Feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories

Options
Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Honestly, eat more. 1200 is too low for an adult human.

You will still lose weight.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No not at all because if u under eat your metabolism slows down so every time I get to 1200 or more I am happy I am speeding it up I do not want it slowing down ever :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.

It sounds like it may be a good time to re-evaluate your relationship with food if you feel guilty at 1200 calories a day. A calorie deficit=weight loss, not starving everyday.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I ate 1200 calories per day I'd feel awful because it's so few calories.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Seriously?! I don't know your stats in comparison to mine, but mooooore than likely 1200 is too low for you, and you need to re-evaluate your relationship with food and your attitude/approach to losing weight. I eat 1800 calories every dang day, and I feel guilty if I have more than 100 calories left over!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2000 calories or so ... no shame.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    It is your GOAL that means you should want to ACHIEVE it!
  • 3rdChance
    Options
    I find it very difficult to eat 1200 calories, actually. I often have to throw in a beer or ice cream to do it. I actually lowered my allotment to 1,000 so I wouldn't have to fill up on empty calories, but then my body held on to everything.

So, adding more protein and seeing if that makes it easier. Best way to say it, I'm not that into food and if one vitamin could sustain me for a day, I'd do it.
  • tinlady529
    tinlady529 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying. It's hard changing that mindset and understanding that eating food is not what is causing weight gain.
    I used to eat between 500-700 calories a day. I would go hungry all day long drinking coffee just to function then over eat at dinner.
    I was 190 lbs. I am just now learning to exercise daily, drink lots of water, sleep right, and eat through out the day. I struggle to get up to 1200, but I am proud that I am consistently hitting over 1000. Just like you, I am still a work in progress. My goal is to get to a point where I can learn to eat 1500 healthy calories a day.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't feel guilty. i don't know your stats but more most people in a coma need 1200 cals... i work a desk top but exercise 5-6 times weekly doing a mis of cardio/heavy lifting & i've lost weight/gained muscle eating 2000 cals a day. i'd take a hard look at yourself and really evaluate your caloric needs and your relationship with food. food is fuel, and weight loss should be a marathon not a sprint
  • acullen31
    acullen31 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)
  • acullen31
    acullen31 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also, to add.. you shouldnt feel guilty, food serves at nutrients to your body. When you start looking at it that way, maybe that will help. =)
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options

I do think you should feel guilty.. because, that is NOT nearly enough calories to eat in a day!! That wouldn't even be enough if you were 4ft 5inches tall weighing 110 lbs! If you eat so few calories your body will think it's starving and do the opposite of what you want. YES, you will lose weight, but it will not be the weight you want to lose. Instead of losing fat, your body will store fat and eat up your muscle. Figure out your BMR: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator You need to AT LEAST eat BMR, nothing less. TDEE - 15% (or 20%) would be ideal. Research on TDEE.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i have mild regret if i eat 1200 calories as a snack. it's overkill between meals.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1340. 1200 would kill me (well not literally). I have calories set to 1300 on MFP. I almost always eat back some or all of my workoit calories.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have dieted my whole life and had the same mindset. Less food = more weightloss. While the concept is true (caloric deficit), you can do more harm than good if you do not consume enough. I have since learned that the 1200 calories MFP sets for 2lbs a weeks is not the best calorie goal for ALL but a small portion of statistical outliers. Take your time, eat HEALTHY foods, get some healthy fats in there (avocado etc.) and you will hit 1200 without eating JUNK and feeling good about yourself.
  • SergeantG
    Options
    Funny you should bring up this topic....I have been feeling like this the past week or so....and the sad thing is, I KNOW that 1200 calories a day is WAAAAYYYYY too low for me...but yet, I cannot help but be obsessive about it and try to stay below that number (I do eat back calories when I excercise, though...but even then, its a mind game and I freak out a little inside)....I think becuase I had such a dramatic weight loss in a short time...and I want to continue on the same path....

Bottom line for me is....I have to re-evaluate how I view my calories and I have to tell myself that eating more calories a day will actually help me in the long run....but its much easier said than done...
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

What a load of crap. Nobody needs to eat more than 1400 calories unless they're bulking? Please tell me the name of this doctor so I know to avoid him.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie meal maybe (but even then I don't think I'd feel THAT guilty if I was remotely close to my cut or TDEE calories) If you're only eating 1200 calories in a day and you're feeling guilty about that I would seek out the help of someone who can evaluate whether your relationship with food is healthy or not.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Um no. You need to eat to function. I would re-evaluate your relationship with food.