Weight gain and loss is SIMPLE

Options

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Go him. Point across in 3 minutes, and I feel fantastic about myself after watching. :drinker:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Pretty good, though I think it oversimplifies.

Hormones are incredibly important, and are often left out of the discussion entirely. Also, I'm afraid that people will conflate simple and easy when they ain't even kissin' cousins.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with you ...

Just pointing out the absurdity of the debate.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat ... 100 calories of butter has the same calories as 100 calories of lettuce.

But nobody says butter and lettuce have the same amount of calories ...

Word to your mother.
  • mdauclair
    mdauclair Posts: 8
    Options
    Great video!! Thanks! Always wonderd what was missing in my diet ....
  • urgravity01
    Options
    Hello,

Your video is great. I agree with you that weight gain and lose is simple process. But accordiing to me, we can gain weight easily than weight loss. Weight loss take too much time and we can gain weight in the short period of time.

Thanks
  • violasrbest
    violasrbest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love the video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. Seemed pretty clear to me that it was supposed to be a simple, clear guide to the basics, and as such only covered 95% of what people need to know.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    Hello,

Your video is great. I agree with you that weight gain and lose is simple process. But accordiing to me, we can gain weight easily than weight loss. Weight loss take too much time and we can gain weight in the short period of time.

Thanks

Agreed. However, this is from an unknown intake in calories. Foods today are highly addictive and satiating (for a reason), and the body constantly craves more to try and obtain what you're eating is lacking.

With that said, this calorie goal STILL takes a lot of discipline, and if you eat at a deficit of maintenance (once again its NOT easy to find out what your true maintenance is, this is a starting guideline) you will lose weight, but the very awareness that it exists can help you create that discipline, even while eating the foods you still love. But thats why I say get your fiber. Micro nutrients are important too.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ignoring all the snidey comments at the beginning of this post, OP did a great job with the video!!!!

sadly MFP is fun for some sad people to lurk and grab info of the net to attack other people with, I noticed this a long time ago. The OP did a great vid, then along come the buttheads who know more than everyone else. Yes, we can google stuff tooooo!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    For those of you new to how gaining and losing weight works.

This video explains it in three minutes. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDyY8mfrjP0

Great video for beginners man! Screw the critics they just enjoy picking apart everything you say just to feel good about themselves when you should because you're helping people that just want a simple guideline and not be scared or bombarded with all the little details that go into eating right and exercising.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    haha! I agree with all of this.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Love it! ESPECIALLY the f***ing fibre! :drinker:
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Great video! Thanks for sharing!!
  • FocusNfit
    FocusNfit Posts: 7
    Options
    Love it!
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Great video for beginners man! Screw the critics they just enjoy picking apart everything you say just to feel good about themselves when you should because you're helping people that just want a simple guideline and not be scared or bombarded with all the little details that go into eating right and exercising.

Well, they have every right to chime in, but I just think they disregard the idea behind the video and immediately jump on the opportunity to be the "scientist". So as long as their info is correct it doesn't hurt. People can choose to read their posts just as they did to watch my video.

However, very well said - "people that just want a simple guideline and not be scared or bombarded with all the little details that go into eating right and exercising". You don't need a phd in nutrional or excercise sciences to make great progress.

Thanks for all the support, feedback and new subscribers so far. People like yall make this worth the effort (though its a blast either way)
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, they have every right to chime in, but I just think they disregard the idea behind the video and immediately jump on the opportunity to be the "scientist". So as long as their info is correct it doesn't hurt. People can choose to read their posts just as they did to watch my video.

Kidding aside (man, I haven't had a poptart in probably 10 years but you've made me want one) I agree with this. Its all well and good to jump on the video and say its not detailed enough or its not that basic and if we're talking about overall long term fitness, maybe not. Even then if you follow what you said in the video you're going to be doing pretty good. But most people are pretty pathetic when it comes to their health and wellness so these guidelines can only help them.

I will say one thing that I do disagree with you on the cardio aspect. I've always done heavy cardio because I enjoy it but I also appreciate the need for overall body wellness and added in working with a personal trainer at the gym in addition to my triathlon training routine. Noone needs to do the amount of cardio I do but cardio should be viewed as working the very important muscle called your heart and also your lungs. It can and should be part of any training plan.
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    I will say one thing that I do disagree with you on the cardio aspect. I've always done heavy cardio because I enjoy it but I also appreciate the need for overall body wellness and added in working with a personal trainer at the gym in addition to my triathlon training routine. Noone needs to do the amount of cardio I do but cardio should be viewed as working the very important muscle called your heart and also your lungs. It can and should be part of any training plan.

Agreed. Did you not see annotation? It states that you can add cardio as part of routine.

However, for body composition alone (once again, disregarding more detailed concepts for now). It is not necessary.

I've swam twice for 15 minutes, cutting since march.. I'm significantly leaner already.
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great video! Thanks
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    In
    terms
    of
    physical
    size
    skullskank

oh i hear ya dude.

it just happens to be one of those hot-button topics.
    much like cows milk, or starvation mode, or sugar being bad, or clean vs dirty eating, or 1200 calories, or water fasting, or the cayenne diet, or the lemon cleanse, or cauliflower cupcakes, or cauliflower pizza crust, or cauliflower root beer floats...

the list. goes. on.

It's almost too much to legitimize the argument by calling it a "hot-button topic". It's a hot-button topic among pedants who don't understand that sometimes adults can have conversations with contextual meaning without going so far as to explain every single piece of what they said.

"Muscle weighs more than fat."

The statement has absolutely no meaning without the underlying assumption that you're referring to equal volumes of both -- i.e., density. So, you can take this two ways:

1. Assume that the person speaking doesn't understand how a pound works, or
    2. Assume that the person speaking isn't a gibbering idiot, and understand what they're actually saying.

Luckily, in life, 99% of the people will choose 2. It's just the internet that gives a forum for the #1s. Internet points! High five!