Replies

• Metamorphoo
    Metamorphoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Job! You look great! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I come from a parent who was always overweight and blamed it on having babies. I had a baby and feared getting fat. I am now thinner than i ever was. My fear of weight gain escalated to an eating disorder. I have always wondered how people let themselves get so far overweight. Like if my pants feel tight i panic! Some people just go buy new pants. Why do people let themselves go so far? I beg that nobody be offended by me. Its just an honest question that i have always wanted to ask.

Really! Sorry you have a eating disorder. Don't you think being over weight is also an eating disorder? Or would you rather hear that we are just lazy and we don't care what we put in your mouths. ~offended

Yeah, equally offended. I was in a serious accident 7 years ago and over the years, due to my lack of ability to exercise and depression about becoming physically disabled, I put on a lot of weight. I didn't keep buying new pants willingly. I was in pain and food, as it has always been, was a comfort for me. Prior to the accident I was a trim and fit 120 pounds and pretty much only muscle. I spent most of my time backpacking with friends, swimming competitively, rowing competitively, and kayaking for more than 20 miles a day when time allowed. You should really think long and hard about your stereotype of people who are overweight. It's not always a life choice.

Also offended. Moved from my home town, and because I didn't have a car, I lost tons of weight. But then a lot of bad things happened, and I turned to food. When I gained alot of weight, I began starving myself. I had such a negative body image of myself, but I would never even think about insulting other people, even inadvertently, because I know what it does to people. All the beautiful people on here who have stepped up to a healthier life (not necessarily a totally skinny one) have worked their arses off. Please think next time.

I came in as a moderator, and chose not to remove the 1st post as people have answered with such great responses that it went beyond what I can do with removal of the post.

I would ask that we get back to the OP and subsequent SUCCESS posts and say:

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!

AWTY
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Starting weight 297 pounds
    Current weight 213 pounds
    45 weeks
    46 yrs old
    Still a work in progress, but im in no hurry
    Not as impressive as alot of these inspirational people, and my congratulations to each and every one of you, but im happy with my progress :happy:

2n0dcg.jpg

Not as impressive? HAH!! VERY impressive! You look 10 years younger, and so healthy. Your success is every bit as impressive as any I have seen.
    Keep up the great work!!:flowerforyou:
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To the offensive post:
    We "let how would you feel if you were asked how you let yourself develop an eating disorder? Mine came from *kitten* who made me feel less because I weighed 10lbs more than they liked. Then it came back when I didn't feel "perfect" enough. Ive always wondered how a person can make their disorder last longer than the 3 months mine did.

*I don't wonder any of this*
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    And my tablet cut my post in half
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump!

Can't wait to see my own before and afters! This thread was exactly what I needed today!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I come from a parent who was always overweight and blamed it on having babies. I had a baby and feared getting fat. I am now thinner than i ever was. My fear of weight gain escalated to an eating disorder. I have always wondered how people let themselves get so far overweight. Like if my pants feel tight i panic! Some people just go buy new pants. Why do people let themselves go so far? I beg that nobody be offended by me. Its just an honest question that i have always wanted to ask.

Food addiction is also an eating disorder--it's just that many people don't see it that way, preferring to think that the person is merely "undisciplined". It has its start in malnutrition (and I think all eating disorders have that in common).

I ate a lot of junk food when I was a child--BUT, I was also well nourished. I came from an area of family farms and we always ate, year round, from our own vegetables and fruits. The farm down the road brought fresh organic eggs (there weren't any other kind, in those days), raw organic dairy and naturally raised meats, in addition to a fair bit of wild game. If we hadn't eaten a lot of sugary treats, I suspect that I wouldn't have developed a weight problem at all. As it was, we were pretty active and athletic but I put on a bit of chubbiness in high school, after I quit growing. Even then, I was only about 30 pounds overweight. In college, I slimmed down through cutting out the junk food. I was trim and athletic. Then, after graduation, I moved to the city, got a sedentary job and put on about fifteen pounds. I was living in a neighborhood that was close to the inner city and there were many fewer opportunities for athletics. And I was lonely so I returned to eating a bit of junk food as a comfort. I then decided that I had become "fat" and went on a severe calorie-restriction and low carbohydrate diet. I stopped eating vegetables and fruits (because they had carbohydrates, after all). It was the kookiest 500 calorie diet. Oh, I lost "weight" all right--my once firm flesh had become flabby and sallow and I while I thought that my bony face was wonderful, one of my friends told me that the way I was beginning to look made her think of WWII pictures of concentration camp survivors. And that is when my weight problems and yo-yoing began in earnest. I met my husband and I went on another severe diet so I would look good in the wedding pix. I went on the birth control pill and that was a real problem--couldn't seem to stop the weight gain and was depressed as well. And my weight problems and my up and down eating got worse. I would lose 20 and gain back 30. My husband begged me to "eat right and exercise" but I thought I knew better how to deal with my problems.

I didn't understand that I was doing real damage to my body. And I was feeling lousy and getting sicker. It wasn't until I started to really study nutrition and discover what I was doing to myself that I started to eat much better. The weight gain went to a trickle but the health problems had started to accumulate by that time: gall bladder attacks and surgery, arthritis (which made me much less active) and then high blood pressure and then high blood sugar. When my doc wanted to add yet another blood pressure drug to the two I was already taking (and feeling extremely crummy from), I had had enough and decided that I was finally going to take off all the weight and do it healthfully this time. I still have about 30 pounds to go, but I am feeling very well. No more E.D. for me (and I guess I was anorexic for a time).

ETA: P.S. I now have normal blood pressure without medication and I have no more problems with high blood sugar. My arthritis is greatly improved through good nutrition, supplements and pool exercise.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    arewethereyet...Thank you so much for your kind words :flowerforyou:
  • cheyenneb
    cheyenneb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AMAZING THREAD!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Zumba and Strength Workouts <3 and I dont starve!

2rpg1v4.jpg
    11h6ip3.jpg

I have never seen such a dramatic hourglass body shape before! Oh my gosh! So amazing! :smile:
  • krystle1001
    Options
    Your awesome! That is the best repose to the comment i've seen yet. And you are exactly right, this is about making positive changes, not being nasty and obviously passing judgement in a very offensive way!
    And you look fantastic by the way, you've done an amazing job!
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    as well you should be! You look wonderful :happy:
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    i have eaten 1800 calories for most of my journey. I started at 380 pounds and still have 40-50 pounds to go....my current photo was taken about 3 weeks ago....my thighs are horrible as I have a lot of excess skin and dont normally let anyone see them but this is my most recent pic...so before pic is at 380 pounds and current photo at 200 pounds :)

Before pic:

1704image2.png

Current pic:

12050_10151790528976062_1932886738_n1_zps4de30f63.jpg

You are looking FABULOUS!
  • piritaoro
    piritaoro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well done! You have nothing to be ashamed of. Keep on being proud! You are doing awesome!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Kaz u r amazing
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump...for inspiration
  • jenrobiwan
    jenrobiwan Posts: 18 Member
    Options

For me I always was told I needed to finish everything on my plate regardless because of the starving children in *insert country here* and also we didn't have a lot of money so there was going to be no wasted food. Just as you have a negative relationship with food, so do I. We just go in opposite directions. I have honestly never understood how people could starve themselves but I always loved food. Now I'm working on gaining a healthy relationship with food and learning that it is there to fuel my body not feed my indulgences.

My parents-in-law are like this and I am not. I can usually tell the difference when my kids aren't clearing their place because they're full or because they just don't feel like eating whatever it is I cooked. I never make them clear their whole plate. If they ate most of it, I am happy with that. If they only took a few bites of their pork chop because they don't feel like eating the pork chop, then I tell them to eat x amount of pieces.

I have had a weight problem MY WHOLE LIFE. I am finally in a place mentally where I feel I can truly conquer it. When I had children, I decided that I would encourage healthy eating from the get go. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, natural peanut butter, jelly made with only the necessities and not with all the extras. Sure, they are not perfect eaters, and they do get junk food occasionally, but certainly not all the time. And healthy eating is stressed strongly, as well as not having to clear their entire plate.
  • 0Caligirl0
    0Caligirl0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What inspirations you all are!!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I got fat cuz I stopped caring / was lazy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!