Feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Also, Just anyone who is so set that your body goes into starvation mode when eating around 1200 calories I'm 5'3, 126 lbs. My blood work is perfect, my BMI is awesome. I'm active, I work out 6 days a week and I eat 1200-1400 calories a day. Healthy foods. Veggies, Fruits, whole grains. I'm never hungry. I eat small meals through out the day. I drink protein shakes. Please tell me that i'm starving.

Your tdee is around 1400. Mine is around 2100. Our size and possibly age differences (didn't check your age) could be part of that. Or activity. I'm in the gym 4 hours per week, a couple of walks per week, and sedentary otherwise. Some people would attribute the difference in our tdees to starvation mode. By that they'd mean your metabolism is lower than mine because of years of eating less I'd guess. I don't really believe in starvation mode the way many throw it around. But our tdees definitely are different. It works out great for us both apparently because I like to eat the way I do and you like to eat the way you do :flowerforyou:

I'd be curious to read others' thoughts

ETA I'm 5'3.75, 131, 29 years. Was on a ~500/day deficit for about a year and a half
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200.

You really think this is the same for everyone, except the "seriously overweight"? That shows that you really don't understand weight loss or calorie deficits. Do you know that if you really maintain at 1400, you would lose less than half a lb per week (not saying that's a bad thing--my point is that most people would lose more than that on 1200 calories and that they would maintain on much higher than 1400)? My maintenance calories are around 2100. If I wanted to bulk, I'd aim for around 2300 or so. If I want to cut, I aim for between 1600-1900. And I'm a 5'4" female. Many people, especially men but also women, need many more calories.

2100 calories is a lot of calories. Eating clean and healthy, I would have a tremendously hard time eating that many calories. What are you eating? And no, I don't think it's the same for everyone. Of course everyone is different. For me, that's true. I do 60 min of cardio 6 days a week. I'm training for a half marathon I try to eat as healthy and nutritious as possible and me eating 1400 calories is working. Of course some days I may go a little over, but realistically eating healthy food it's hard for me to get a lot of calories. I eat small meals throughout the day.

You literally said that your doctors said that 1200-1400 calories is all anybody needs.

^^yes, the bolded part the problem I have with your original post. Sure, if you are petite and don't exercise, 1200-1400 might work for you. But you said that nobody needs more than 1400 unless they are "trying to gain tons of muscle".
  • acullen31
    acullen31 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes. He recommends 1200-1400 calories to people. Obviously eating all that food hasnt made you guys very nice or friendly. =)
  • acullen31
    Options

You really think this is the same for everyone, except the "seriously overweight"? That shows that you really don't understand weight loss or calorie deficits. Do you know that if you really maintain at 1400, you would lose less than half a lb per week (not saying that's a bad thing--my point is that most people would lose more than that on 1200 calories and that they would maintain on much higher than 1400)? My maintenance calories are around 2100. If I wanted to bulk, I'd aim for around 2300 or so. If I want to cut, I aim for between 1600-1900. And I'm a 5'4" female. Many people, especially men but also women, need many more calories.

2100 calories is a lot of calories. Eating clean and healthy, I would have a tremendously hard time eating that many calories. What are you eating? And no, I don't think it's the same for everyone. Of course everyone is different. For me, that's true. I do 60 min of cardio 6 days a week. I'm training for a half marathon I try to eat as healthy and nutritious as possible and me eating 1400 calories is working. Of course some days I may go a little over, but realistically eating healthy food it's hard for me to get a lot of calories. I eat small meals throughout the day.

You literally said that your doctors said that 1200-1400 calories is all anybody needs.

^^yes, the bolded part the problem I have with your original post. Sure, if you are petite and don't exercise, 1200-1400 might work for you. But you said that nobody needs more than 1400 unless they are "trying to gain tons of muscle".

No, your body doesnt need thousands of calories a day. Body builders eat that.
  • acullen31
    Options

So i eat 1,543 calories at least a day! I am 5 foot 6 and 114 lbs.... hmmm so i got this skinny by bulking?

That's a tremendous amount of food for breakfast. I would have to shove that much down my throat, but if it's working for you Great! =)

Can i please have permission to hit her?

43359607.png

really? lol
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting at 1800 calories it sucks.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in this post - please read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068917-my-1200-calorie-story

QFT

OP, please see the link above. It is a wonderful and helpful post. :flowerforyou:
  • cleotherio
    Options

How do you know I'm not a body builder?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • acullen31
    Options
    with all of this said, MFP is supposed to be about support, motivation. Everyone obviously is doing a great job with the weight loss. I don't understand the general lack of kindness some people show. It's not necessary. No one is a expert.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Uhm, just no.
  • acullen31
    Options

I see your pictures.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    with all of this said, MFP is supposed to be about support, motivation. Everyone obviously is doing a great job with the weight loss. I don't understand the general lack of kindness some people show. It's not necessary. No one is a expert.

The problem people have here is GENERALIZATIONS. A generalization was made that nobody should need to eat more than X calories.

That is dead wrong, very stupid and annoying. I don't care if a doctor said it. He's wrong, or you misunderstood.
  • cleotherio
    Options

I see your pictures.

Now you're just having fun. I have one picture on my profile. Try again. :flowerforyou:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.

...in one meal?
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel like pasing out at 1,200. I get serious brain fog, can't think.

So I'm at just under 1,400 and that extra 200 cals seems to make all the difference.

But I understand the guilt. I just had to get to the point where if it fit in my macros, I allowed myself to eat it.

Pre-log everything. I had a slice of cake on my brother's birthday last week, and because I knew I was set on having one, I mapped the rest of my day around it, and my weight loss continues!

Make sur eyour'e eating at least 1200, but should more appropriately be eating the goat MFP give syou or your TDEE.
  • acullen31
    Options

The problem people have here is GENERALIZATIONS. A generalization was made that nobody should need to eat more than X calories.

That is dead wrong, very stupid and annoying. I don't care if a doctor said it. He's wrong, or you misunderstood.

Well good luck eating thousands of calories.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

MFP is not only for support and motivation. If there is incorrect information being posted, people will correct it. (and being direct and to the point does not equal lack of kindness)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I am not a body builder, I've lost 44 lbs. I'm 5'5". I eat 1600+ a day. 1600+!!! That's more than your 1400. I'm not trying to be a body builder either, and guess what. I'M STILL LOSING WEIGHT! Oh mah gawd...I must be a freak of nature! Nope. Just doing what one should be doing to lose weight.

I also work for doctors. Smart ones. That want to actually help people, not prohibit them. Yes, 1200-1400 might work for awhile, but if they are exercising heavily it will...stop.
  • i_am_melting
    Options

What a load of crap. Nobody needs to eat more than 1400 calories unless they're bulking? Please tell me the name of this doctor so I know to avoid him.

Really?
    My calories are more than 1400 (because they are based on my height, weight, and activity level). I have lost close 20 pounds.
    "Nobody" is such a broad term.