the way that many doctors treat fat patients. it leads to fat people being terrified to go to the doctor, and then, guess what? when they do have a medical problem, by the time they get it treated it's exacerbated itself to a point it never should have, giving the doctor even more fuel to blame it on a patient's weight.

shame does not motivate most people to do anything. it makes them hate themselves, which is not conducive to change or healthy behavior. shame, simply put, does not work. that's a big part of what the author was getting at.

shes only has healthy blo0d work cause she is 23.... that wont last long id she doesnt change her eating habits.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    i doubt she'll feel the same in twenty years. and one day she'll probably look back at all she's missed because she is overweight.

This.

It'll be a whole 'nother story if she ever develops diabetes or some other disease that her obesity puts her at significantly higher risk for later in life.

I've seen the same with my family members who were chronic smokers. They all said, "Hey it's fine" and "live and let live" or something along the lines of "i'm enjoying myself!" until all that smoking ended up killing them too soon. Then they regretted it, but it was far too late.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one's commented on how absolutely delish the sandwich in the original article looks:
    bacon_grilled_cheese-620x412.jpg

^^ I'm glad that someone else had this idea... I actually want to make one ASAP now lol yummmmm *drool*
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    you're an idiot for judging somebody.......
  • totalsham
    Options
    you're an idiot for judging somebody.......

judging... really?

:facepalm:
  • obeseandsassy
    Options

shes only has healthy blo0d work cause she is 23.... that wont last long id she doesnt change her eating habits.

this is going to be nitpicky but oh well. she's not 23. the article states that at the time she was at the clinic with her therapist, she was 23. it doesn't state her current age.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What's with people posting exuberant gifs about how they didn't read something? You proud of that?
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is disgusting? its her choice.

You're kidding... right?

It is her choice, even though she is just slowly killing herself. People who don't care about themselves can find ways to be content with all sorts of bad behavior: be it overeating, not exercising, doing drugs, sex addiction...you name it. She obviously has deep seated self esteem issues, and she's fighting against one thing she shouldn't be: her health. Still like another poster said, it is her choice, and she's not hurting ANYONE except for herself.

her family... her community... oh yea and the burden of the healthcare system

^^Yes, true, but have you ever been pressured to make a change? Does it work? I pressured my husband to stop smoking for 10 years, and it didn't work. All it did was ruin our relationship. He finally did stop smoking, but it took him having a SERIOUS health consequence. Some people think they are invincible and that all the statistics don't apply to them, and they don't realize they do until it's almost too late. She has to realize that what she is doing is hurting herself, and decide in her heart to change...not for anyone else, but herself. Only then will she be able to do it (as I'm sure you realized on your weight loss journey).

i feel you on this... but...

her "fat acceptance" is a just adolescent take on being ok with yourself. It is immature and self-destructive.

Instead of this chick, you know who us overweight people should paying attention to? Adele. She was defiant and vowed to never diet or bend to social pressure. Then she had a baby and realized was rationalizing and started living healthier. You don't have conform to some unattainable standard of beauty. You just have to not be selfish and set an example for your God Damned children.

I agree with you about Adele. I think we need more role models of people who are actually happy with themselves and trying to better themselves, rather than this woman who is obviously unhappy with herself and doesn't know how to make a life altering change. She needs to stop thinking about other people's expectations and live by her own, because in fact going against what "society" wants she is hurting herself and trying to proove a "point" in a stupid way!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think that she really means is that her weight doesn't define her as a person but everyone chooses to see her as a person who needs to lose weight period.

And even though I don't think that remaining obese is the best way to stick it up to the Man, I kinda get that.
    I've never been really fat, just 10-20lbs overweight. That's all my family could see.
    Last year I lost 20lbs in a little less than 3.5months, and that's all I could hear about. Nothing about the internship I got as a Law student or being a straight-A student or anything about my other accomplishments. It is and always was about weight and it's painful and maddening. It feels like one's persona doesn't really matter as long as they go along with everyone else's expectation.

But I must insist, remaining obese is certainly not the way to prove your point. But I kinda understand her.

^ My thoughts exactly, except to add that I was obese for most of my life. Families and friends always want to compliment you when you lose and badger you when you gain. It's great to see someone who actually doesn't want to be noticed merely because of her weight... **NOT** condoning the notion to remain obese to prove a point, but don't we all want to be happy and satisfied with ourselves at some, if not most, points in our life?
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    She's not 23!!!! she says "I am 23 at the time" which means when she's writing this whole things she's older.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    the girl is 23. it's very easy to feel strong and defiant against something in your late teens and early twenties.

i doubt she'll feel the same in twenty years. and one day she'll probably look back at all she's missed because she is overweight.

And all the things she's going to miss because of her increasingly bad health.

I get that people have psychological issues regarding weight. But to say, "I'm going to set myself up for bad health and missed experiences because I am damaged and refuse to change" is silly.

And I want to add that I've been in her shoes. I was a size 22, 230lb 27 year old. I thought that it was okay to be overweight. That it wasn't my problem that society judged me or that I felt bad about myself or that I couldn't....no wouldn't.....control my habits. But once I decided to change, I cannot even begin to explain how much life improved for me.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    She's not 23!!!! she says "I am 23 at the time" which means when she's writing this whole things she's older.

^jeez, relax a little
  • totalsham
    Options
    What's with people posting exuberant gifs about how they didn't read something? You proud of that?

lol i so agree with you on this... but i think thats just another topic for another day.

It isnt even a long story. in fact i say what i posted is a short story, but its just too long for them!