'you're fat therefore you were eating too much food'... NO

Options

Replies

• FitterStrongerHappier
    Options
    stop making excuses for other people. pretty much everyone who is fat ate too much, didn't move enough. end of story.

Who said anything about making excuses? It's a pretty basic fact that a calorie imbalance is what will lead to excess fat, or lack thereof. No excuses here - just pointing out that 'too much food' if that food is veggies, isn't going to make you fat. Yet a normal size cheeseburger, fries, and shake, when eaten regularly, WILL make you fat (if it's along with other meals in the same day of the same calorie content). Too much 'food', i.e., 'volume/amount', does not make one fat by default. Nothing about excuses, just about people slamming other people for being gluttons, when it doesn't take gluttony to gain weight. You could be a glutton with veggies, and not gain an ounce - replace that with milkshakes, and WHAM!

If you were to eat an excess of calories of all vegetables you'd still gain weight. It's just not likely to actually do that so it's not often discussed.

You could pull this off by drying the veggies maybe.

*sigh* true - but really? we're stretching a bit aren't we? The odds of someone gaining weight from eating too many low cal foods are just, so low that it doesn't seem worth mentioning. but yes, you are right. :indifferent:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses for other people. pretty much everyone who is fat ate too much, didn't move enough. end of story.

Who said anything about making excuses? It's a pretty basic fact that a calorie imbalance is what will lead to excess fat, or lack thereof. No excuses here - just pointing out that 'too much food' if that food is veggies, isn't going to make you fat. Yet a normal size cheeseburger, fries, and shake, when eaten regularly, WILL make you fat (if it's along with other meals in the same day of the same calorie content). Too much 'food', i.e., 'volume/amount', does not make one fat by default. Nothing about excuses, just about people slamming other people for being gluttons, when it doesn't take gluttony to gain weight. You could be a glutton with veggies, and not gain an ounce - replace that with milkshakes, and WHAM!

If you were to eat an excess of calories of all vegetables you'd still gain weight. It's just not likely to actually do that so it's not often discussed.

You could pull this off by drying the veggies maybe.

*sigh* true - but really? we're stretching a bit aren't we? The odds of someone gaining weight from eating too many low cal foods are just, so low that it doesn't seem worth mentioning. but yes, you are right. :indifferent:

Considering the original post, I don't think it's appropriate to whine about my stretching.

Nobody actually says what the OP claims they say. It's a completely illogical post about someone having a lightbulb moment over something most of us realized without incident.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I always thought I didnt eat that much until i started to log. Then, daaaaaaammmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    What did I say in my post that makes you think I was bingeing

This

many days I would eat considerably less (sometimes forgetting to eat)

So you automatically extrapolate that I was bingeing the rest of the time.

I explained more than I "owed" you in my last reply, especially considering that you apparently didn't bother to read it and/or refuse to respond to what I actually say, just what you believe you know.

We're done here.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    OK, I THINK WHAT SHE MEANS IS...

i can eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos, and that comes out to about 1800 calories... thats basically my maintenance. anything over without exercise, ill gain, so, it i eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a 6 pack of beer (my usual saturday "back then") i would be at a surplus...

this, vs...

1500 calories of lean meats, veggies, fruits, etc, which actually comes out to a hell of alot of food for the low amount of calories...

so, i think what she is saying, is, many people got fat off of too many calories, (even tho the amount of food may have not been much, ie: bag of flaming hot cheetos vs. same size bag of no butter popcorn) and now, when attempting to eat healthy, they are able to get full at lower calories since the food they are eating is more in quantity and less in calories...

i dont know if i make sense, but i get the "gist" of what she is saying...
  • pcastagner
    Options

This

I explained more than I "owed" you in my last reply, especially considering that you apparently didn't bother to read it and/or refuse to respond to what I actually say, just what you believe you know.

We're done here.

I noticed a typical pattern and pointed it out. Idk, something about seeing the same pattern, repeated over and over again, gives me the power to predict the whole thing by only seeing one part of it. I can do other tricks, like identifying individuals even when their faces are partially covered.

Maybe you're a special snowflake. That very special snowflake that doesn't fit the pattern, yet still gets all huffy if someone suggests that she does.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    67155-Nicolas-Cage-laughing-gif-Face-sBwT.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This

We're done here.

I completely agree with him. As you described it, it sounds exactly like someone who goes from binging to starving. Even if not, what you described cannot in any universe be considered a healthy relationship with food. Which is presumably why you ended up on MFP in the first place.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options

This

We're done here.

I noticed a typical pattern and pointed it out. Idk, something about seeing the same pattern, repeated over and over again, gives me the power to predict the whole thing by only seeing one part of it. I can do other tricks, like identifying individuals even when their faces are partially covered.

Maybe you're a special snowflake.

You fit a pretty predictable pattern around here too. And it looks a little bit like a snowflake... a pink one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This

We're done here.

You fit a pretty predictable pattern around here too. And it looks a little bit like a snowflake... a pink one.

Your rather extreme reaction to his post pretty much gives it away, btw.
  • pcastagner
    Options

This

We're done here.

I am actually pink in a lot of places. Especially on the inside. Aren't you?

I fit lots of patterns. Everyone does. That's one reason we can function as a society.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I drank more calories than I ate.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    whats red and smells like blue paint?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I drank more calories than I ate.

In that case you were scientifically fat, but morally quite svelte.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of seeing this 'logic' splashed over the boards. I ate less when I was big than I do now. I just ate different, more calorific food. When people say they are struggling to get to calories it's sometimes because they are genuine about doing this and they have restricted themselves to lean meat, veges, and not much else, all really low fat and low cal, because that is what they heard for years and they don't know that there is another, more effective way.

People being sanctimonious and throwing about the 'you must know how to eat because you're fat' line is ridiculous. Everyones scenario is a little bit different and while the same solution (in variations) will work for everyone, NOT everyone is fat because they ate too much bulk of food, their balance was simply off. Or, like me, they had an accident and that, coupled with a thyroid problem and (at the time) ignorance of BMR led me to put on weight.

end rant :p

I think you addressed your issue in this post. Although people say 'eat less food' what they mean is 'eat fewer calories than your body requires'. Whether that means cutting your portion size or simply switching to less calorie dense foods. Most peoples weight problems are because they are consuming more than their body requires, and very rarely anything else physical. However, there are a range of emotional issues that lead people to overeat, or it could simply be a lack of education.

Just chill.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    whats red and smells like blue paint?

hey now there will be no huffing in this thread
  • oliviaboston
    oliviaboston Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    whuttt
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    OP has a point. When people think of fat people, they imagine them sitting around all day shoving their face constantly, when really, one large fast food meal for lunch and then dinner alone is enough to make someone fat when it's high calorie junk. It doesn't mean they shove their face all day, it means that a couple horrible choices through-out the day easily adds up.

Thus, replacing high calorie meals with more nutritious, lower calories foods means you will need to eat more and more frequently, simply because 1,500 calories of Burger King and 1,500 of fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc... look very different.

But still, calories in vs. calories out is what matters at the end of the day!
  • echelonokie
    Options
    To the OP, I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN! I could go out with friends and we could order the exact same thing and I would eat less of what was on my plate than they did, but I'm still larger than they are. I can honestly say that I dieted my way to this weight - high carb, low fat; low carb, low fat, all veggie; high protein, NO carb - I really do believe I starved myself to the point I am now.
  • echelonokie
    Options
    @sammi674 exactly. People think because I'm big that I sit and snack on cookies and sweets and all that. They don't believe me when I tell them that I don't do that, that I rarely EVER have a pop, or sit down with a bag of chips.

I grew up in an age where my mom made a full meal every night and EVERYTHING was fried.