Before and After pics NO STARVATION

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I "beg" that what I'm about to type doesn't "offend" you. I am in recovery from an eating disorder. Two years ago I was in the icu being intravenously fed.
    People asked me all the time "How did I let myself get so thin?" It goes both ways. After I was medically stabilized they put me on this unit for other people with eating disorders, I wasn't allowed to go home till I gained 22 pounds. Telling an anorexic they are trapped in an enclosed space with strangers till they gain 22 pounds is what panic feels like, knowing you have ****ed up so bad that you are no longer capable of making decisions for yourself...that is panic. Not your "pants feeling tight". The unit also housed people with other easting disorders. One patient in particular comes to mind...She literally would eat until she threw up. Her stomach was damaged from how much food she would eat at a time. Panic is eating an eating and not being able to stop. Also, "fear of gaining weight' alone does not turn into an eating disorder.;

I am so happy for you that you are here learning to eat right and get fit. I have yo-yoed between too slim not anorexic thin but very small for my frame, and too fat. Trying to find a balance and keep it is hard work.

All the best on your journey of healing.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone who has posted here. Thanks for sharing your success.
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    About 40 pound difference. After pic was last Saturday.

60967a67-e59e-48d1-8e40-3be318d53c47.jpg
  • missmuse1
    Options
    I come from a parent who was always overweight and blamed it on having babies. I had a baby and feared getting fat. I am now thinner than i ever was. My fear of weight gain escalated to an eating disorder. I have always wondered how people let themselves get so far overweight. Like if my pants feel tight i panic! Some people just go buy new pants. Why do people let themselves go so far? I beg that nobody be offended by me. Its just an honest question that i have always wanted to ask.

It seems you suffer anxiety when you feel you're getting fat. Other people's anxiety is tied to other things. That's all.
  • Workinonit123
    Workinonit123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not offended. Can only answer for myself. Gained 60 pounds in 3 months while fighting PTSD. Finally lost it. 20 years later gained 60 pounds in 6 years whil unable to exercise cause of phn in my leg and a couple of years of frozen shoulder.
  • suzanneh197
    Options
    bump
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Before 241
    After 157

I've just hit target, it took 18 months ish :)

Xx

5b100996-9f5c-4cc9-9350-81caa1bf9bdf_zpsd22564ce.jpg

064607aa-eb5e-4409-9336-0cd5b550ebeb_zps6c7ba8d6.jpg

Wow!! Very inspiring! (And love the smile!!)
  • areseejay
    areseejay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No starvation here. :) My tastes have definitely changed (for the better!) so what I love to eat now is different than it used to be. But I do not starve.

Before: I was about a size 20/22 and XXL or 1X.
    After: Now I am a size 8ish and a S/M. I even have one dress that is size 6 that FITS me. (NSV!)

Most of the "befores" were taken in the Summer of 2012. Obviously the afters are quite current. :)

weight+loss2.jpg

weight+loss6.jpg

weight+loss5.jpg

weight+loss1.jpg
    [/quote]
  • shell2belle
    shell2belle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Picture004_zps86f9f956.jpg

In 9 months I have lost 85 pounds and dropped 65 inches. That is at 1500 calories a day, but I eat more if I'm hungry (truly hungry) after a big workout. I have been at this for 38 weeks. That is 266 days. I lost at a rate of 2.25 pounds a week and 1.7 inches a week. I ALMOST didn't post this picture after reading the comment of the girl who doesn't understand how someone could "let themselves go." I don't have a response for that. I just have this picture. This picture... my before picture... is a picture of a girl who stepped up and did something about her weight. I am strong! I am brave! I have my life and weight under control, and I'll show it proudly.

And you are awesome!!!! Way to go!!!!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    To the person who asked why we "let ourselves go":

Agreed, not sure why this was here.

I used to weigh 255. I had a husband, I was raising two little (now bigger) kids, a great job, lots of friends and family who loved and accepted me. I felt great about all of these aspects of my life. People often assume the overweight are walking balls of self-loathing trapped in a hell of their own making. I had a good life then, I have a good life now. I wear smaller clothes now, and can do some things better. I am awesome no matter how much I weigh. I didn't let myself go as much as I had other priorities.

The dude who said to another girl on this thread "I will date you if you get to 165" seems to me to exemplify the attitude that people are only worth spending time with if they look a certain way. I like to look good, feel great about myself and am working on my fitness. But I sure as hell do not want to hang out with people who will drop me like a hot potato if I put on 10 pounds. Who does?
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I come from a parent who was always overweight and blamed it on having babies. I had a baby and feared getting fat. I am now thinner than i ever was. My fear of weight gain escalated to an eating disorder. I have always wondered how people let themselves get so far overweight. Like if my pants feel tight i panic! Some people just go buy new pants. Why do people let themselves go so far? I beg that nobody be offended by me. Its just an honest question that i have always wanted to ask.

Dear Dumbass,
    I "beg" that what I'm about to type doesn't "offend" you. I am in recovery from an eating disorder. Two years ago I was in the icu being intravenously fed.
    People asked me all the time "How did I let myself get so thin?" It goes both ways. After I was medically stabilized they put me on this unit for other people with eating disorders, I wasn't allowed to go home till I gained 22 pounds. Telling an anorexic they are trapped in an enclosed space with strangers till they gain 22 pounds is what panic feels like, knowing you have ****ed up so bad that you are no longer capable of making decisions for yourself...that is panic. Not your "pants feeling tight". The unit also housed people with other easting disorders. One patient in particular comes to mind...She literally would eat until she threw up. Her stomach was damaged from how much food she would eat at a time. Panic is eating an eating and not being able to stop. Also, "fear of gaining weight' alone does not turn into an eating disorder.;
    You are a tool. Kiss my *kitten*.
    Love,
    Jamie

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

......and to the people who posted pictures

you all look fabulous and are very inspirational to me!
    Agreed! Great Job everyone! Oh and to the dumbass you should just leave mfp
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

In 9 months I have lost 85 pounds and dropped 65 inches. That is at 1500 calories a day, but I eat more if I'm hungry (truly hungry) after a big workout. I have been at this for 38 weeks. That is 266 days. I lost at a rate of 2.25 pounds a week and 1.7 inches a week. I ALMOST didn't post this picture after reading the comment of the girl who doesn't understand how someone could "let themselves go." I don't have a response for that. I just have this picture. This picture... my before picture... is a picture of a girl who stepped up and did something about her weight. I am strong! I am brave! I have my life and weight under control, and I'll show it proudly.
    Go girl!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I actually don't find this offensive. Maybe it wasn't asked at the right time, but I don't see any innate meanness in this message. I think it is curiosity more than anything - and to be honest I have asked myself the same question many times before.

Answer - not sure LOL No idea. Kind of freaks me out, wondering if whatever held me back for so long will rear it's ugly head again as I continue towards my goal weight...
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options

You look amazing, Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    {I reread his post and he said when he is at 165.....not her}....

.I think one of the reasons people can gain weight is that everywhere you go there are planty of igh fat high salt and high sugar options available...not too many healthy ones.....I used to weigh 213 now I am 161 and a healthy size 6/8.....It is very easy to gain a pould here and a pound there and one day look in the mirror and not recognize yourself.....The cool thing about this site is that people here are making a difference in their lives and getting healthy....Don't let one person being judgemental stop anyone from being PROUD of what they have accomplished....The photos on this thread are a testament to that:) One must really think hard that if they have to prefice a statement with this may offend you...then don't write it:) This site I thought was supposed to be a no judgement zone....Lord knows there are plenty of people out in society who love to judge...MFP is a nice oasis where we can share our struggles and successes:)
  • aharrington84
    aharrington84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Holy cow JohnMatrix-- I just had to stop and stare at your arms for a second. You look awesome!
    Everyone's Before/After pics are great; congrats!! I especially love the quote about the before pic being of a person who is strong and brave
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I think we have situation here of ignorance from the girl that posted this and of people who have a long history of struggling with their weight and may perhaps find this offensive. As someone that really let my self go and have being struggling with my weight all my life, I did not find this offensive at all. Here my best way to put it.

I haven´t been in my ideal weight since I was 9, at best. I was fat all the way through high school. My senior year I lost a lot of weight and went down to 192 lbs. But in my 4 years in college I went all the way to 283 lbs.

Why did I let my self go? Those 4 years were not easy for me. I suffered a lot of depression because of cold environment, the cultural differences, the harder work...ect. Food, especially junk food, seemed to make me feel at ease. It gave me a calming sensation, if only for a little while. I also took up drinking a lot, which always contributes to gaining weight. And, of course, there were the after party munchies like Pizza, burgers, cheese fries...ect.

After college I started losing weight, but then I got stuck. I went up and down and never made any real progress. I would work out, yes. Vigourously. But you can´t out exercise a bad diet. Plus, when ever there are other exams or bar exams, the nerves would get the better of me and, not only eat more, but stop exercising.

I have lost a lot of weight since I started myfitnesspal and later P90X and now the Focus T25. But not overeating is a day to day struggle because I like it so much and makes me feel so good.

I hope that addresses your question.
  • mrdmevans
    mrdmevans Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    aa905d62-73fa-4d0a-8898-845b3678085d_zpsc2cbbf9a.jpg
  • sawshuh
    sawshuh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    People gain weight for a variety of reasons. I've never really overeaten, but I also didn't cook from home or exercise, so my husband and I had takeout. Even with single portions of takeout, you're looking at 750+ calories per meal. I also had an ovarian cyst that went undiscovered (despite all my visits to the doctor and ER) until it was the size of a watermelon (sitting vertically in my torso). I dropped 25 lbs in 4 weeks after surgery. I've since dropped another 7 on my own.

I'm eating about 1700 calories a day baseline and aiming for 2100+ burned. If I go over 2200, I generally eat more to make up for it. I exercise 5-6 days a week now. I snack on veggies and watermelon most of the time, but I also enjoy cheesecake and french fries. I'll get to a clothing size I'm comfortable with eventually, but for now, I'm more focused on a better lifestyle than *I* was living previously.

One size doesn't fit all when it comes to weight loss OR weight GAIN.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    awesome successes everyone!!! cant wait to be here with yall in a year!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!