Feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Goldglintedwater
    Options
    I cannot agree with you more. I do have to say though that I feel super guilty when I eat over 1200 on most days but on cheat days I'm like pssht bring on the junk he he. I think its still a little low but it all depends on how active you are. If you lift weights then yeah 14-15,000 calories or even 2,000 would be good.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I ate 1200 calories per day I'd feel awful because it's so few calories.

This. I don't know how people eat less or at 1200 cals a day. I think my head would explode.
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are an active human being at all, you should be eating way more..
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    I feel like I would starve if i only ate 1,200 calories a day

edit: just read a few posts saying the same thing
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

If this were true, I would be hugely overweight. I lose at 2000.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You should feel guilty for damaging your metabolism from undereating.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Um no. You need to eat to function. I would re-evaluate your relationship with food.

Yup. This right here.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options

Ok, I totally give up on this thread at this point. :huh:

This should be the "WHAT NOT TO DO" thread.... I suggest to do some homework if you are only eating 1200 cal a day... that goes for anybody eating 1200 cal a day... it's just not enough. Sad, very sad.

I like you!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    with all of this said, MFP is supposed to be about support, motivation. Everyone obviously is doing a great job with the weight loss. I don't understand the general lack of kindness some people show. It's not necessary. No one is a expert.

Including yourself.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.

I am on 1200 calories, I do not feel guilty, I am losing weight and inches.

and no, my muscle is not being eaten into, only my fat.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I feel like I would starve if i only ate 1,200 calories a day

edit: just read a few posts saying the same thing

Most likely you would, you are male and just 21.
  • 3rdChance
    Options
    As I explained earlier, I am a recovering food addict. At 5'2", I weighed 210 pounds in 2010. I got help and down to 180. I ended up in a "second wave" and joined MFP and went on and off for a little over a year. I am still at 180 so while stuffing my face for emo reasons, I still maintained. That's the only blessing.

Now, I am in training to prepare my body so I can get back into competitive archery and start my horse's first show season. I consume 1,200 calories plus whatever additional covered by my exercise calorie burn. Two weeks ago, I started exercising an hour a day. Routine includes pilates, yoga and, of course, riding. Most days I am closer to 2 hours.

So, no, I'm not into food because I can't be. It would be like an alcoholic having a wine cellar.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 -is- appropriate for some people. Folks under 4'10 do exist and my jaw would smack the floor if there weren't at least a couple of them on this site. For the vast majority, though, that figure is thrown around because it's considered to be the point where it's unrealistic for them to get enough nutrition from food and a lack of things that most people struggle to limit starts coming into play. Let your body have what it needs and have a practical diet rather than one that only serves to lose weight.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump for reading later :happy:
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    I have 3000 cal once a week but still manage to lose weight by regularly going to the gym for the burn. So no need to feel guilty on 1200 calories.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ugh
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    lol
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 2000 calories or so ... no shame.

I started to do this because when I tried to eat 1400-1600cal/day I'd ALWAYS end up eating more on other days anyway...a LOT more some of those days. So I am eating 2000 cal/day now and still getting in all of my usual activity. I'm hoping this way I'll lose slow and steady. And this will be 100% sustainable for me.
  • XXXforeverXXXyoung
    XXXforeverXXXyoung Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually feel guilty even if I create a deficit from working out ;-; I know that I shouldn't worry since it's only a day but it still makes your weight look higher on the scale due to higher sodium intake. I usually have around 500 -700 cals but since I've started working out my appetite is coming back :(