Am I the only one who thinks greek yogurt is GROSS?!

Options

Replies

• rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Which brand and flavor of greek yogurt did you eat? There are all different kinds and some are great!
  • carthy15
    carthy15 Posts: 1
    Options
    The Dannon Oikos is the ONLY brand of the greek yogurt I will eat. My friend was in the same boat as you and I had her try the vanilla and she loved it. I have had several other brands and I agree, those are gross, but the Dannon one has me hooked and for 12g of protein I am glad. I add it to smoothies to pump up my protein with out expensive powders.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple tips:

Stir it really well. It'll get creamy.
    Don't buy plain. And don't buy the ones with fruit already in them. (Ick!) I buy vanilla and add my own fresh fruit.
    Kroger has their own brand of "lite" greek yogurt. The vanilla is in a 6 oz cup. 16g of protein for only 90 calories.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't like it plain... it's gotta have some flavoring.

But I would like to try more recipes with it.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing until I had Fage.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's worth trying a few different brands, they all taste different. I don't like it plain but I do like Chobani, Danio or Liberte with fruit.

Oh and Fage with honey but that's hard to find my way, and expensive.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I guess you love the chemicals and preservatives in regular yogurt. Not for me. I don't eat junk.
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use to think the same thing before coming to MFP. I would never, ever, ever eat it alone, but it is so amazing mixed with different things, from sub it for sourcream with tacos or baked potatoes, to making creamy sauces, to baking, and mixing it in smoothies. The uses of this stuff is endless. Now I am never without a tub of it in my fridge.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are the only one.

Just kidding...but I do think you may be in the minority!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just add bacon.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I like it, but only certain flavors!
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Cheap Greek yogurt can be seriously nasty. I cannot do it at all.... Blech.

Chobani, Fage and Oikos all rock.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Its too thick, and leaves my mouth feeling all coated and nasty.

I hear that all the time. Just swallow it for now till you get used to the taste. Eventually you'll come to love the texture and feeling of it in your mouth. It's a great way to get in protein so it's worth working on getting used to.

QFT
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Nope, I hate it too.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    By itself i hate it, but add honey and i love it :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, but regularly eat bulgarian yogurt which is not as thick. When i need it thicker (for a recipe), i just strain it with cheeseclth
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't like greek yogurt either. It is way too thick and leaves my stomach feeling overfull. You know the feeling when you eat too much and sick to your stomach and you just wish you could throw up to feel better. Yeah that's it for me!
  • chelebeezy
    chelebeezy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I truly don't like it either an it is an acquired taste lol. Some ppl do, some don't. Some people like almond milk, some ppl don't! People have diff tastes! I personally don't care for the texture or the tartness... but, I do like frozen yogurt, so I go to TCBY and they have greek frozen yogurt with honey flavor and they usually pair it with a berry or fruit swirl.... so... that is actually really good! (cause whatever honey they put in counteracts the tart.... the fruit drowns out the tart too, and you're still getting your greek yogurt protein on) :P

But a lot of ppl may think thats cheating, I like to call it improvising. LOL.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    It's not that bad to me lol

I think I have had Dannon Light and Fit (or was it Yoplait)? And it wasn't bad....it was thick, and more fulfilling than the regular non fat yogurt.

Then I tried some of the brands sold in Whole Foods and actually found those weren't too bad either!!!! I do need the protein, but the flavored ones still have too much sugar! so my next step is getting the plain yogurt and adding fresh/frozen fruit to it. That may or may not cut out the sugar, but I am leaning that it may cut it down because the simple fact that the fruit used in the yogurt comes from fruit topping, not whole fruit.

But hey, to each his own. I probably won't like the plain Greek yogurt, but like another poster stated I am just going to put it in my mouth and swallow!!! It's a great source of protein lol
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I have tried multiple brands and just can't stomach the texture. I mostly don't like yogurt that much anyway though