Honey Boo Boo; your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it, but I read interviews about them -- apparently Mama June set up trusts for the girls and they live according to a financial plan -- so they live responsibly - so I mean, yeah. Make fun if these peeps all you want -- they seem happy and are getting paid.

Yes, they def live responsibly. Just look at them.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    it's a show for entertainment, if you want something mindless to watch and laugh to, honey boo boo is a mediocre filler for time that you would otherwise enjoy wasting. The same as housewives, kardashians, and pretty much anything on MTV, E! or VH1. (Or any channel nowadays)

I love Duck Dynasty > Honey Boo Boo as far as my storyless show.

I'll drink to that :drinker:
    It's almost embarassing how obsessed I am with Duck Dynasty :blushing: Probably because it's pretty similar to how I grew up haha
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I saw South Park's parody of it before I saw it for the first time. Or at least I assumed they were parodying it, but it was much the same. It's beyond parody. I was actually expecting her to pick out a pig.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I watched barely 15 minute, commercials included. I think the little girl does say some funny things, I just really dont agree with how the kids are raised... They do look happy but a bit out of control. ( probably an understatement) Probably wont watch again, there are better shows IMHO.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it, but I read interviews about them -- apparently Mama June set up trusts for the girls and they live according to a financial plan -- so they live responsibly - so I mean, yeah. Make fun if these peeps all you want -- they seem happy and are getting paid.

I have a tendency to not mistake how people eat and how they look with what they are worth as people. There are far worse fates in life than eating poorly, being overweight -- particularly if you are happy and loved.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    its stupid funny that makes me laugh out loud, like snort laughing...
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Love this show, is my guilty pleasure!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    sloth-no.gif
  • obeseandsassy
    Options

I have a tendency to not mistake how people eat and how they look with what they are worth as people. There are far worse fates in life than eating poorly, being overweight -- particularly if you are happy and loved.

^^^BAM.

Do I agree with the things they eat? Not particularly. But you know what, even with all their antics, they're a strong family who really LOVES each other, and as was said before, the mother's putting the money from the show in trust funds, you don't see them moving into a mansion or really changing their lifestyle just because they're 'famous' now. They're not all taking advantage of each other a la the Kardashians, they're not trying to create drama to make headlines, they're just living their lives. I respect that, and I think TV needs a lot more of that.

I think it's in very poor taste that people judge these people based on looks alone (walrusbeast? really?) if I could only pick one or the other, I'd rather have a family raising their children to be nice, good, decent caring people than healthy. Obviously both would be optimum, but my point remains.

I could go into a whole rant about how 'reality tv' is anything but and i miss the old days like the first couple seasons of The Real World but I won't.

editing to add a relevant blog post about the show, which is pretty much how I feel: http://scream26.tumblr.com/post/33554414766/honey-boo-boo-rant
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Parents should not exploit their children for money.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it is shameful that this mother is exploiting this child. I think this kid will never live down the Honey Boo boo personna. I think she is going to grow up confused and troubled, and it will be her mother's fault.
  • Zomoniac
    Options

Pretty sure they were dropped on their heads at birth though.

Never deliver standing up.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way. I don't watch it because I just don't find it entertaining. I wouldn't call it exploiting her child because while the show is centered around the kid, they are all in the spotlight. Beside, isn't it the same with all child actors? Should we not allow kids in movies and on tv now?
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    I don't care either way. I don't watch it because I just don't find it entertaining. I wouldn't call it exploiting her child because while the show is centered around the kid, they are all in the spotlight. Beside, isn't it the same with all child actors? Should we not allow kids in movies and on tv now?

I think most people see a child actor as playing a character who is not them. When you're in a reality show that is based on the principle of "let's make a show about this child because she's fat and ugly and retarded and her family are inbred and people like pointing and laughing at yokels!" at that sort of age then it's a very different game.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can't really say. She's a cute kid, but I honestly don't feel they need that kind of attention nationwide. At least not as young as she is. It can cause a good number of problems down the road.

Toddlers and Tiaras and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo I toss in the same pile with 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom. It's crap because it's 'reality' and it glorifies things that don't need to be. Why I say 'reality'? Yeah, it's real, but a good bit of it is actually scripted or they go over it with more enthusiasm to make it seem something that it isn't.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat glass than watch Honey Boo Boo.

I agree with the above statement oh so very much! But still, you have to admit...

that family loves each other unconditionally... :drinker:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

I think most people see a child actor as playing a character who is not them. When you're in a reality show that is based on the principle of "let's make a show about this child because she's fat and ugly and retarded and her family are inbred and people like pointing and laughing at yokels!" at that sort of age then it's a very different game.

I haven't watched the show. I've only seen clips here and there and I wasn't impressed, but I didn't see enough to come to such an astute judgment of other people and the way they live their life.

The only difference between this and scripted shows is the vocally judgmental people who will kill this girls self esteem before she even has a chance. I don't hear people talking about the way child actors look.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm not really big on reality tv. Honey Boo Boo is just as bad as Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Either way they are selling themselves for money. Legal form of prostitution.

World English Dictionary
    prostitute (ˈprɒstɪˌtjuːt)

— n
    1. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
    2. a man who engages in such activity, esp in homosexual practices
    3. a person who offers his talent or work for unworthy purposes

— vb
    4. to offer (oneself or another) in sexual intercourse for money
    5. to offer (a person, esp oneself, or a person's talent) for unworthy purposes

Please see #3 and #5.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    As long as people watch it, shows like that will remain on the air. I can't even watch the commercials for the show. Just seems like glorified stupid to me.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    I'm not really big on reality tv. Honey Boo Boo is just as bad as Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Either way they are selling themselves for money. Legal form of prostitution.

World English Dictionary
    prostitute (ˈprɒstɪˌtjuːt)

— n
    1. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
    2. a man who engages in such activity, esp in homosexual practices

Completely off-topic, but that "esp" is quite odd. So if you're a man you're more of a prostitute if you sell sex to a man than a woman? I didn't realise prostitution has a grading system.