August Cycling Challenge 2013

Options

Replies

• GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just curious if some of the people here who cycle everyday/or most days could help me out. Is it normal to see a weight increase when upping rides/mileage? I used to do about 3-4 days a week and now I am doing 5-6 days. Other than aspect I have not changed anything and I have gone up 2lbs. Will it eventually go back down? Or should I be doing something different.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yep. I noticed the same thing. Some people will start riding more (or increase cardio in general) and thier appetite will increase, so they consume more calories. The problem with biking is that depending on what kind of riding you do, the calories burned estimates on here, and on other websites, can be very inaccurate. I ride in the mountains where the vast majority of my ride is climbing (sometimes 2500+ ft elevation gain in under 2 miles) and my for an hour of riding, my estimate will be around 559 calories. Well, heck...if I ride for an hour on more flat, paved surfaces, my estimate will still be 559, but I gaurantee you I burnt half the calories on that ride.

I fell into this trap for the first month of riding. Now, I simply add carbs during my ride and eat pretty normally the rest of the day. My weight has returned to normal and is dropping slowly. (I'm not trying to lose) If I am doing a longer ride (over two hours) I will eat approximately 100 calories, 10 g of protein, 15 g of carbs and a few fat grams every hour for the entire ride. This keeps my energy up, but doesn't over load me on calories. I don't over eat afterwards either because my body doesn't go into "holy hell, I need some calories and carbs NOW" mode after so many hours of work without fuel. If my rides are under 2 hours they are very intense, so I will eat a few quick carbs beforehand, then eat a normal recovery meal, high in protein, afterwards...then business as usual. I hope this helps. Enjoy the ride!!

Hi there, a few weeks back I increased my mileage / training in general quite substantially, I was burning 2k calories and my weight wasn't shifting, I wasnt eating all my calories back either. But I then increased my calories so that I could burn more and this helped somewhat, also you need to bear in mind when TOM visits and also that when you start increasing mileage/exercises that your muscles hold on to water (water retention) so after a few weeks you'll notice a difference.

Stick with it, it'll work. I'm losing weight now and upping my calories although not going stupidly over, maybe I'll be eating 1600 cals a day so eating theoretically 400 into my training calories.
    Good luck!

Great point! I didn't increase my calories too much (maybe 200-300 increase, yet burning a much greater amount), so that could be part of it. I know I haven't lost "weight", but I am leaner in my back, shoulders and abs, so I know I am losing some fat. I try not to even worry about it. I simply ensure I have enough energy to fuel my lifts and rides, while being able to maintain my general appearance. If I am still hungry after eating my meals a half hour later, I know I need to eat more. I don't worry about it at any other time. :-)
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just curious if some of the people here who cycle everyday/or most days could help me out. Is it normal to see a weight increase when upping rides/mileage? I used to do about 3-4 days a week and now I am doing 5-6 days. Other than aspect I have not changed anything and I have gone up 2lbs. Will it eventually go back down? Or should I be doing something different.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yep. I noticed the same thing. Some people will start riding more (or increase cardio in general) and thier appetite will increase, so they consume more calories. The problem with biking is that depending on what kind of riding you do, the calories burned estimates on here, and on other websites, can be very inaccurate. I ride in the mountains where the vast majority of my ride is climbing (sometimes 2500+ ft elevation gain in under 2 miles) and my for an hour of riding, my estimate will be around 559 calories. Well, heck...if I ride for an hour on more flat, paved surfaces, my estimate will still be 559, but I gaurantee you I burnt half the calories on that ride.

I fell into this trap for the first month of riding. Now, I simply add carbs during my ride and eat pretty normally the rest of the day. My weight has returned to normal and is dropping slowly. (I'm not trying to lose) If I am doing a longer ride (over two hours) I will eat approximately 100 calories, 10 g of protein, 15 g of carbs and a few fat grams every hour for the entire ride. This keeps my energy up, but doesn't over load me on calories. I don't over eat afterwards either because my body doesn't go into "holy hell, I need some calories and carbs NOW" mode after so many hours of work without fuel. If my rides are under 2 hours they are very intense, so I will eat a few quick carbs beforehand, then eat a normal recovery meal, high in protein, afterwards...then business as usual. I hope this helps. Enjoy the ride!!

Hi there, a few weeks back I increased my mileage / training in general quite substantially, I was burning 2k calories and my weight wasn't shifting, I wasnt eating all my calories back either. But I then increased my calories so that I could burn more and this helped somewhat, also you need to bear in mind when TOM visits and also that when you start increasing mileage/exercises that your muscles hold on to water (water retention) so after a few weeks you'll notice a difference.

Stick with it, it'll work. I'm losing weight now and upping my calories although not going stupidly over, maybe I'll be eating 1600 cals a day so eating theoretically 400 into my training calories.
    Good luck!

Great point! I didn't increase my calories too much (maybe 200-300 increase, yet burning a much greater amount), so that could be part of it. I know I haven't lost "weight", but I am leaner in my back, shoulders and abs, so I know I am losing some fat. I try not to even worry about it. I simply ensure I have enough energy to fuel my lifts and rides, while being able to maintain my general appearance. If I am still hungry after eating my meals a half hour later, I know I need to eat more. I don't worry about it at any other time. :-)

Thank you guys so much for the input! I am already seeing the scale go down from where it went up. It was just very alarming to see that big jump in such a little time. I typically eat most of my cals back that I burn so that I net 1400. It actually makes me less hungry when I do longer rides so sometimes I net a little lower than that. I also just found a supplement called Sportsleg that I started to taking to hopefully reduce the water and lactic acid build-up that was hindering my progress. It has some great reviews so we shall see if it works. Thanks again for all of your help =)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    8/7 Rode 10.06 Mi
    Didn't clock the walk around the neighborhood with my neighbors.
    Intended to run this morning, but stormy weather prevented that.
    Hoping for clear weather for tonight's girl's ride!

Total so far: 67.24 mi
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Logged a quick 4 miles last night in the mountains. It was steep climb and a wicked decend. EPIC! Tonight....planning a similar ride, only 7 miles long. Love interval hill climbs!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Logged a quick 4 miles last night in the mountains. It was steep climb and a wicked decend. EPIC! Tonight....planning a similar ride, only 7 miles long. Love interval hill climbs!

Yep! HIIT by cycling is awesome. My neighborhood is naturally hilly but now that my endurance is up I'd like to find something a little more stressful. Keep pushing limits!

8/1 - 12.57
    8/2 - 12.40
    8/3 - 12.11
    8/4 - 13.08 (AM)
    8/4 - 06.71 (PM)
    8/5 - 23.10
    8/6 - 12.06 [42:52 @ 16.9 mph]
    8/7 - 06.18 [22:51 @ 16.2 mph] (AM)
    8/7 - 10.18 [36:59 @ 16.5 mph] (Noon)
    8/7 - 12.03 [43:59 @ 16.4 mph] (PM)
    8/8 - 06.24 [26:21 @ 14.2 mph] (AM)
    8/8 - 10.24 [37:06 @ 16.6 mph] (Noon)

MTD - 136.90
  • BrittNelson86
    BrittNelson86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 23.3 mi
    8/4= 40 mi

MTD = 63.3
  • drfrink
    drfrink Posts: 14
    Options
    Long ride today along east bay bikepath 18.72miles in 1:42
    8/2 9.5mi
    8/5 4.5mi
    8/7 11.17mi
    8/8 18.72
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    August goal = 100 miles.

8/1 - 0
    8/2 - 7.0 miles.
    8/3 - 7.2 miles.
    8/4 - 1.2 miles. I mowed today instead of riding.
    8/5 - 1.0 miles. I finished mowing today instead of riding. Neighbor a couple doors down got hit on his bike Friday (hit & run). He didn't even fall, but wound up with a compound fracture of his left elbow. Be careful out there people. AND WEAR A HELMET.
    8/6 - 5.4 miles outside on a rainy day. Found a farmer's dog dead on the side of the road. Sad.
    8/7 - 6.2 miles.
    8/8 - 5.5 miles. My first ride without my Walkman (external speakers, not earbuds). I require music.

Goal = 100 miles.
    Accomplished MTD = 33.5 miles.
    Remaining miles = 66.5 miles.
  • duntov1966
    Options
    I'll start with a 100 mile goal.

8/1 - 10.6 miles (std Thursday night ride on the 'Greenway'.
    8/4 - 4.5 miles (was camping prior weekend - sore and tired)
    8/5 - 6.3 miles (warm up spinning muscles - hope for long ride on Tuesday)
    8/7 - 12.2 miles (15.9 mph avgerage over 12 miles)

MTD = 33.6 Miles
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 8.46 miles
    8/2 - 8.61 miles
    8/3 - 8.41 miles
    8/4 - 9.35 miles
    8/5 - 8.48 miles
    8/6 - 8.41 miles
    8/7 - 14.38 miles
    8/8 - 14.58 miles

Goal - 200 miles
    MTD - 80.68 miles
  • Ekboriqua
    Ekboriqua Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Another great night, the rain held up. Lighting in the distance, it calls for rain tomorrow.

08/01 - 9.06 miles - 590 calories
    08/02 - 0.00 rainy day no biking today
    08/03 - 0.00 rainy day
    08/04 - 0.00 rainy day no biking again
    08/05 - 0.00 rainy day, love this season, its killing me - did 3 miles on the treadmill.
    08/06 - 0.00 not feeling well - took the day off
    08/07 - 14.27 miles - 929 calories
    08/08 - 11.31 miles - 737 calories
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 25.32 miles
    8/2 - 17.0 miles
    8/4 - 40.39
    8/6 - 7.2
    8/7 - 10.5
    8/8 - 24.96

Total : 126.35

exercise.png
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1st Aug - 34.72 miles
    2nd Aug - 21.12 miles
    5th Aug - 34.61 miles
    6th Aug - 34.78 miles
    7th Aug - 34.66 miles
    8th Aug - 34.80 miles
    9th Aug - 17.41 miles

Total: 212.10miles *** woop woop previous 200 mile goal thrashed ***
    Target: 300 miles *** new goal ***
    Remaining: 87.9 miles
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    8/8 Rode 14.79 Mi

Total so far: 82.03 mi
  • Birdiebull
    Options
    Goal = 620mi (~1000k)

8/1 = 30mi
    8/2 = 20mi
    8/3 = 70mi
    8/4 = rest
    8/5 = 20mi
    8/6 = 30mi
    8/7 = rest
    8/8 = rest
    8/9 = 20mi

Total = 190mi :smile:

Miles to Goal = 430mi

This week was tough with a few rainy days so I had more rest days than I would have liked. But this weekend is looking lovely!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I got in 7.2 miles this morning.

exercise.png
  • kryten83
    kryten83 Posts: 12
    Options
    5.94 miles yesterday. Average speed was so low as I had to keep slowing down to walking pace to get past the hordes of dog walkers and ramblers. Might have to find a less busy place or time of day - not burning many calories riding at 5mph :(
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I fell over several times when I started with the clipless pedals... that can hurt and you feel and look silly tipping over so watch it.
    However they add greatly to riding and leg toning.

Haha! I am awaiting the inevitable fall. Everyone keeps telling me it will happen, and when it does there's nothing you can do about it. I love the clipless pedals and shoes though, my times have improved and my muscles fell better, less front knee pain ( I think I had bad leg form before).
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well my bike was brand new out of the box when i got it in the beginning of June but no, no oiling. But then again, I don't ride in bad/muddy conditions. I did inspect the chain yesterday when I was looking at the derails. The shop I took the bike to for a once-over after I assembled it made some adjustments but said to expect some necessary adjustments after breaking it in for the first time.

Now.... the noise is down but the gears don't shift quite as smooth.
    I'm no oil/techy geek but you need oil on the chain... I get some stuff from Muck off and it's really good, everything works well and the chain isnt rusting, not only caused by bad/muddy conditions, just by wear and tear. I'd suggest you get some oil and oil the chain...
    Yeah, you really need to clean and oil your chain, just like a car needs maintenance, to keep things running smoothly. Go to Wal*Mart and pick up some White Lightning Clean Streak in the aerosol an and Clean Ride Lube in the bike section.
  • FranceBound57
    Options
    So happy to have found this group. I too was a runner and my knees just can't take it anymore - possibly the extra weight is a factor as well. I decided to start cycling. I'm loving it. The only downfall is my city is extremely hilly and some of the hills are really steep! That said, I'm getting out there.

My goal this month is to be able to actually pedal up either Gordon Street or Edinburgh Road without having to get off and walk to the top.

I completed a 25km cycling tour in Essex County last Saturday - lucky for me the terrain was VERY flat. Now I'm back home - hopefully I can do the same this weekend.
    Cheers!