What is up with wearing clothes that are to small for you?

Options

Replies

• NBeehler
    NBeehler Posts: 24
    Options
    I saw a sign recently that made me laugh and sums up this topic perfectly;

"Welcome to the city of ________.
    Please dress for the body you have and not the body you want."
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I really do not understand this. I have the opposite problem, myself. I've always worn my clothes somewhat too large. It was never really a big issue until I lost the most recent 20-25 lb (since joining MFP) and it became painfully obvious...even my friends and family have made comments about it. Finally I'm getting used to the way all of my 1X tops and size 18 pants fit, and now they are getting too large too which is not a problem but it's just so weird for me. Every time I put on an XL or try on a 16 I feel crazy, like there's no way I can possibly be in that size since in my head I wear a 3X top and 22 pant.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I wont get rid of any of my fat clothes until the literally fall off me...so I look like I am always wearing a mu-mu, and then I get up set that no one notices I have lost weight. But it is so nice to not have to squeeze into clothes.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with tight pants on men. Especially Jareth. That is all.

david-bowie-bulge-gif.gif

Gimme, gimmer moar.

tumblr_lp2yxk7fzY1qkmpj8o1_500.gif

My childhood crush...
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: If it looks like you are baking bread in your jeans, get a bigger size.

Next rule, if you bend or squat and i can see BUTT CRACK.....

:bigsmile: :drinker: :laugh:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    My clothes are a little on the tight side... but that's because I gained 20 lbs over the past year and am too poor to rebuild my wardrobe from top to bottom.

With that said, I have shirts that fit me in XS and shirts that are too tight in XL. I think some people don't know how to shop for different sizes with different brands.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Some people have different mirrors? Or don't have them at all. I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes that are way too big & make me look bigger.

So do I, it drives my family crazy. But I can't stand clothes that "fit". My daughter gave me a blazer and it was so tight it made my shoulders hump, and it was up to my waist. She said it was a correct fit on me!

What adorable fuzz-ball is your avatar??
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    This has gotten way off topic. I was talking about people who PURPOSELY bought clothes that were too small for them. Because they could. I'm not angry about it or seriously judgmental or anything it was an honest question one that's been in my head for a while and I just wanted some opinions. I wasn't talking about people who couldn't afford to buy new clothes or whatever. I was talking about the girls who purposely buy smaller clothes so they can say they wear a smaller size, but it just doesn't look good on them.
    to be fair, you are assuming that that's what they're doing, unless you actually ask people if they purposely went out and bought something that was a size too small for them or what, and that still makes you a bit rude!
    I just don't buy that you've overheard many people saying this, especially not enough to prompt a whole topic about it!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I know where I live finding clothes can be an issue. The closest store with clothing is a Walmart that has a women's section that tops out at 24, most of it is fairly low rise. So seeing girls walk around with a muffin top isn't unusual because you buy what's available. I'm sure vanity is a part of it, but I wore my 30's, then 28's until I was able to go somewhere further off to shop and got something smaller that fit.

I've got two size phases though....the "I managed to pull and wiggle into the smaller size, they button and zip, but I could never wear them decently in public!" and the "The smaller size fits well enough I wouldn't be embarassed to wear them in public!!" The first one is kinda of nice. It's like a little mini goal, but I look forward to the second just as much.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Some people have different mirrors? Or don't have them at all. I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes that are way too big & make me look bigger.

So do I, it drives my family crazy. But I can't stand clothes that "fit". My daughter gave me a blazer and it was so tight it made my shoulders hump, and it was up to my waist. She said it was a correct fit on me!

I don't know but he is so cute its ridiculous!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't know but he is so cute its ridiculous!!

It's a really fluffy Pomeranian puppy.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I wore too-small clothes when I was in denial about my weight gain. I wasn't ready to face that I was fat. Then, I wore stretchy clothes for a while. Finally, I ordered a whole new season's worth of new work clothes in "my size" and when they came literally nothing fit, like they were miniatures. For a hot minute, I considered that they sent me ALL mislabled/missized clothes. Then I realized I needed to get my *kitten* under control and joined MFP.

This.

I was in denial for a long time. Then I finally broke down and got some appropriately sized clothes. When I "outgrew" those, I figured it was time to stop saying, "someday I'll get rid of this weight" and get crackin'.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people think they look cute. They misinterpret rolls hanging out as curves.

Another problem is low rise jeans. I have a hard time finding jeans that come up to my proper waist. Thank God for long shirts.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    FLATTERING
    jeans_ines_sainz_display_image.jpg?1284738087

NOT SO MUCH
    3-7.jpg
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Gimme, gimmer moar.
    831.gif

Reminds me of the babe :glasses:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Gimme, gimmer moar.
    831.gif

:heart:
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes a bit too big on me because I don't want the world to see my flaws. I can wear a size large, and it would look fine, but I stick with the xl. When it gets too big then I will buy more clothes. I do need to go winter/fall clothes shopping so I hope to lose more weight before the fall starts.
    Same here! I really need new clothes, but will be rockin' the yoga pants and oversized maternity tops (4 kids in 10 years I have mostly maternity clothes, sad to say) until I can get into a 10!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eh, it sucks, and I do my best to wear clothes that aren't obscenely tight because that is clearly not comfortable. But I lost my job 6 months ago, and I can barely buy food, much less a "fat" wardrobe. I'm trying very hard to lose the weight so that I can wear my old clothes again. I don't need to be buying new clothes, my child needs to eat.

So...if you don't like what someone is wearing, look away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My "reaction" was not just to the OP but others as well...

Was it an over reation no.....people can where whatever they want and if society chooses to judge them that is disgusting.

There are many reason's people where cloths that are "too small" none of which anyone in public is privy to.

*shakes my head and reminds myself to stay the heck away from the forums*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My "reaction" was not just to the OP but others as well...

Was it an over reation no.....people can where whatever they want and if society chooses to judge them that is disgusting.

There are many reason's people where cloths that are "too small" none of which anyone in public is privy to.

*shakes my head and reminds myself to stay the heck away from the forums*

So judging others judging is okay and "not as bad"... especially when over-dramatizing the extent of said judging and declaring it THE MOST disgusting thread (when seriously, this is not). ....I see....

oreally.gif