How big of an age gap do you have between you and your S.O.?

Options
Hey everyone, I was just curious what the difference is in age between you and your significant other. I am trying to decide how old is too old for me. I am a 25 y/o girl who has been dating a 37 y/o man. That is quite a gap in age. Of course, I will still do what I think is best, but is that big of an age gap gross to you?

Please tell me your opinion. I have never dated that much older. He is single with no kids. What do you think?

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well, my husband is 4 1/2 months older than me. I was engaged to a man who was almost 10 years older than me...but that didn't work out too well. LOL. He's now happily married to someone else! I do know a girl who's 22, and who's been married since 18 to a man who's in his 40s (late 40s I believe). She's step mom to a girl who's 4 years younger than her. But they seem to have a really great marriage, so who am I to judge? I think that if you're happy, it doesn't matter how old your partner is.
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As long as your happy who cares what anyone else thinks!!! Age is just a number. Sure there is a difference but it doenst really matter. There are a lot worse out there in age difference than you. Keep smiling and be happy is what matters.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I am nine years older than my wife. We met when I was seventeen.

Ok not really.. :tongue:

But she is nine years younger than me.
  • brockly25
    Options
    5 years i'm younger :P
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 44...hubs is 51...7 years apart and married over 20
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    Hey girl!! The men I have dated average between 6 & 9 years older and just 2 years ago I dated a guy for about 6 months that was 18 years older! I was 24 and he was 42. I know, I know crazy! He was divorced and had 2 kids. We did not split because of age or any other reason other than our careers took us in different directions and we both had to move.

If you are happy and in love, than go for it! Just don't date someone that could be your grandpa. I was pushing it dating someone who could have been my father.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I was in that same situation in my early 20's. It never bothered me then. But, I know all the "looks" we got from other people. And I brought him as my date to a wedding once and my friend's mother asked if he was my dad! :grumble:

It's a personal choice really. Think about him in 10 years. Are you going to be happy with the body of a 47 year old? lol

My husband is 6 1/2 years younger than me. Sometimes I feel bad for him because I think he should be with somebody younger. But, yay for me because I have a young, hot husband! :tongue:
  • ambercole
    Options
    I am 26 and my hubby will be 40 next month. We dont even notice the difference. It is hilarious when someone asks if he is my dad though! LOL
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    my bf of over a year is 11 years older than me WITH 2 children... its all good, if he makes u happy it really doesnt matter!!! and always remember guys are MUCH more immature so older is usually better, and i dno A LOT of ppl think im crazy and am "throwin my 20s away" being with an older man but i have yet to go a day in a full year without smiling because of something he has done, said, or just simply because he makes me feel amazing... good luck
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    6 years, 11 months, and 26 days. I got married at 19, he was 25. We are still together after 9 years :)
  • WrenLynn
    Options
    My husband is ten years older than I am. We married when I was thirty and he was forty years old and it didn't seem strange or weird or anything. I truly believe men don't mature until they are in their thirties especially now a days. On the other hand why is he is still single? He may have committment issues or it may be he just hasn't found the one. You are the one that will have to deal with the relationship no matter what the guys age is so it is truly your preference and what your goals are in life. I know when we married my hubby thought he was to old to want to have a child so we didn't but if that would have been a big deal to me then I would have needed to end the relationship. Good Luck!
  • rosef17
    Options
    I am 2 years older than my husband. I think the most important thing is how your S.O. treats you - not the age.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years and 8 months younger than my boyfriend. Not a big deal now but back when we first started seeing each other I was 14 and he was 16 going on 17. Now I just turned 24 and he is 26.

I think it all depends on where you are in life. If you are 22 and finished college, have a good career and are ready to settle down, someone who is the same age may not be on the same page, someone 26 or 30 may be.. but then someone who is also 22 may be ready for the same things in life. I think it all depends on what your expectations of a relationship are, what you want in life, and if they are supportive of you and have similar goals (i.e. wanting to get married, having children or wanting to get married but no children, etc.) Age is just a number.. but I think maturity has more to do with how a relationship ends up rather than age.

Do what feels right for YOU. I know it's hard because because are going to give you looks and talk behind your back when they discover your boyfriend's age. But if he makes you happy then that is all that really matters.
  • John8188
    Options
    17 years. I am older. It can be hard sometimes. But it is worth it.
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    Girl if you're happy, no worrying about the age!! I am 30 my husband is 26... I was 21 & he was 17 [8 days shy of 18] when we got together... lucky for you he's not "too" immature =D

If you are happy girl, age is nothing but a number. He treats you good? Good. You like/love him? Good. Do you trust him? Gooood... So, you're good!

Now, if you are having doubts about him... slow down & re-evaluate your life... Then make your decision based on your heart & women's intuition.. but first & foremost... PRAY about it! Good luck!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 5 years older than my husband.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    me and my husband met when I was 23, he was 30. He is 7 yrs older. At 23 he seemed so much older and I thought about breaking up with him because of the age thing. Well we are still together and I am now 47, he is 53. Now the age thing does matter and we seem closer in age as we get older. If you are happy thats all that matters
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There is almost 8 years between my husband and I, I am 39 and he is 47. The older you get the age difference matter less and less.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    7 yrs. I am 36 and he is 43. never has seemed wierd and no problems with it.!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    Options
    My husband is 3 years older than me. Met him when I was 18, right outta highschool, been married 15 years now. I agree w/everyone else....as long as he treats you right....
    I hope these replies help ya out mama! :wink: