Fasting never okay?

Options

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a ****storm here sorry folks

Ach. You just chose the right topic, that's all :)

Sit back and open the popcorn.....
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm...popcorn!!! :-)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Fasting for as few as 12 hours may reduce your metabolism by as much as 42%.

If you think that gets you closer to your health goals, by all means, go for it.

Personally, I do everything I can to increase my metabolism, not reduce it. So this is an ABSOLUTE no-no for me.

In my opinion, I would advise against it.

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds

Have you got a scientific link for that figure at all, I am curious.
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    Hi Di,

I found it once before, but didn't find it this morning...(which I said in my earlier post)...but check my earlier post in this thread (it's quite lengthy)...I posted at length about it.

Since it seems to be such a hot-button subject, I'll say again (for those reading this), it's what's worked for me. I think I've been pretty successful following this plan which has worked for me. It may, or may not, be for everyone. It's my experience.

You're more than welcome to read it, and message me if you have any questions...it's earlier in this thread. :-)

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • Emily_20x
    Emily_20x Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't fast. I went 65 hours doing a water fast and I was forced to eat. I felt so weak and sick its not worth it.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't get these water fast things. You starve yourself of food and then eventually you give give in to starvation and eat anything you get your hands on. Teaching you nothing about controlling your bad eating habits and screwing up your metabolism. I had the same issue as you, I would emotionally eat and/or eat out of pure boredom or just because it's there and I fancy it. Struggled to stick to any diet I tried long term. Then I discovered Intermittent Fasting. You only fast for one day (but you still eat 500 cals not nothing) and then the next day you can eat normally. It taught me that I don't have to eat all the time and ways to distract myself from wanting stuff I don't need and I lost 2 stone and it wasn't hard, even on the down days as you know saying no today isn't a problem as you can have what you want tomorrow. If you want to try something I would try this and not starvation which will do you no good whatsoever.
  • dontlistentothelies
    Options
    I fast sometimes. But, fasting for me is okay, because I am on antipsychotics which slow my metabolism so much that it is never high.

I would not recommend fasting though, because if you're not in the same position as me, it will only slow your metabolism and make it SO much harder to lose weight.
  • stefjc
    Options
    Oh dear.

I am sorry tequila... but that really isn't true. And, as has been posted here already, there is a lot of high quality research to show that.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Fast 2 days a week...eat only 500 calories. So Monday fast, Tuesday & Wednesday eat normal, Thursday fast, Friday & Saturday & Sunday eat normal

5:2 it's called. Wont harm you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    fasting is good, I do it all the time,
  • stefjc
    Options
    fasting is good, I do it all the time,

ALL the time, really? :-D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a ****storm here sorry folks

That's what the forums are for!! :happy:

People are very passionate about works for them and hate it when there are mis-informed attacks by people that are just shocked by the idea you don't actually need to be eating "3 square meals a day", or whatever myths they grew up (and grew fat..) on. Myths like "breakfast fires up your metabolism" or your "metabolism will crash if you don't stoke the furnace" also spring to mind...

IF certainly isn't necessary for everyone, some people try it and don't like it, some try it and find it works really well for them (like me - I do 5:2). There are also people that would be well advised not to fast (children, pregnant, previous eating disorder...).

Really don't think the idea of a long term (many day) fast is a good idea at all though and would hope you reconsider.

Here's some studies that a 5:2 buddy helpfully researched.....

Abstracts of clinical trial:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/69.abstract
    http://www.jlr.org/content/48/10/2212.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1138.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8544422
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about the science of it, but I fast for 30 days every year for the month of Ramadan.

Here's what I've noticed: I loose a bit of weight, but not much more than when I'm watching my calories outside of Ramadan. I do not gain weight after the month is over by gorging on food. I tend to make healthier choices and take smaller portions once the fasting month is over, because I'm not used to eating as much so I don't feel like I *need* larger portions.

Keep in mind, this is a spiritual fast as well as a physical fast, food is not the only thing we abstain from during Ramadan.

Also, different people fast differently during Ramadan, some people eat so much when breaking fast that they can barely stand, this is not what the Religion teaches, but many people do it anyways. This is why we hear a lot in our communities about how people gain weight during the month, it's because they fast all day and feast all night. This defeats the purpose.

These are just some of my experiences, but every body is different, and some people are physically unable to fast like those with illnesses like diabetes, or those who need to be taking medication at specific times during the day (These people are excused from fasting during Ramadan).

What I experience during fasting may be completely different from what the person next to me experiences, so my suggestion would be try it for a day or two and see how you feel. If you're getting dizzy and feel sick, then better break your fast, however if you find benefit in it, then great. Just listen to your body, and be safe when trying this sort of thing.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about the science of it, but I fast for 30 days every year for the month of Ramadan.

Here's what I've noticed: I loose a bit of weight, but not much more than when I'm watching my calories outside of Ramadan. I do not gain weight after the month is over by gorging on food. I tend to make healthier choices and take smaller portions once the fasting month is over, because I'm not used to eating as much so I don't feel like I *need* larger portions.

Keep in mind, this is a spiritual fast as well as a physical fast, food is not the only thing we abstain from during Ramadan.

Also, different people fast differently during Ramadan, some people eat so much when breaking fast that they can barely stand, this is not what the Religion teaches, but many people do it anyways. This is why we hear a lot in our communities about how people gain weight during the month, it's because they fast all day and feast all night. This defeats the purpose.

These are just some of my experiences, but every body is different, and some people are physically unable to fast like those with illnesses like diabetes, or those who need to be taking medication at specific times during the day (These people are excused from fasting during Ramadan).

What I experience during fasting may be completely different from what the person next to me experiences, so my suggestion would be try it for a day or two and see how you feel. If you're getting dizzy and feel sick, then better break your fast, however if you find benefit in it, then great. Just listen to your body, and be safe when trying this sort of thing.

Now this ^^^ is a damn good posting!!! :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I do a form of Intermittent Fasting from time to time. It helped me with my night eating. I myself prefer a form of fasting in which I eat something every day, for even a limited period.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't get these water fast things. You starve yourself of food and then eventually you give give in to starvation and eat anything you get your hands on. Teaching you nothing about controlling your bad eating habits and screwing up your metabolism. I had the same issue as you, I would emotionally eat and/or eat out of pure boredom or just because it's there and I fancy it. Struggled to stick to any diet I tried long term. Then I discovered Intermittent Fasting. You only fast for one day (but you still eat 500 cals not nothing) and then the next day you can eat normally. It taught me that I don't have to eat all the time and ways to distract myself from wanting stuff I don't need and I lost 2 stone and it wasn't hard, even on the down days as you know saying no today isn't a problem as you can have what you want tomorrow. If you want to try something I would try this and not starvation which will do you no good whatsoever.

You are discussing the 5:2 version of IF. There are different kinds, e.g., Leangains, Fast 5.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Now this ^^^ is a damn good posting!!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much :blushing:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I fast occasionally.
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    What a wonderfully written response. :-)

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fasting for days at a time with no food are not good for you. They can lead to eating disorders without you realising, speaking from past experience. Intermittent fasting, however, has been found to be the the best way to lose weight and reduce risks of heart disease etc. Researchers have tested lots of diets and found the healthiest way to diet is the 5:2 diet where you eat normally for 5 days a week and cut your calories to 500cal on 2 days a week. Or alternatively you can do the 8h diet where you set yourself a limit of 8h in the day where you can eat, for example 12pm - 8pm. Have a look at these. But I would not recommend extended fasting.

Of course limiting your calories to 15% below your TDEE works for everyone, but some people struggle to stick to this and find the 5:2 easier as you can still have cake etc on the non fasting days. My mum has been doing the 5:2 diet for about 2 months and lost just over a stone and a half and she still eats what she wants on the non fasting days.

I wish you a happy and healthy weightloss journey :)