WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday - (yes I know it is Sunday, but I didn't get to check in yesterday - did my food but not here).

Did grocery shopping and then in the afternoon went walking at the mall with DBF. Mat up with friends, but only for a few minutes because they had been shopping and were on their way home.

Came back and after supper started working on my last lace piece for my portfolio. Got to the corner (it is a rectangle) and found that I'd made a mistake when drafting the pattern and had to undo a chunk of it and then get back on the computer and redesign the corners - then remake the pattern, then with a very fine pair of scissors I was able to trim the wrong pattern away from under the threads and insert the new one in its place. It took me all evening to get it done - would have got a lot more done, except for that. As a result I had no computer time except for working on the lace pattern.

That's the end of my Saturday report - now to go back to read pages 18 and 19.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning everyone

Midhele - I have VERY mild osteoporosis, but Osteogenesis Imperfecta is a genetic problem with the collagen layer which is the layer in the bone between the marrow which goes down the middle and the hard bone stuff on the outside. The collagen is missing some of its bits (it is a triple spiral a bit like DNA but some bits of one of the spirals is faulty or missing for me because I have type 1 - mild) which means that the hard bone has nothing to hang on to. Think of making papier maché - if you stick the bits of paper to chicken wire then it is very sturdy - if you make the papier maché with no chicken wire, then you can break it very easily. That is what my bones are like - but basically because I have a mild variety it is mostly my arms that have been affected, although I have had broken toes and ribs.

I looked at how to do the plank on a u-tube video - not sure if I could do it - certainly it would have to be on my forearms, but I can't kneel down. I'd have to try kneeling onto a cushion to see if I could do it.

DBF and I are going to a local garlic festival this afternoon. We are having salmon done on the bbq this evening for supper - the cedar plank is soaking at the moment. Found a really good recipe which has maple syrup and lemon juice for a coating on the salmon and it is cooked on the plank on top of sweet onions. I found it worked better when I marinated the salmon rather than trying to paint it on to the salmon on the grill. Might try putting some garlic on it too, but will have to be careful not to overwhelm the taste of the salmon.

Now I'm off to paint the last wall of my sun porch and then have a bath and wash my hair.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    hidee ho ladies,
    back from the gym and walmart:bigsmile:
    well at walmart I bought a size 12 pair of levi's for 3 bucks. but what I thought were 12 short I think are 12 slim :frown: ,i got them on as far as the hips and then all the jiggly bits got in the way,but for that money will set them away and hope they fit sometime soon.
    bought myself a 10.00 pedmeter that has a spring clip and a safety clip also, so will use that for now. have gotten over 6,000 steps in and waiting now for the grass to dry to go out and mow.. I am sitting here icing my heel as it still hurts...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love your quotation, "I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov. It is so pertinent to all of us. We each have our strengths and weaknesses and only have to try to do better than we did yesterday and last month to make progress.:smile: As to plank, I’m having fun trying and my initial 65 seconds was made possible by the year and a half of yoga I’ve been doing. "Go (down) dog, go.":bigsmile:

Janie: “Wait a minute, I'm one of those now, (cue the tittering laughter):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ” I like your sense of humor.:laugh:

Newbies: Welcome to the group. Stick around and get to know people. We have members from several countries, states and provinces. Please post your location in your signature. It is so much fun knowing where people are.:wink:

KMMRN: One of my treats is Endangered Species Dark Chocolate. One square is 50 calories. I have it occasionally and had a square last night. A person nibbles it rather than gobbles it. :wink:

yanniejannie: Welcome back. I find funerals bittersweet. You have to say goodbye to a loved one, but get to reconnect with the surviving friends and family. Hugs to you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy your train trip to London. We rarely take train rides but I enjoy them when we do. We rode the train to the Seattle Boat Show a few years ago with a group of sailing friends and all stayed at the same hotel. That was FUN.:bigsmile:

It is a cool and overcast morning here, but will probably be a nice day. The forecast is for sunnier weather as the week goes on. I’m trying to think of something fun to do with DH. There are good options in Portland and Astoria every Sunday, and there’s a park not far away where we can ride our trikes on trails that are away from the roads. Since he’s just gotten up we can talk about it. :smile:

Have a good day.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.
    Welcome all new ladies.You`ll love this site.
    Barbie,is so good about starting every month.
    Lost 1.8 lbs this week,was hoping for more,but i`ll take it.
    HUGS
    jane
  • amysant
    amysant Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I just found this board and am excited to join in. My name is Amy, I live in Colorado, and I will be 55 in 10 days. I have decided that I will give myself the gift of of renewed health! I have lost and gained weight so many times over the years, and losing is so much harder now. I would like to lose 20 pounds, and keep it off.
    I just started reading the Beck Diet Solution, with the goal of using cognitive therapy to change how I think. Has anyone used this method? The book suggests you chose a healthy diet program, and use Cognitive Therapy helps to train your brain to think like a thin person. I am several chapters into the book, and get it! Married to a naturally thin person for 20 years, it is making sense. I need to find a support group, and I think this just might be it. :smile:
    I wear a Fitbit every day, and love seeing how many steps and flights of stair I can log each day. Walking is a passion, but I need to do more exercise for flexibility and core. So, I will give yoga a try,
    So, that is a little about me. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you! :happy:

Amy
    Westminster, CO (halfway between Denver and Boulder)
  • sunbaby2013
    Options
    Morning everyone! Welcome to the new ones! I LOVE this group of people. Motivation and Encouragement if what this group is all about.

Have a GREAT SUNDAY!

Darla from Ohio :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Options
    Amy Sant: Welcome.:smile: I let MFP set my calorie goals and it is doing the job just fine. This isn't quick, but it is reliable and I plan to keep it up permanently, even when I no longer need to lose weight. Here is what works for me:

1. Count the calories
    2. Log every bite and swallow
    3. Drink more water
    4. Move more
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well the lawn is mowed,my foot is killing me and I am out on the deck on my chaise lounge with dogs in my lap.. done for right now.. and then in a bit got chop up some veggies for the week.I have been going as my grandfather used to say Hell bent for election since early this morning.. time to take it easy for awhile...:happy:
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning, Ladies- How are you all doing today?

I sang at church last night, but I was extremely frustrated during the rehearsal session. I just don't do chaos well anymore. The new, young Japanese woman who plays for us on Saturday is extremely talented, but so young that she isn't a very good leader, yet. I know she will develop those skills and be awesome, but it is so difficult to get the service together when she has such trouble making and sticking to her decisions. OK- I am done now.

Food went fine yesterday, nothing got stuck; nothing came back. It counted as a "good" day.

I went to the Al-Anon meeting, but I had the time wrong! I got there during the last 10 minutes of the meeting! I went in anyway! For me, that was a huge "good thing"! They were very welcoming, and I now have contact information and correct times & places for other meetings in the area. My being late didn't seem to bother them at all, and they made me feel as if I was welcomed and wanted. I will go back to that meeting next Saturday, but I am also going to a new comer's meeting at the Episcopal Church on Monday morning.

As I have been reading the posts, I have been struck by the repeated themes running through many of our lives. Many of us have felt alienated by family, many have felt like most of their lives have been dedicated to caring taking others and our just now deciding to care-take ourselves, and many are surprised at how healthy & fit we can feel when we do take care of ourselves! Someone posted about cognitive therapy as a way to retrain our thinking, and I agree. I really do need to rewrite all of the scripts in my system/brain/life that tell me that overeating is the only way I can treat myself because anything else is 'selfish'. Something to work on!

Janie- Don't overthink! I hate writing to impress other people! Those districts should use common sense and not "au courant" thinking to create effective schools and teachers, but we both know they won't! Good Luck with the job search, I hope you find the perfect assignment for you!

Michele- Don't get anxious over the Newcomers' Social; they are going to have fun and enjoy themselves even if things are not "perfect"! They are coming to socialize, not criticize. And, with all of the rain and flooding in your area, I bet some of them have had damage done to their homes, too. They will understand.

Granmallie- Keep that poor foot up for a while! I have images of you just a-buzzing around, never still, never quiet! I get worn out thinking about all you do! Take care, my Friend!

Ok- For today, I am going to go outside and pick weeds. Doesn't that just sound like fun! Monsoon season down here creates green things in yards that really should not be here! I won't burn many calories crawling around the rocks, but the little, green nasties will be gone!

Have a great day!
    Pat (Phoo) in sunny Az!
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Everyone! :flowerforyou:

Update on my August goals:

Continue to exercise 6 days a week. Done :smile:
    Visit the gym!! Pending
    Continue to increase daily water intake, goal is 8 glasses a day. My average is still 5 – 6 glasses
    Continue to record food and exercise each day. Done :smile:
    Remember my pedometer!! Done :smile:
    Find an exercise group. Done --- joined the 50 mile challenge…I’ve done 16 miles with 34 miles to go. I also started the Strength Challenge. :happy:  Swim 2 to 3 times a week. Done :happy:
    Have a positive attitude! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am having a quiet day so far, however, soon my husband and our youngest son (3 ½ years old) will be back from the store and my quiet time will end. :love:

Hope you all have a good week! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Terri, from Oregon
  • grandmallie
    Options
    watching nascar, with my foot brace on, and will probably go soak in the tub for a bit, then feed the boys and walk them and cut up the veggies.
    Pat- I know sometimes I feel like I am a whirling dervish never stopping. but I know thats not good, so I am trying to sit..
    well off to the tubby,and then on to more work... but then I will sit again:happy:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies:flowerforyou:

This is a rare treat for me to pop in the afternoon:happy: !

Gail:smile: I'll try to make a long story short about meeting "the guys". There was a coffee shop I used to go to after my husband died, sometimes I would have coffee and a cookie for dinner there, one day a guy that I saw all the time there asked if he could sit with me, so he did, I ended up dating him after awhile and he introduced me to some of his friends who also frequented the coffee shop. It was a nightly ritual to meet and have coffee and chat with everybody, the guy I was dating didn't last, he moved to the west coast, by that time his friends were also my friends, our wonderful local coffee shop shut down because Starbucks moved in across the street:sad: , so we grudgingly:angry: moved across the street, and our nightly meetings became Sunday mornings. Since being there we have added 2 more guys. There is a professor, a computer tech, a detective, a banker, a real estate agent, an artist and sometimes an architect, all are single except the professor. It's a great group of guys, they are very protective of me too! So I've know most of the guys for 14 + years. Most have seen me skinny, so they're cheering on my weight loss goals.

Amy:smile: welcome to the group! Come in often and chat with us!!!

Grandmallie:smile: you remind me of a little cute bumble bee, buzzing around everywhere! I bet your fur boys are happy that you sat down long enough to hold them!

Pat (Phoo):smile: Good for you going into the meeting even though you were late!!! It feels good when we finally do something that in the past we wouldn't have done. That is a huge victory:flowerforyou: !!!! It is interesting how much we're all alike, yet so different too.

Terri:smile: Quite time is good isn't it! You're doing great on your goals!!!

Time for my lunch, today it's yogurt, I'm going out to dinner tonight and saving my calories for that!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny again:glasses: NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - thanks for the background. Life is interesting, isn't it?

Pat (Phoo) - what part do you sing in the choir? I've spent many years singing in church choirs, but stopped about 4 or 5 years ago. It is a huge commitment and it just wasn't working in my schedule any more. I still enjoy singing from the pew, though.

Went to the grocery store and brought home some wonderful fruits and vegetables. I have been noticing how different my shopping cart items are these days, not only from other's carts, but from our own history. There is way more produce and virtually no prepared foods any more. Now when DH goes, it is a different story.....but he is much better with good choices than in the past. DH likes to buy huge bags of potatos, but I just bought 2 individual ones and 2 sweet potatos. They start to go south before we can use up a big bag anymore.

This week's menus include stuffed eggplant (just browned up the meat/seasoning/onions), butternut squash soup (which I've been hankering for -- used some of the sauteed onions in it, a couple boxes of the frozen squash, etc., and it is in the crockpot), roast beef (which I took out of the freezer to thaw - DH can pop it in the oven or on the grill one day as he works just 2 days this week), and salmon (still in the freezer). I expect the salmon may not happen as he goes out of town on Thursday and there will likely be plenty for me to continue eating (without cooking) while he is away for the weekend.

Tonight we are going to a 'wine dinner' for 8 at Carrabba's. DH's bid won it in a silent auction at a golf tournament a couple of months back. We have three couple-friends joining us there, one of which we haven't seen in such a long time! Really looking forward to it. The restaurant sets the menu, pairs the wines, etc., so I don't have a clue what it will be, beyond delicious! They did ask about food allergies, which was good. I'll have to log the damage after I get home. For me, it will be easy to mostly skip the wine as it doesn't hold much appeal for me. (Moscatos, though, are another story!)

Well, I need to get in some preemptive walking to offset the dinner. DH will be home in an hour -- the indoor walking annoys him a bit, I think, but it is TOO hot to be outside and I don't want to drive up to the Y and get really sweaty.

BBL
    Gail, metro ATL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I feel like all I have been lately is a whiney butt. Both my husband and I have had bad backs off and on. If it's fine it's fine. If it's not it's not. Last night I was taking a load out of the dryer and couldn't hardly stand up. Got that load done since it was my white load and pretty light and a small load. Then DH took the other loads out of the dryer for me and I hung them up and he brought them upstairs and put them in my closet. He even told me to go on to bed and he would finish it! Some times he is a wonderful man, other times I can't stand him and wonder why I am with him..

Saying all that I have been seriously considering dropping out for awhile. I don't want you all just see me as a needy and person who needs prayers and thoughts.

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Joyce- stay with us my friend, you all can whine anytime.. thats why we are here, we are the shoulder you need.. dont worry sometimes my DH drives me over the edge:grumble: but it blows over and its fine again..
    dont go anywhere we love ya honey!!!!
    have parchment paper flounder with carrots,pepper strips,and lemon in the oven for dinner..
    took the boys for a walk around the block and one has eaten we shall see if mr Homer decides to eat..
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All! I have read a lot of the posts but have not written lately. It is very difficult for my short attention span to keep up. LOL

It's been a long Sunday here. DH is doing his monthly antique show (Scott's) and will be home later today. It's strange, but, when he does this for 4 days every month I really get lonely. Guess it's because he is usually here for most of the day.

I don't exercise very much cause I usually hurt some part (neck, elbows, knees) when I try and then can't do anything until that ache goes away. I have been walking short distances with my little Pom every day. He has always loved being outside in our back yard but has developed a skin condition that the vet thinks may be coming from the yard. This little dog is not very well socialized and barks incessantly at anyone else who is walking (especially with their dogs). It's really embarrassing. We are going to the beach next week and staying in a hotel that allows dogs. I hope he won't get us kicked out.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just got awake from a 2hr. nap. I went to bed terribly early (10p) and was wide awake by 4a, so I was well faded by this afternoon. This morning was weekly pill day.......Fosamax---hate it, hate it, hate it!!!! Had my monthly gym members breakfast at Golden Corral this am; very poor turn out..........3 of the men, my dd (she finished up and came home from that college summer job yesterday), and myself. DD knows everybody and we all had a good talk, though. I did not go out to the college and help drive home; the fact that she only got lost once (on I 95, no less!!!) and eventually made it home is cheering.

Granmallie........your Fl home looks wonderful---will look up that site........I agree with Barbie: healthy food vs. Nascar---healthy food wins!!..........rest that foot!!!......please.........

Dee Dee.......still a yearly mammogram here too; had a small scare last year......all turned out OK, but I'm more than willing to go each year

Pat.........glad your Al-Anon experience was welcoming, hope they lead you to some peace with what is going on with your sister

Joyce.......we each have our own challenges..........some have more and some have less; rest assured, you are always welcome and please stay!!!

Trivia..........world record for plank: 3hrs. 7min. 15sec. set in Ky. April 20,2013

yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Options

Saying all that I have been seriously considering dropping out for awhile. I don't want you all just see me as a needy and person who needs prayers and thoughts.

Joyce

Joyce, I certainly don't see you as any needier than the rest of us and I hope you'll reconsider dropping out. You've been positive and a wonderful help to me as I try to understand life from DH's POV. If you're too busy or aren't enjoying this, fine. Otherwise, please hang in here with us.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    Options
    lasted 45 seconds with a plank today:laugh: sad