Online Dating!

Options
I haven't had much luck with dating lately so I am thinking of doing online dating. I'm kind of nervous about it though!

I was hoping you guys could share your experiences with online dating. Any tips or advice?

Thanks! :)

And also which site is the best? Haha, I don't know what site I should use!

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I just now saw a commercial for www.howaboutwe.com. You sign on and post a date idea, then go out. Sounds fun. I've used PoF before and met a couple of decent guys and some weirdos... Be honest is my advice.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I have done it, but not via dating sites. I imagine those attract a lot of creepers and emotionally unstable people.
  • time2change14
    Options
    I have done it, but not via dating sites. I imagine those attract a lot of creepers and emotionally unstable people.

Yeah you're probably right about that. But hopefully I will be able to weed out the creepers from the good guys!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience with it but one of my best friends is currently engaged to someone he met online, another friend and his wife (met online) are about to have a baby, and my roommate and her boyfriend (met online) celebrated their one year anniversary in may and everything is still going very well there. So I definitely wouldn't knock it.

Two of the aforementioned couples used Ok Cupid because it is free. I am not sure what site the married couple used, but in all three cases everyone was upfront and completely honest about who they were and what they were interested in - both in terms of general interests and what kind of relationship they were looking for. When you start making connections don't be afraid to talk to several people and go on several dates. As a warning, I also have a friend who is very charming and sweet but he uses Ok Cupid solely for hookups. I supposed the answer to that one is easy: stay out of the bedroom on the first date or two and see if he still calls!
  • time2change14
    Options
    I just now saw a commercial for www.howaboutwe.com. You sign on and post a date idea, then go out. Sounds fun. I've used PoF before and met a couple of decent guys and some weirdos... Be honest is my advice.

That does sound fun!
  • time2change14
    Options
    Ugh, so I decided to create a profile on datehookup.com and all the responses I've gotten so far are from creeps just wanting to hookup! I'm already ready to give up :( And if your wondering my pictures were all conservative with all of them being just face shots and one of me in a dress. Am I doing it wrong? :(
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    plz stay safe i dont like this julie
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My friend is in a serious relationship with a great guy she met relatively quickly on eHarmony and seems very happy. When she showed me her profile and matches I was really impressed at the amount of men on there who were attractive, educated, and seemed like good guys and not weirdos.

Conversely, my sister ended up with a restraining order against the guy she met on there. Good luck!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so I decided to create a profile on datehookup.com and all the responses I've gotten so far are from creeps just wanting to hookup! I'm already ready to give up :( And if your wondering my pictures were all conservative with all of them being just face shots and one of me in a dress. Am I doing it wrong? :(

You do understand you signed up for a website that is named datehookup.com, right?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

At least you're pretty. :laugh:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

lmao Well you DID sign up at at DateHOOKUP.com
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i met my boyfriend online... from mfp actually. bahahaaaaa!~
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Depends on what site your on. Don't get catfished though .
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    A quick rundown of online dating

If you have the vaj and are even remotely aesthetically pleasing (say 5 and up/10), you get inundated with tons of emails. You pic the attractive pictures, delete the rest. Then check profiles to weed out the ones you reply to.

If you have the d, you send an email to every profile that has a remotely aesthetically pleasing pic hoping to make the cut, and rarely get a reply because the odds just aren't in your favor. However, if you are aesthetic (say 7 and up/10), you will get quite a few messages from 0-3 or so/10 thinking they have a shot.

Basically, as a female you can generally date 2-3 notches above your level (aesthetically speaking), whereas a male generally has to drop a couple notches below his level to have consistent results.

Call me shallow, but that is the reality as confirmed by personal experience as well as several others, male and female included.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met online (Yahoo Personals I think in 2005) and we'll be celebrating our 6th anniversary on Sunday. I agree with the others, you get some nice people and you get some real whackos. I would talk to people for a while before agreeing to go out. I figured if they were creeps looking for targets, they wouldn't want to put in a bunch of time talking to me first.

If you decide to do it, be safe and be smart. Good luck!
  • time2change14
    Options

You do understand you signed up for a website that is named datehookup.com, right?

Haha wow I sound so stupid. :blushing: Maybe that's why I'm single LOL! Of course I know it is called datehookup.com but my friend recommended it and that's how she got her boyfriend, not HOOKUP. :laugh: I knew I would get messages from creeps about only hooking up, but I was hoping that I would get a message from at least one decent guy! But guess not! :/
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've done it, got too invested in the person, and was completely catfished. Never doing it again, I'd rather meet someone and have a real relationship over virtually "caring" for someone that could be completely lying about everything.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Met my hubby online. Yes you may have to sift through the weirdos at first, but there are some decent guys on dating websites. Best wishes!
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    A quick rundown of online dating

If you have the vaj and are even remotely aesthetically pleasing (say 5 and up/10), you get inundated with tons of emails. You pic the attractive pictures, delete the rest. Then check profiles to weed out the ones you reply to.

If you have the d, you send an email to every profile that has a remotely aesthetically pleasing pic hoping to make the cut, and rarely get a reply because the odds just aren't in your favor. However, if you are aesthetic (say 7 and up/10), you will get quite a few messages from 0-3 or so/10 thinking they have a shot.

Basically, as a female you can generally date 2-3 notches above your level (aesthetically speaking), whereas a male generally has to drop a couple notches below his level to have consistent results.

Call me shallow, but that is the reality as confirmed by personal experience as well as several others, male and female included.

i can confirm i was 10/10 hbb
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I met my current bf on okcupid.
    I went on a lot of fun and some really odd dates before I met him.
    I think we are both fairly normal. I guess of the two of us I am more likely to be the serial killer.
    We both have time intensive jobs that don't allow for a lot of socializing. He works 7 days a week and I travel a ton. It's nice to have someone that understands I can only see them once or twice a week.