Options
    wow, this thread is really taking off
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So, I can't cast a vote for all the hot ladies? :grumble:

Its allowed

In
    for 10 pages of "No you're hot"...".nooo you're hotter".."I wish i could look even half as good as you".."No,you make me want to switch sides"
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Hopefully it's being ignored because people realise how truly pathetic this is.
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Exactly. Wanted to point out it was objectifacatory, but hey, if we ignore the thread it will go away :D
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

MFP may yet surprise me with showing good taste.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

thats not it.Most are sleeping right now
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Exactly. Wanted to point out it was objectifacatory, but hey, if we ignore the thread it will go away :D
    the world needs more guys like you two. thank you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to go ahead and put this here preemptively:

tumblr_m06o3dW2fV1qci7aeo1_500_zps1096f813.gif
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of these threads, it's true, and you can see it as objectifying or you can see it as people appreciating others' hard work and it's all for fun. Some people here spend a lot of time being self-conscious and if these little praises give them an ego-boost, what's the harm in that?

Besides, if you don't like it just skip it.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    tough crowd
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    We have a lot of these threads, it's true, and you can see it as objectifying or you can see it as people appreciating others' hard work and it's all for fun. Some people here spend a lot of time being self-conscious and if these little praises give them an ego-boost, what's the harm in that?

or, to play devil's advocate:

you could see it as appreciating other people's hard work, or you could see it as perpetrating the belief that it's looks that really matter. a lot of people on here are self conscious and never being mentioned in these sorts of threads just adds to that.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I completely understand the 'say something about someone that has asked you to' threads where people post and then people comment on that; as by posting the person has consented.

A thread that's basically entitled 'Let's all discuss women that some of us know personally, and comment on how 'hot' they are, without their knowledge' is downright creepy. I don't think that's right. These women are not asking for these comments, and I personally think it is chauvinistic and degrading to discuss people without their knowledge. Especially something as pathetically 'blokey' as how hot they are.

Tough crowd is incorrect. Morally decent with a modicum of common sense is closer to the truth.

What I discuss WITH people on my friends list is one thing, but talking ABOUT them is completely different. In my humble opinion.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    No chit-chat fun allowed in here
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I completely understand the 'say something about someone that has asked you to' threads where people post and then people comment on that; as by posting the person has consented.

A thread that's basically entitled 'Let's all discuss women that some of us know personally, and comment on how 'hot' they are, without their knowledge' is downright creepy. I don't think that's right. These women are not asking for these comments, and I personally think it is chauvinistic and degrading to discuss people without their knowledge. Especially something as pathetically 'blokey' as how hot they are.

Tough crowd is incorrect. Morally decent with a modicum of common sense is closer to the truth.

What I discuss WITH people on my friends list is one thing, but talking ABOUT them is completely different. In my humble opinion.

:drinker:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Diodelcibo I think.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    I guess that depends on whether your idea of fun has to be at somebody else's expense.
    if not, there is plenty of fun to be had without complaints.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

its just a boring topic to be honest, most people on MFP are overweight and are trying to get healthier or fitter or slimmer (or whatever!) for themselves.

And you are making a topic about the minority of fabulous women who have achieved their goals (because lets be honest, only the woman who are toned and athletic are going to win this 'reward')

So it makes all the others who are starting their journey feel like they are worthless.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I guess that depends on whether your idea of fun has to be at somebody else's expense.
    if not, there is plenty of fun to be had without complaints.

:wink: