Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? YES!

Options
You hear it from anyone with a nutrition background, health background, or anyone with some slight common sense, really.

"DRINK MORE WATER!"

But why? Why would anyone want to consume so much water every day?

Because it works. Drinking a gallon of water WILL help you lose weight. It's completely counter intuitive on a basic level. If I want to lose weight, I should consume less of everything. That way the scale will start to go down. Right?

WRONG.

I PROMISE YOU! Drink a gallon of water every single day. This has to be as much of a focus as eating healthy and exercising. There's a reason why everyone and their friggin mother tells you to drink as much water as possible.

But it's really, really, reeeeeally hard.

I did it for a month.

The first day of drinking a gallon of water was the absolute worst. I felt extremely bloated. And full. And I was constantly peeing. I had to chug water until I thought I was going to puke. I tried to work out that day and just felt like all of this liquid was sloshing around inside of me, so I stopped. I woke up in the middle of the night to pee two or three times. It sucked. But let me tell you how shocked I was when I saw I lost 2 pounds the next morning.

How can that be? I didn't change my diet. I didn't work out. I consumed, what felt like, an inhumane amount of liquid. HOW?!

I don't know. But I'm telling you, it will get easier.

As the days went on, the pukey feeling completely stopped when I chugged the water. I just constantly felt comfortably full. I wasn't snacking. I felt alert and very energized. The potty visits were obviously still really frequent, but knowing your body is processing everything quickly ends up feeling like you've accomplished something? I know that sounds weird, but it's true. And the weight will continue to keep dropping off. I started getting so good at killing a 40-something ounce bottle of water in a few minutes. I thought I could get into competitive water drinking! Silly, I know. But ****, I was proud of myself.

So how does one start drinking a gallon of water every day? I mean, we work. We have families. We have errands and what not. We can't just sit around chugging water hidden from society so our *kitten* gets smaller.

Well, here's what I did that worked for me.

When I first started this, I'd buy 4 32 oz bottles of water every day. There's 128 oz in a gallon, so when I chugged all 4 I knew I hit my goal for the day. Any other water I drank was just bonus. Now, obviously that's extremely wasteful (I recycled!) and not to mention expensive. So I started buying 1 water bottle every day and refilling it 3 more times. Well, between going to the water cooler to refill my bottle and my bathroom breaks, it was a pretty big distraction at work. Then I decided to buy this gallon jug that had an easy to hold handle on it, as well as a big straw too. I took that with me every where. It worked perfectly. Became quite a conversational piece as well as an inspiration to some others to try it out as well.

When it comes to actually drinking the water, the straw was key. Just makes it easier. And I don't sip on the water throughout the day. Any time I pick up my jug, I made sure to take at least 4 or 5 big gulps. Like I said earlier, it has to be a huge focus and it just ends up feeling like you're working out when you're gulping/chugging like that. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but it's just my thought process.

It'll get harder before it gets easier, so stick with it. I've actually stopped because it was pretty difficult to focus on drinking that much water every day. However, I plan on picking it back up again because I miss how I felt and I'd like to start tipping the scales backward again.

I've heard this method has worked out for many people. It's not a diet pill or starvation plan. Just imbibe and watch how it changes you for the better! Good luck! :]

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    ...ok
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting my water and lately I've slacked off - my weight loss has slowed too. Oops! Your post inspired me to go fill up my bottle and chug half of it. :P
  • shantronathon
    shantronathon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Get it, girl!
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I agree.

Drinking water is super important.

The first 3 or 4 days were hard for me but now (over a month in) I can drink water like crazy.
  • shantronathon
    Options
    I agree.

Drinking water is super important.

The first 3 or 4 days were hard for me but now (over a month in) I can drink water like crazy.

Haha, right? You feel like an Olympian water drinker. Good for you, man.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I fill up a water pitcher and drink it through the day ( which is about a gallon ) And I feel 10 x better. Especially when im working out :)
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't make this connection sooner! Thank you! I am typically pretty good at getting my water in, but I've been working from home and have majorly slacked off, and so have my losses, even though all else is the same. I will try to focus on this more and cross my fingers that it works!!
  • shantronathon
    Options
    Fact: OP joined MFP July 2010
    Fact: As of this post, OP has exactly 11 post on MFP
    Fact: OP has ZERO lbs lost in her ticker
    Fact: OP is trying to give advice that will help you "Lose More Weight" and yet has none logged in ticker for the last 3 years.
    Fact: OP believes one word responses, such as "ok" is offensive and not supportive.

Yup....seems legit.

Yes, water is important. Thanks for the newsflash.

Aw, shucks. You're sweet.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ...ok

Hey, just so you know! Message boards and forums are on MFP for motivation and support. Support being the operative word. If you're going to be annoying/not contribute anything positive you should go hang out in any of the YouTube comments sections with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens. Thanks for playing, though! :]

Exactly...and you're response to "ok" was SO supportive and mature!! You are an example for all those rude people!! How dare someone just come in and say "ok" !!! As if!!

Oh, good grief. Calm down.

You're supposed to add pictures n stuff...Like this:

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Fact: OP has ZERO lbs lost in her ticker
    Fact: OP is trying to give advice that will help you "Lose More Weight" and yet has none logged in ticker for the last 3 years.
    Fact: OP believes one word responses, such as "ok" is offensive and not supportive.

Yup....seems legit.

Yes, water is important. Thanks for the newsflash.

Aw, shucks. You're sweet.

:flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Drinking water makes me SO HAPPY I JUST CAN'T CONTAIN IT!!!!!!
  • shantronathon
    Options
    I fill up a water pitcher and drink it through the day ( which is about a gallon ) And I feel 10 x better. Especially when im working out :)

Completely agree! That's awesome :]

How long have you been doing it for?
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Now I feel like a Suspicious Person for choosing today of all days to reply to a thread on MFP. :P