Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi my name's Karl.. and I'm a WoW addict. It's been 4 years since I last logged on. I should get some type of badge for that right? :P

This made me LOL... it's true though. At first, it's hard to stay away. It's been a few years for me as well. Now I stick to free to play games when I get the time. Love that Rift just went free to play, it's not too bad!
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ack! Steam Summer Sale ...... Big nerd here (No pun intended) Feel free to add me if you want more support lol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a nerd and a geek now a days. :yawn:
  • Epyhon
    Epyhon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nerd for life. Anime, comics, TV shows, etc. I'm there. I've used Excel to graph my progress in the past. Need help staying motivated and focused, I'm there if you need me.
  • morehplesswt
    Options
    PC Gamer Here!

You can find me playing anything from COD to SWTOR to The Binding of Issac!

I also started a weight loss Vlog on youtube trying to find a better way to be a gamer and healthy at the same time.

I don't want to give up my nerd habits but I know I need to change some of them.

If you are in a similar situation as me feel free to add me on here or check out my vlog

http://www.youtube.com/user/MoreHPLessWT
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Compter programmer by day, gamer by night and I exercise somewhere in between. Pretty much a console gamer and mostly xbox 360, but that is just because that is what I have. I have a wii -mostly for Zelda and Mario. Zombies, bandits, Big Sisters, Head Crabs, Flood, and the dark side are just a few of the enemies I battle. Oh, and I am 39 and a girl. Started with Atari 2600 and just keep evolving instead of aging.
  • GGinNC
    GGinNC Posts: 7
    Options
    Good morning. I too, am a proud nerd.

Let me define: I agree with various venn diagrams around that describe a a nerd as being the curious intersection between intelligence, social ineptitude, and obsession. I work in IT, having done just about every job their is except hardcore programming (I can say "Hello World" several languages.): I've worked on a helpdesk, as a DBA, an architect, a system's engineer, and now a, Infrastructure project manager (I like cooling fans and blinking lights!)

The pinacle of my IT / nerd career was managing the integration of a paper company that bought a diaper company. The glorious opportunities for bathroom humor, combined with the need to wear a hard hat and steel toe boots brought joy that can hardly be compared.

Plus there was cheese involved. (From cows, not lame attempts at humor.)

Having spent my career in small fabric covered boxes, sitting nearly motionless for weeks at a time, and in an environment that values intelligence and can look down on fitness, I'm dramatically overweight and starting to have health problems. (I'm not diabetic--yet, but am slow to heal, have funkly liver enzyme levels due to a fatty liver, and more aches and pains than I've earned.)

In June, my daughter decided to join the National Guard to help pay for school. I'm so proud of her that I am using this as my excuse to get back into shape. I started working out and dieting on July 1.

In that time period, I've dropped about 12 lbs, reduced my body fat by over 2%, lowered my BMI by 1.7 points. I'm burning between 500 and 1200 calories a day in excercise, 4-6 days a week and generally staying under my calorie goals.

Here's where I get nerdy: I got discouraged last week about the pace of my weight loss. I figured it should have been more. (Don't bother giving me reasons why I'm doing fine. I get that now.) So I gathered all of the various formulas and did a huge analysis of my net calories, how much I should have lost based on the math, and what I'd actually lost. I was sure I was going to find a flaw in the math, but the net difference was 1/2 of one pound. Arggh. Nerd rage!

So I'm learning to be healthy, how to be active, how to take small steps, and how getting in shape is not one decision; it's a million little ones. I've also learned that while I can eat whatever I want, I can't eat it whenever I want, nor in quantities I want. I guess if I eat like a 180 lb male who gets moderate excercise, physics and chemistry mean that I'll eventually have to weigh 180ish lbs. If I'm in a fight with the math, the math will eventually win.

Good luck to those on your own journey. It's ok to whine a little (are-we-there-yet?) from time to time, but we can't stop at every exit ramp.
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    Woot! I love nerds, and being a nerd. Marvel. <3 Going to NY Comic Con this year too. Feel free to add me!
  • BeautyNBrainZ
    BeautyNBrainZ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi... 22...well I'll be 23 in a little over a month... year old computer nerd/computer engineer...whichever makes more sense... I'm just an information sponge...if it interests me I wanna know more!!!! Movies, cartoons, not the biggest gamer but if you invite me to play I'm definitely down..forgot to mention I LOVE ZOMBIES!!! Anyway...ADD ME IF YOU'D LIKE!!!

1709583.png
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, after reading through the posts, I guess I am better classified as a Geek than nerd. Though I am a Project Manager, I tend to be the unofficial IT person at work. Hahahaha. Yes I watch Anime, and attend the yearly Renaissance festival every year.
  • tonya3580
    tonya3580 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is tonya i am new here looking for support in my journey to lose a total of 120 pds but taking it slowly trying to lose 50 pounds to start.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm sorta nerdy...as others have said, I'm not sure how I would classify myself either but...I love the most recent superhero movies (Joss Whedon is amazing!), comics (Marvel) & went to my first Comicon this year. Add me if you like. :smile:

I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should go to NY ComicCon this year. A friend of mine will have a superhero lingerie booth and wants me to model this year XD We'll see. If I can meet my physical goals by that time I think I'll go. Eve Myles is guest starring this year and it'd be cool to meet her (although I'd much rather John meet John Barrowman).
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a classic gamer. In particular, Nintendo. Though, I do like some current games. Sometimes I play DS while I'm on my exercise bike. I also like reading and drawing manga, though I haven't really had much interest in a while. I'm a total linguaphile, which may explain my verbosity. And I'm all about dog behavior and training. (Does that count as nerdiness? lol) I suppose that's as far as my nerd-dom extends. I think just about anything else I like that even comes close is rather mainstream.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Did your wallet cry during the Steam Summer Sale?

I'm Jorean. Total nerd. Comics, games, books, Doctor Who and Joss Whedon love. Nerd stuff.

I assumed mine would but I was too busy working to keep checking in on the sale, still got some good games cheap and am getting my new gaming laptop after work today. So flipping excited!

Definitely consider myself a geek/nerd. I fall into both categories easily haha, so feel free to add me :)
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm sorta nerdy...as others have said, I'm not sure how I would classify myself either but...I love the most recent superhero movies (Joss Whedon is amazing!), comics (Marvel) & went to my first Comicon this year. Add me if you like. :smile:

I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should go to NY ComicCon this year. A friend of mine will have a superhero lingerie booth and wants me to model this year XD We'll see. If I can meet my physical goals by that time I think I'll go. Eve Myles is guest starring this year and it'd be cool to meet her (although I'd much rather John meet John Barrowman).

I wear my nerd badge proudly!

I go to the BY Comic-Con every year! You should definitely do the superhero booth!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nerd here... Have to be to survive in my house..
    I don't do a lot of gaming, but when I do, I prefer RPG games on XBOX 360. Skyrim, Dragonage, etc..
    I read a lot of RA Salvatore, and the Dragonlance Series.
    I play Magic and help my boys when they are creating/updating their characters for D&D that they play on Sundays.

Also an excel junkie... I also have my weight and inches lost plugged into excel:)
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am in a relationship with my 360. Some of my favourite games are Mass Effect, GTA, Saint's Row, Halo, AC. I used to LOVE the Pokemon games on the game cube/game boy. So sad they don't have them for Xbox. If I had a desktop, I'd be ALL over Steam. I'm also a book worm. My library card says "Chicks Dig Big Brains" TRUTH! :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • Marcidy
    Marcidy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    FINALLY!!!!! I'm in love with Doctor Who and just about every other scifi/fantasy book, TV show, and movie ever made. If I could I would marry Logan from XMen, but then i'd probably end up dead...which wouldn't be cool. I'm not into video games, mostly because i'm terrible at them, but I've found a special place for Skyrim. Feel free to add me! More nerds=better discussion :D
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I wear my nerd badge proudly!

I go to the BY Comic-Con every year! You should definitely do the superhero booth!

I will be a NY Comicon with my daughter because I turned her into super geek.

I also Agree, wanna meet Eve Myles, but John Barrowman I would totally die. I am having a brain fart, but the actor that played Ianto is going to be there as well.