• angiestoltmanlee
    angiestoltmanlee Posts: 19 Member
    bump
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    bump
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    This is an issue I've fought with forever. I get told all the time I don't eat enough calories (1300 daily average) for the amount of exercise I do (600-1000 calorie workouts). But I'm so worried about gaining! Whenever I ate my APs in weight watchers my weight would SKYROCKET!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    here's the problem.

people think they can go from months or years of eating far below what their body needs to just eating what a person with a healthy metabolism would, and not gain (or even lose weight).

The thing is (and this is medical fact folks, you can read about it in most any human metabolism text), the body will adjust it's energy usage to how much intake you give it (within reason, you need a certain amount to stay alive no matter what). If you give your body 900 calories a day for 3 years, even if all the websites in the world calculate your resting metabolic rate at 1500, your body will reduce it's energy output to about 900. Why? Because the body isn't stupid, it won't keep eating itself to stay fully functional, it knows (in an autonomic sort of way) that if it does this, you'll eventually die from malnutrition. So it takes systems that are less vital and reduces their output. Things like hair, skin, and nail upkeep, brain function (that cloudy feeling you have when you don't eat), muscle mass...etc. things that you can survive with diminished capacity, to make sure things like your liver, your heart, and your lungs stay fully functional.

Returning from a reduced energy level to a normal one doesn't happen instantly, it takes months. If you know you are eating to little, and you want to get back to a normal calorie level, plan on 3 to 6 months of SLOWLY ramping your calories up before you plan any calorie reduction and/or heavy exercise.

You may not realize it, but you're functioning at a reduced rate, the body eventually compensates for this, so you can't normally tell, but it's happening, trust me, and this is a bad thing.

So would you eat more and have your body gain weight(fat weight)? Yes, if your body is set to a lower than expected level of calorie output sure you would, your body sees this extra fuel as "bonus points" and will store them as fat.

There's no shortcut to eating what you should be, it takes time to fix your broken metabolic rate, there's no way around it. But to be healthy, it needs to be done.

I can give you concepts you should research if you like. PM me with specific questions (this goes for anyone) and I'll do my best to help you find what you need.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Bump
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Saving for later.
  • stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member
    Bump
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Bump!!!!