Replies

• dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    "Don't listen to advice by random strangers on the internet."
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Live in separate homes. In different states.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "Never let your husband leave the house with an empty stomach and full balls".

Terribly sexist. But the person who said it has been happily married for 35 years...

I love it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Make sure you can accept and can be happy with your partner exactly as they are. Then you won't expect them to change into a "new and improved" version and be disappointed.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Live in separate homes. In different states.

*snort* You'd like him here and you know it ;)
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Always schedule together time, and alone time. Each spouse needs to have his or her own time.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Continue to treat your partner as if you're still "dating".

Every once in a while my man brings me flowers, or chocolates. Every time I go shopping anywhere with cards, I look to see if there are any that remind me of him. I hide them in his car randomly. Sometimes we ditch the kids and go out to a movie. We hold hands.

I'll wear something sexy and seduce him---do something a little more exotic than the standard blow jobs and steak dinners he gets regularly for having the good sense to be with me.

These are the things that were lacking in my failed marriage. (besides that he doesn't beat me. That's advice too. Don't beat your spouse.)
    The other day I woke up in the morning, long after my partner had gone to work in the dark hours of the day. I put on a cup of coffee and went to weigh myself (as is my routine) and my scale wouldn't work. The digital display was glowing a bit, but it couldn't read it, so I flipped on the bathroom light to see what was going on

the display had been covered up by a piece of paper that read "PERFECT" (my profile picture now).

Those little things keep "the spark" alive.

Don't take your person for granted,

neither allow yourself to be taken for granted.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always give the same advice to people getting married.

"Put each other first, and love each other best. The rest will fall in place."

We're celebrating 30 years this November. Works for me!!!
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I got a rather hysterical Wedding RSVP card that is essentially a little mad-libs deal. One of the blanks is basically ... what is your best marital advice? what should you do every day to make your marriage work?

I'm divorced, so my RSVP is complete in perfect divorcee style already... but what would your advice be?

marry me instead
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Don't screw other people. Ever.

well, you know...unless it's THAT kind of marriage....
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Don't let the sun go down on your anger: Settle any real fight before you go to sleep.

Also, make date-nights a regular occurance. Otherwise, once life gets in the way, the romance is lost.

not going to bed angry is terrible advice... sleeping on it makes everything easier to deal with, if the "fight" even really matters to begin with.... its easy to get caught up in the moment... taking a step back and realizing it won't matter in 5 years or even the morning is way better than staying up all night arguing (no sleep, crabby, bad for work next day...causes then resentment...go to sleep)
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Talk to you spouse. Don't assume they have mind reading powers.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Decide if you would rather be happy or you'd rather be right. Sometimes you can have both, but usually being happy trumps being right for me.

Got it on the first try.
    Please, please...teach my wife that one.

The compulsion to be right should be replaced with one to do right.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My parents have been married for 54 years. Something my father told me years ago: Marriage is not a 50/50 give-and-take. If each person gives 100%, then no one has to take.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My advise? Don't.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Naked breakfast...once a week...That's what advice I got before I got married...
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Decide if you would rather be happy or you'd rather be right. Sometimes you can have both, but usually being happy trumps being right for me.

Got it on the first try.
    Please, please...teach my wife that one.

The compulsion to be right should be replaced with one to do right.

Wow, way to proclaim how right you are.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    never stop making an effort.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My best advice: Marriage is hard. Damn hard. Especially when you have kids. Be ready to work!

The speech I gave at my brother's wedding, COMPROMISE. No one is ever 100% right. Meet in the middle.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Continue to treat your partner as if you're still "dating".

Every once in a while my man brings me flowers, or chocolates. Every time I go shopping anywhere with cards, I look to see if there are any that remind me of him. I hide them in his car randomly. Sometimes we ditch the kids and go out to a movie. We hold hands.

I'll wear something sexy and seduce him---do something a little more exotic than the standard blow jobs and steak dinners he gets regularly for having the good sense to be with me.

These are the things that were lacking in my failed marriage. (besides that he doesn't beat me. That's advice too. Don't beat your spouse.)
    The other day I woke up in the morning, long after my partner had gone to work in the dark hours of the day. I put on a cup of coffee and went to weigh myself (as is my routine) and my scale wouldn't work. The digital display was glowing a bit, but it couldn't read it, so I flipped on the bathroom light to see what was going on

the display had been covered up by a piece of paper that read "PERFECT" (my profile picture now).

Those little things keep "the spark" alive.

Don't take your person for granted,

neither allow yourself to be taken for granted.

I love this post. :flowerforyou: