Anyone else not telling???

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My husband knows and is supportive, but I've turned off x-posting to Facebook and Twitter whenever I show a loss. I'm only posting my workouts.

I live far from family, and to be honest I'm kind of looking forward to visiting next spring and amazing everyone ;).
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    i usually did keep it a secret and i still failed every time.
    this time i told everyone, and it did keep me motivated. till i told them "i lost 10lbs in 2 months" and they said "thats it?"

we're drilled into us that weight loss takes little time from diet commercials and such. so thats when i stopped telling people again.

10 lbs in 2 months is awesome! difference between those diets and what youre doing now? youre gonna keep that weight off while those diet nuts start gaining again having a peanut.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My partner knows, how can you hide weighing stuff out and that... Or does he must not care cause he so over the...another diet syndrome ......

I hit my partner up about why he let me get so fat... He just said I thought you had it...you have done it before...and then he says oh well I was going to say something soon..rotfl.......

MEN!!!!!!!!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    my husband really likes my bigger frame -_-" so while he sees i work out he buys pizza or m&ms and trys to tell me I need to eat . Sigh lol , so no i havent told him
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i usually did keep it a secret and i still failed every time.
    this time i told everyone, and it did keep me motivated. till i told them "i lost 10lbs in 2 months" and they said "thats it?"

we're drilled into us that weight loss takes little time from diet commercials and such. so thats when i stopped telling people again.

10 lbs in 2 months is awesome! difference between those diets and what youre doing now? youre gonna keep that weight off while those diet nuts start gaining again having a peanut.
    agreed. i knew how great i did. i didn't think of a reason as to why i needed my friends validation on me doing good. after 20 lbs, i showed up and they were like "you look great!" and that's all i needed from them! lol gimme compliments thx
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My husband, mother-in-law, and a few close friends but that is it....I am not telling everyone else!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do better when I don't really tell people but let them figure it out from me not ordering chinese take away or I mention how Shaun T kicked my bum. But I'm glad I haven't told anyone really so that when I do eat a candy bar or something I don't have people in my face about how I'm "supposed to be on a diet" or offering me tempting foods just to be sabotaging or telling me how I can't do it and whatnot. I like being able to do my own thing without too much outside commenting.

The only one who I ever really talk to about it is my partner and he's really great about it usually. We see fat and carbs differently but he's supportive and encouraging and is honest with me about my weight. He does sometimes say things that make me wanna bonk him on the head but I hear men tend to do that.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I told hubster and BFF (told her when she had bbq last weekend to be sure I could eat without declaring a "treat" day since I had just had a buffet bust a couple nights before. Nobody at work knows - NOBODY. They've all been doing "plexus" and another sort of strongly opinionated one has lost 70 pounds (this year - no not plexus - but she did use it for a plateau breaker). I don't want to be compared. I don't want that moment when you reveal it and everyone immediately starts telling you what you "need to do" or how suzie B down the hall lost a sumo's wrestler's weight eating exotic African rabbit pellets processed with special herbs in a proprietary blend. Many of my coworkers are "healthy" living people - so me picking healthier isn't obvious - but say it and OH MAN, the advice will pour.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think that if we do not share our intentions with others, then we tend to give up more easily. Sharing our intentions gives us accountability.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do better when I don't really tell people but let them figure it out from me not ordering chinese take away or I mention how Shaun T kicked my bum. But I'm glad I haven't told anyone really so that when I do eat a candy bar or something I don't have people in my face about how I'm "supposed to be on a diet" or offering me tempting foods just to be sabotaging or telling me how I can't do it and whatnot. I like being able to do my own thing without too much outside commenting.

The only one who I ever really talk to about it is my partner and he's really great about it usually. We see fat and carbs differently but he's supportive and encouraging and is honest with me about my weight. He does sometimes say things that make me wanna bonk him on the head but I hear men tend to do that.

YES - I hate diet nazi's! The minute they know - they will critique everything you eat. Or give you the disappointed look - hate 'em. Yes, I'm chunky and yes I chose to eat the ice cream. Don't ask what I sacrificed earlier to have it. Go eat your value mega super meal and leave me be!
  • JasminBillings2922
    Options
    The oly people who know are the ones that live with me and my two other sisters.I'm definitely not putting anything about it on Facebook. When I look how I want to, I'm going to update my profile pic and it'll be like BAM! Lol. :)
  • invisibility
    Options
    I don't want that moment when you reveal it and everyone immediately starts telling you what you "need to do" or how suzie B down the hall lost a sumo's wrestler's weight eating exotic African rabbit pellets processed with special herbs in a proprietary blend. Many of my coworkers are "healthy" living people - so me picking healthier isn't obvious - but say it and OH MAN, the advice will pour.

Exactly! That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut.

I did tell my husband I would be making healthier meals, weighing all my food, and trying not to keep junk food in the house. He's been very supportive.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't tell many people that I know. No one in my family or at work knows. I talk about it with one friend, because she's been losing weight (and so successfully) for a few years now, and it's nice to have someone to talk to.
    I rarely discuss it with my OH, but he sees me weighing food and on my exercise bike, so it's not much of a secret.
  • YorkiepuddingBird
    Options
    Only my partner knows... I don't want Big Brother watching my every move so haven't told friends.. I'm enjoying doing what i'm doing and watching the pounds come off...
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're keeping the secret for the only reason of waiting for kudos you're going to have to wait a long time and you will be disappointed. The person who lives with you daily will be the last person to notice.

I hope you don't get too disappointed and please don't make him look like an *kitten* when someone you haven't seen in a while notices in front of him...
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    my husband really likes my bigger frame -_-" so while he sees i work out he buys pizza or m&ms and trys to tell me I need to eat . Sigh lol , so no i havent told him

How the heck has he not noticed that you are down 100 pounds according to your ticker?? For me, I didnt tell anyone in the beginning, simply because like so many of you, I had tried and failed too many times to count.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nope not telling anyone, whenever I do if I fail or binge they'll always bring it up saying things like "she never sticks to anything", "how's the working out going" or "it's just a health phase" so this time I'm going it alone with the support of you amazing people, but I'm also doing it because I really do want to shock everyone, so when I meet up with my friends (away at different Universities) it will be a huge surprise, I'm going to prove everyone wrong when they said I couldn't do it or wouldn't stick to it, Bring it on! :bigsmile:
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As for me, I don't feel comfortable telling people. It is admitting that I put on weight, wasn't in control etc before. By mentioning that I want to lose weight, I am embarrassed that I put the weight on in the first place.
    My husband is my partner, he knows. Other people I only tell when I have to (that is, I don't lie when asked), but I don't raise the topic.
  • wannabeadancer27
    Options
    I hate to sound like a jerk, but my weight and weight loss goals are nobody's business. I joined this community to be with like minded people so we can give and get the support that often doesn't exist in the real world. I have a lot of thin friends who eat like garbage cans and are somehow healthier than me. I don't want people giving me the phony "oh you don't need to lose weight" or even worse "one cookie won't hurt you."
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't look at MFP as a diet. I look at it as a lifestyle change. My husband knows I log my food, and exercise, and because of MFP we have started eating right as a family. For me, it's important to have that support in life, and I think when my whole family does it (hubby + 3 kids) it makes it easier to stick with.