The men who made us fat

Options

Replies

• jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    seen it. Typical scare mongering based on correlation studies.

Obesity problem is caused by people eating more and moving less. Pretty simple :smile:

That's not true! Sitting around all day eating chinese food, drinking beer and fragging n00bs on the interwebz is what made me fat!

Oh... wait. NVM

(Dear God, I love chinese food more than you. Sorrai)
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If I know how to read (which I'm ALMOST positive that I do) I'm taking a stab in the dark here that the OP's original post didn't say that sugar MADE her or anyone else fat. I THINK she may have been simply stating that she was unaware just how much sugar is in EVERYTHING. But again... what do I know... maybe I should join in the fun and jump to conclusions because it's amusing everyone else. :)

Yeah, thank you.

Also, let me add to the mix (just for fun lol) that the same people in the US who are supposed to make sure that the food is of sufficient quality are also in charge of the drugs that they get rich off of when people get sick from inferior food......the Food and Drug Administration. Now who's bright idea was THAT???

So, yes there really is hidden sugar, fat, and salt in unexpected places. We are not absolved of our responsibility and need to educate ourselves and pay attention and take care of ourselves because they do this, but it is wrong....and it's not an accident.

Please explain to me how the FDA, which is a government agency wholly funded by the Federal Government, gets rich when people get sick? It's not like the FDA gets a cut of the profits from Pharmaceutical manufacturers. In fact, there are laws which specifically prohibit that!
  • DawnW3218
    DawnW3218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just baffling

Point: it isn't about blame when we look at entire populations as systems. The concept of responsibility on an individual level doesn't address what to do about creating a sustainable human existence for the community at large.

Counterpoint: you have no one to blame but yourself for being fat.

Don't you guys get it? Personal responsibility is not the opposite of rational systems on the community level. They aren't at odds because its like arguing Newtonian concepts of gravity in terms of quantum physics. They only contradict each other if you suffer from failure of imagination or a really bad case of rationalism.

I took responsibility for my condition. But I'm also all about evidence so I don't ignore everything that doesn't fit my notions.

I'm bored with you pcastagner - please GO AWAY!!!!
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    In America it is almost near impossible to avoid corn by products in foods, from corn starch, corn syrup, corn meal, its not health, the most recent thing I found it in and know it was not in it prior (at least not on the label) is tea bags, Lipton especially now lists modified corn starch on its label as an ingredient in its tea, why? there should be nothing but tea.

Seriously? Now this is the kind of info I was after when I opened the thread in the first place. Thanks for that!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If I know how to read (which I'm ALMOST positive that I do) I'm taking a stab in the dark here that the OP's original post didn't say that sugar MADE her or anyone else fat. I THINK she may have been simply stating that she was unaware just how much sugar is in EVERYTHING. But again... what do I know... maybe I should join in the fun and jump to conclusions because it's amusing everyone else. :)

Yeah, thank you.

Also, let me add to the mix (just for fun lol) that the same people in the US who are supposed to make sure that the food is of sufficient quality are also in charge of the drugs that they get rich off of when people get sick from inferior food......the Food and Drug Administration. Now who's bright idea was THAT???

So, yes there really is hidden sugar, fat, and salt in unexpected places. We are not absolved of our responsibility and need to educate ourselves and pay attention and take care of ourselves because they do this, but it is wrong....and it's not an accident.

Please explain to me how the FDA, which is a government agency wholly funded by the Federal Government, gets rich when people get sick? It's not like the FDA gets a cut of the profits from Pharmaceutical manufacturers. In fact, there are laws which specifically prohibit that!

Umm, just to make sure discussions are fair and balanced the FDA actually receives over 150 Million in fees from pharma.

http://blogs.plos.org/workinprogress/2012/01/25/how-much-money-do-drug-companies-pay-the-fda/

So no, it isn't wholly funded from the gov.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Yeah, thank you.

... Laws written by a congress whose members are not required to divest even when they sit on committees directly overseeing regulation of interested parties.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    In America it is almost near impossible to avoid corn by products in foods, from corn starch, corn syrup, corn meal, its not health, the most recent thing I found it in and know it was not in it prior (at least not on the label) is tea bags, Lipton especially now lists modified corn starch on its label as an ingredient in its tea, why? there should be nothing but tea.

I agree with you. When you buy tea, the only ingredient should be TEA. Good example of why we SHOULD have ingredient labels on things.

Heres a great idea. DONT BUY IT. If no one bought it, they would stop selling it!

What a concept huh? I guess there are just too many people that dont care and keep buying it is why they keep putting it on the shelves. Until enough people wake up and demand companies stop using cheap ingredients to increase their profit margin, then they will just keep doing it.

Now if they would just put LSD in place of corn starch then we might be on to something.
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    Now if they would just put LSD in place of corn starch then we might be on to something.

Hahahaha love that! who knows .... Maybe it's already happening but is not yet legally required to include in food labels ;) (that's just for the serious conspiracy theorist ;))
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    @ pcastagner: Can't even follow what you're sayain dawg. You be trippin mayne, trippin' all da time mayne.

Start here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/philosophical-battles-empiricism-versus-rationalis.html

Don't you ever wonder if it's possible a is not always a? If maybe you will never get at truth if you have to frame everything as a choice between two opposites?

Have you ever wondered if the strong have an obligation to care for the weak?

I get so sick of hearing those who "make it" bask in the glory of their agency, while chalking up those who fail as inherently, rather than circumstantially inferior. Also sick of those with resources, be it willpower or material, tell those without to simply make use of that which they do not have. It's a supreme failure to understand the human condition beyond the context of ones own experience.

Am I tripping? No.

No I don't wonder. It's my responsibility to take RESPONSBILITY for my own actions.

There are tons of free resources out there regarding nutrition, exercise, metabolism, and on and on. If one chooses not to look into those resources that is your own problem. I don't owe anything to anyone. I will however, help those who come to me for help. I will not waste my time trying to convince those who make excuses though.

No one told you to be lazy.
    No one told you to overeat.
    No one made you broke.

Except for yourself (disclaimer there are obviously outliers, but more often than not you are in control.)
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Just baffling

Point: it isn't about blame when we look at entire populations as systems. The concept of responsibility on an individual level doesn't address what to do about creating a sustainable human existence for the community at large.

Counterpoint: you have no one to blame but yourself for being fat.

Don't you guys get it? Personal responsibility is not the opposite of rational systems on the community level. They aren't at odds because its like arguing Newtonian concepts of gravity in terms of quantum physics. They only contradict each other if you suffer from failure of imagination or a really bad case of rationalism.

I took responsibility for my condition. But I'm also all about evidence so I don't ignore everything that doesn't fit my notions.

I see what you did there. Very clever way to argue against a point. Attack the speaker.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    oh god....chill out people
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

1) Why worry about avoiding corn? It's not dangerous or unhealthy in any way unless the individual has an allergy.

2) Some flavored teas here in the U.S. contain maltodextrin (a corn product) which is used as a flavor base for those added flavors. If you drink regular tea then you won't have this issue, but then again, read the labels.

3) As long as the food is labeled as containing corn products, and of course labeled to reveal the other ingredients as well, then the consumer can read and determine whether to purchase the product or not. Quite contrary to the constant, repetitive and absurd statements made in this thread, the choice is not between regulation and no regulation, as regulation is a fact even in the U.S. By law, food companies must label their food properly thereby providing the consumer with the information necessary to make an informed decision. The sad fact is though that so many people simply choose to ignore this information and seriously overeat and consume too much anyway. This, in turn, affects us all in terms of the costs for medical care (another highly regulated area of the U.S. economy) and lost productivity.

4) I personally read ingredient labels, so the only foods that I eat at home with any added sugars are those that are designed to be sweet such as Pop Tarts, donuts, and ice cream. It's pretty easy to avoid if one bothers to spend a minute reading.
  • pcastagner
    Options

1) Why worry about avoiding corn? It's not dangerous or unhealthy in any way unless the individual has an allergy.

2) Some flavored teas here in the U.S. contain maltodextrin (a corn product) which is used as a flavor base for those added flavors. If you drink regular tea then you won't have this issue, but then again, read the labels.

3) As long as the food is labeled as containing corn products, and of course labeled to reveal the other ingredients as well, then the consumer can read and determine whether to purchase the product or not. Quite contrary to the constant, repetitive and absurd statements made in this thread, the choice is not between regulation and no regulation, as regulation is a fact even in the U.S. By law, food companies must label their food properly thereby providing the consumer with the information necessary to make an informed decision. The sad fact is though that so many people simply choose to ignore this information and seriously overeat and consume too much anyway. This, in turn, affects us all in terms of the costs for medical care (another highly regulated area of the U.S. economy) and lost productivity.

4) I personally read ingredient labels, so the only foods that I eat at home with any added sugars are those that are designed to be sweet such as Pop Tarts, donuts, and ice cream. It's pretty easy to avoid if one bothers to spend a minute reading.

Agree with above
  • 1802go
    1802go Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What I noticed is that some labels say no sugar or low fat have double the carbs and salt.
  • claudialenz711
    Options
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Didn't realize I was required to entertain everyone.

Don't you usually just ignore boring things?
  • claudialenz711
    Options

Oi.. behave! My post, my thread. If you can not handle an open exchange, you're free to vent off somewhere else. Anybody who has anything (and I mean anything) to contribute is most welcome what i'm concerned. The choice is yours!
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    Didn't realize I was required to entertain everyone.

Don't you usually just ignore boring things?

Prematurely posted the reply before having actually replied lol ... done now though ;)
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

Oi.. behave! My post, my thread. If you can not handle an open exchange, you're free to vent off somewhere else. Anybody who has anything (and I mean anything) to contribute is most welcome what i'm concerned. The choice is yours!

local-celebrity-the-power-is-yours-mens-t-shirt-3-jpg.15845
    1314998424840617.gif