A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I feel like there are deeper issues here than just this argument.

And it sounds like he's watched one too many shows like The Biggest Loser or I Used to be Fat where they push extremely obese people that have a lot of weight to lose beyond their limits with extreme amounts of exercise and dieting with the supervision of a personal trainer and doctors.

I don't really know where to go on how to talk to him since it sounds like he's got a set idea and it also sounds like you have hit a point of being overly angry based on what you are calling him in the subject line. So maybe it's ultimately best to just step away from the conversation until you've had some time to cool down and maybe find a few scientifically backed articles on weight loss to try to help your point when you revisit the conversation.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    he's very wrong. You could do it, but you'd starve, literally. You'd have to lose almost a pound a day, and while you may do just that during the first week or so, it slows after that...unless you're anorexic or whatnot.
    Mine also tells me i should go hard at the time, but his expectations are that i'll lose what i lose.
    And if he's thin, then no, he cant relate. Mine is a rail, but he can go long periods without eating, and doesnt understand my appetite (i can eat 300lbers under the table) at all.
  • sinthia619
    Options
    It is possible if you do something like Optifast or Medifast which is a liquid fast on a daily basis.
  • Piratefifi
    Options
    RL is only rarely reflected shows like Biggest Loser. Keep in mind that BL will show dramatic weight loss, but generally the women are rarely over the 100lbs. lost mark at the finally. The show can be a good way to see that 6 months of working out 3-6 hours/6 days a week, with a restricted diet, and a medical team to monitor all hormonal changes in your body, can do. It really is a "in a perfect world" situation. Take it slow, learn how to make solid, life long, changes with your diet. SEE YOUR DOCTOR, get a full blood panel done. Get active, it is contagious, and will get easier and easier. Sometimes HUGE goals become overwhelming and will set you up for failure.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

And it sounds like he's watched one too many shows like The Biggest Loser or I Used to be Fat where they push extremely obese people that have a lot of weight to lose beyond their limits with extreme amounts of exercise and dieting with the supervision of a personal trainer and doctors.

I don't really know where to go on how to talk to him since it sounds like he's got a set idea and it also sounds like you have hit a point of being overly angry based on what you are calling him in the subject line. So maybe it's ultimately best to just step away from the conversation until you've had some time to cool down and maybe find a few scientifically backed articles on weight loss to try to help your point when you revisit the conversation.

this
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This guy apparently done it, but who knows if theres more to the story. Doesnt sound healthy or safe either way!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2212993/I-lost-100lbs-months-How-man-dropped-body-weight-cutting-white-food.html
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Run, fast and real hard away from that douche bag. That'll give you a good head start on the weight loss. Of course someone can lose 100 lbs in 4 months. They do it all the time on Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss, but life is not a reality show, and I'm guessing you don't have Chris Powell's fine sexy self in front of you working out along side of you to motivate you to work out 27 hours a day. Do you? If you do, I'm booking a flight right now. Anyway....your dude's a douche if he's pushing you. If he's not pushing you, he's just a dumb *kitten*. Be healthy. Be happy with yourself. That is the most important thing I've learned as I've lost 74 lbs. Happiness comes from within. Don't worry about changing your body or anything else to please another person because if you don't please yourself first, they'll never be happy and neither will you. Best of luck.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    No. Definitley not. I had a lot to lose in the beginning and lost 10 lbs a month those first 5 months or so and that was doing everything i could. No way you could lose 100 in 4 months and still be healthy.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend told me last night that I should be eating 700 calories a day... I gave him the middle finger. He does not want me hangry!
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's possible to an extent and its very unhealthy too. Most people that lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time, gain it all back rather quickly. It reminds of that show on MTV called I used to be fat. Not sure if that's the actual Title of it but majority of people on there lose 50-100 pounds in a 3 month period but always gain it back after their trainer leaves.
    Besides, this is long term. There's no rush, just patience and consistency. :)
    Wish you good luck on your journey!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?
    That there seems to be a lot more to this story...but whatever. :ohwell:

Trying to lose that much in that amount of time is ridiculous and there are healthier approaches. If you want to get healthier, do it for yourself and not your boyfriend or anybody else.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

Exactly what I was going to say!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible. Cut off a leg...............that's about 50lbs right there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You can lose OVER 100 pounds in a matter of seconds...just tell him "Buh-Bye."
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

^ This ^
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Is it physically possible for a woman to lose 100 pounds in 4 months??????????? I mean, of course there is the "you never know what can happen" and blah blah blah, but I'm speaking REALISTICALLY. He assures me that if I "go hard" in the gym everyday, that there is NO REASON why I shouldn't be able to do it. This is his way of "motivating" me. Pssssssssshhh.

Thoughts?

Well...

drop the boyfriend and I'd say you've lost at least a good 150 lbs.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh I think it's definitely possible if you are heavy enough and go to extreme measures. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it is something you should do. As everytone has said losing weight that quickly is extremly unhealthy and will take a major toll on your body. If he is pressuring you to lose weight, and at an alarmingly unhealthy rate, then maybe you need to reconsider why you are with him. If you truly believe it was just an innocent comment with no bad intentions, then maybe you should still reconsider the relationship since you are willing to call him an a**hole.

Like others have recommended, show him scientific articles about weight loss and show him a plan that you have developed that you know will be safe. Ask him to go on walks with you or to prepare healthy meals with you. Do what you know is right for you and ask for his support. Best of luck!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

this

If he's actually getting his idea of possible from Biggest Loser you might google up some of the articles from people who did the show. Not all of them are happy success stories.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Sure there is-You would be Dead. He has been watching too much of the Biggest Loser. It is not healthy. Speaking of losers-get a new boyfriend!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you did manage it, you would be wildly unhappy with the results.

It is 100% impossible to lose 100lbs in 4 months and end up with your goal body.