A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options

Replies

• new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Who are you losing weight for? Him or YOU? My thoughts??? DUMP HIM. He sounds like a *kitten*. Then you can work on you without his insensitive and stupid remarks...in the end you have to decide though, no poll on MFP will answer this for you.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

^ This ^

AGREED!
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Dump your boyfriend...BOOOM at LEAST 100lbs gone.

not healthy or realistic to lose that much in 4months.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Math time??!

I'm doing this factoring in some weight loss from muscle, with muscle being 600 calories/lb

Say you start off at 225 and are 45% body fat. This means you have 101.25 lbs of bodyfat
    You end up at 125 and 20% body fat. This means you now have 25 lbs of bodyfat

Over your 100 lb loss, you have lost 76.25 lbs from fat and 23.75 from muscle, etc. We'll just say muscle for simplifying purposes.

This calorie equivalent would be 76.25*3500 + 23.75*600 = 281,125 extra calories burned

If there are 120 days in 4 months you would have to have a daily deficit of 281,125/120 or 2,343 calories.

Good luck with that.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're very heavy, you might lose as much as 25 pounds in the first few weeks. That leaves about 75 pounds to lose in 14 weeks. That's five pounds per week. You'd need to have a daily calorie deficit of 2,500 calories. That's pretty much like eating nothing. There's no way. Unless the world is ending in four months, forget about time and focus on losing 2-3 pounds a week.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you had a terrible disease or something you could drop that amount of weight in 4 months. Or just stopped eating.

Does your boyfriend have any evidence of women in your age group who have accomplished this kind of weight loss without having given birth or something?

Ask him for evidence of someone like you who has actually done this. Then ask him for multiple examples. Outliers are just that, outliers. Unless he can produce examples of at least dozens of women who have lost that kind of weight without surgery or other equally drastic measures, then he can go suck rocks.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First, it is possible, but only if you are on a reality television show, and have a bunch of people dragging you through 4 - 5 hour workouts daily, and making sure you eat 1500 calories, and no less. They are (supposedly) monitored by physicians throughout their short stint on the shows.

For the everyday, real world, not on a reality show that will bend the rules, it is not healthy and should not be attempted. Healthy weightloss is 1-2 pounds a week. You could drop 100 pounds in a year and that would be healthy.

Also, make sure your journey is for you, and not for him, or the neighbors, or whomever else.... it's got to be about you! Why? Because YOU are WORTH the effort. :flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Lose the 260 pounds of deadweight that loser represents in your life. You can do that *today*. Then go find your bliss and go at it until you lose what *you* want to lose (if any) and fill that space formerly taken up by your mouth -breather with something that brings you joy and peace.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Watch Naked and Afraid on the National Geographic Channel. It's a show about survival. These people are starving and the women usually only manage to lose 10-15lbs in 3 weeks.

The usual recommendation is no more than 2lbs anything more and most say it's not sustainable for the long term.

Seems like he doesnt love your body now which is weird if he wants someone slimmer why bother you in the first place.

Sorry he touched a nerve. I would be more supportive if he said babe I love you and want you to be healthy lets walk a little more or eat a few more vegetables, but basically challenging you to take drastic measures to get some ideal he wants...NOPE! Not worth it in my books.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

:drinker:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Even if it was possible, it would be really dangerous. Don't try it that way.

Slow and steady wins the race. 1 or 2 pounds a week is fast and safe in the real world. I'm not sure what fantasy land he has been living in.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible if you are morbidly obese.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible if you are morbidly obese.

This... if you weigh like 500 lbs.

But realistically, I'm going with no. You can lose a lot... but you aren't going to lose that much that fast, and if you did, it's liable to cause some serious hormone issues.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    look, if you asked him if it's possible to loose 100 in 4 months, then for sure he gave you the boyfriend answer - the one you wanted to hear. now, if you didn't ask him and he is pushing you to loose 100 in 4 months then it's time for a new boyfriend, methinks

^^^This

He was probably just trying to be supportive and trying to motivate you.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    On the 'extreme weight loss' I watched last night the girl lost 108 pounds in 3 months. but you know, that's 'extreme' weight loss. Her starting weight was 417ish ??
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I feel it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of health experts would consider losing weight so rapidly would be rather risky. Most suggest losing no more than a few pounds a week over a long period of time.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Two answers....its not a realistic goal, and two.....you should get rid of him! Thats not how to motivate someone, thats how to discourage some one in most cases.
  • shelliemacs
    shelliemacs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you can loose 250 lbs in 1 day by DROPPING THE BOYFRIEND, instant success!
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    First of all. No. You will not be able to lose 100 in 4 months unless you are like 400 pounds.

Second, why does everyone always jump to DUMP HIS *kitten*. You dont know their relationship and she already said that it may just be a matter of him not being able to relate as he is not big. Of course, calling him an a-hole in the thread title probably doesnt help with things.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I wonder how this all started...