Replies

• Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    working at a gas station, i was 14 :)
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    didn't have a real job till about 25 - customer service part time however prior to that I was a full time athlete and that's where all my time went.

don't get me wrong, being an athlete is a full time and a real job however it does not pay much unless you earn huge endorsement fees and participate in sports that provide the potential for earning a good income.

I chose the freedom/lifestyle over having a desk job until I got burnt out and injured too much)
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I worked in a ticket booth at a state park recreation area. My very first day this woman comes pulling up screaming and crying. She was yelling, "Please call the police or the rangers. I think my husband has been murdered."
    Freaked me out. Loooooooong story short, the guy had a terminal disease. He had taken his favorite dogs out on the lake early that morning. Came back to the boat ramp, put a shotgun between his knees, and ended his own life.
    Everytime I start a new job I always think, well my first day can't be as bad as that one!
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Small pet shop when I was 16. I prolly would have worked there for free honestly. I loved working with the animals. Got to hand raise all the birds. Pretty much managed the store. Feed and cleaned all the animals, keep the store clean and well stocked and handled all the sales. Was a lot of dirty work for a first job but I loved it. Fun times!
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I worked in a ticket booth at a state park recreation area. My very first day this woman comes pulling up screaming and crying. She was yelling, "Please call the police or the rangers. I think my husband has been murdered."
    Freaked me out. Loooooooong story short, the guy had a terminal disease. He had taken his favorite dogs out on the lake early that morning. Came back to the boat ramp, put a shotgun between his knees, and ended his own life.
    Everytime I start a new job I always think, well my first day can't be as bad as that one!

Yikes!
  • NaughtyNancy69
    Options
    Lifeguard, dancer :)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Secretary to a judge, who happened to be my mom.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Aside from the paper route in my early teens, I got a job as a part-time short order cook, around mid-teens. Worked at an arena in winter and ball diamond during summer. Burgers, hot dogs, fries and rings were the only things I had to cook and also sold chips, pop, candy and other essential canteen goodies. .
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    At 15, I started as kitchen help in an Italian restaurant. When I turned 16, I began hostessing at the same restaurant. Left there to work in fast food less than a year later.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Oh, how sad.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Dairy Queen at 16.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First unofficial job was babysitter age 11. First official one was lifeguard age 16.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    steering the tractor or combine on my dads lap. first paycheck was when i sold my first pig, maybe 9
  • Bocomomom
    Bocomomom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My junior year of high school I was a cashier at Dairy Queen.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    My junior year of high school I was a cashier at Dairy Queen.

DQ friends! :D
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I flipped burgers at Jack in the Box for about 3 months after high school.

Then I enlisted and did 6 years in the Navy in the Nuclear Propulsion Program.

Got out in 2000, and have since been a stationary equipment operator for Abbott Nutrition.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    At 14, working on the railroad with my uncles construction company.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Working on my dad's commercial fishing boat off the Oregon coast, when I was 15 and 16. I got paid 3% of the profits.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Removing and later reattaching interior door panels at an automobile rustproofing shop.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    track attendant at a go-cart/speed boat track when i was 15..... was a great first job... got to meet loads of cute girls and got invited to tons of parties with them...