Am I being rude by not going to dinner with my family?

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you if you should or should not go... or if you are being rude or not... rudeness is usually a perception based somewhat on tone...

However, the idea that Christians are "supposed" to eat meat is absurd. Pretty sure that Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were all vegetarians. At least for a time. Even though that is technically pre-Christ.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I have never had that much trouble going to any kind of restaurant......I feel like you are blowing this situation way out of proportion.

^ This
  • jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I have never had that much trouble going to any kind of restaurant......I feel like you are blowing this situation way out of proportion.

Completely agree.
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think if you called the place a few hours early you would find someone is there and will answer the phone. They usually start cooking earlier in the day and someone is there to take reservations for when they do open. You don't have to wait until 4:00 to call.

Also, I agree with one poster that said if someone starts questioning you to just say tonight is about Uncle --- and turn the conversation to him with a question.

Doesn't your family know you're a vegetarian? This can't be the first meal where you won't be eating meat or fish with them.

Being a grown up means sometimes doing what you don't feel like for the benefit of someone else.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    No offense. How long have you been a vegetarian? I was a veggie for 15 years. I never had an issue. If the place was nice enough to have freshly caught fish, they were always able to just make something for me. Even if it was a combo of sides. Even at a BBQ place I've been able to find something.

Its not awkward to call and ask them ahead of time. They probably appreciate it, and maybe they will put a vegetarian option on their menu in the future.

Of and on for the last 12 years. I've never had this particular problem before, either. I've gone to steakhouses, etc etc etc just fine and been able to find something without issue. This is less about the food than it is about my not wanting to have the attention on me or have the conversation that always (in my family, yes, it's always, because they are very hard-headed, one of the other uncles who is going tonight is an Evangelist who has his own show, and it's part of his profession to "bring people to the Lord". Religion and how we are supposed to live and act, which includes how we are to eat, is a regular topic of discussion and I do catch a lot of heat for the vegetarian / non-believer combo.) follows if I have to ask questions. They're aware of it, but they don't see me often, so whenever I am there, they love to go over it again and again.

This same uncle's ex-wife was a vegetarian when she married him and had been for 10 years. She lasted 3 years in our family before they badgered and guilt-tripped her into eating meat. I'm not blowing that out of proportion at all, I know it will happen, it does every time this particular thing comes up, and has for as long as I can remember. I just don't want to deal with it, and I don't want to risk sitting there with a dry salad because they put fish in the dressings, too.

As said, they don't open until 4, our reservation is at 4:15, and we have to leave at 3 to get there on time, so calling in advance and backing out if they say no isn't an option. I already tried calling once after posting this and got no answer.

ETA: I just told them I'm not going. It's not worth the trouble, and this way there'll most likely be a 30 second "Where's Cora?" "She couldn't make it" conversation, and then it'll be over. I'll just spend that time making her a hairstick like the one of mine she liked and be done with it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would just not go. You obviously feel very strongly that the evening will end poorly if you attend so it probably will.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    TL;DR. You are being rude. It is not about you. Suck it up buttercup.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

^^ agreed. my best friend is a vegetarian and still comes to dinner at any restaurant we choose and is easily able to find something to eat.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

I second this. Many restuarants are willing to accomodate, all you have to do is ASK. And if they aren't report them to Mystery Diners lol
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    This is your family. And it's probably going to be an important night for your family. Go to dinner with them, and stop making your uncle's big night all about your vegetarianism.

4597187+_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg
  • I am sure they can accommodate your dietary needs - you can perhaps just have a side salad - I wouldn't miss time with my family - and if the subject about "God says _____ ..." then you simply say, I respect that and I respect your opinion about it - however, he also gave us freedom of choice.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Read the ops reply.. Just eat a sandwich before you go. That way you can just kinda fake eat and not cause any issues. (if they don't have anything for you).
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a selfish brat, yes.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It's your family. Your family. That's important. Go. There is something at the restaurant to eat.

I understand it may be an awkward situation, but do your best.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    So.. they knew for weeks and only told you today? Or did you just found out the restaurant today?

Call and ask or just go. I have never been to a place for food that doesn't have some kind of non-meat food. you are not the only vegetarian/vegan on the earth or probably in your area, my guess is they have something.

If you just found out today, a simple "I can't make it today, I wish I had known sooner or I wouldn't have made plans" will suffice.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a selfish brat, yes.

Just eat the fish!
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think you are looking for reasons not to go (awkward conversation about your dietary choices, last minute invite, you were an after-thought invite, you already have plans etc.). There are many for you to choose from. But being a vegetarian and this being a fish place is not a good one IMO.

I've been a vegetarian for over 15 years and while I eat fish (we can discuss the semantics of vegetarian and pescatarian labels etc. another time), I often don't eat fish and do go out to all sorts of restaurants. There is always an option. Always.
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    eat before you go and have a glass of wine. i often go out to eat and don't actually eat anything. i'll drink my dinner, have a coffee, or dessert.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I also agree that you are making too much of it. Eat before hand and nibble some bread and sip a drink at the restaurant .
  • acahane
    acahane Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are not accountable for actions or feeling of others. They get to choose how they act and how they feel. If you go and ask for vegi stuff and they dont have it, just say oh sorry I can't order anything. If your family make a big deal, just politely explain. If they carry on. Tell them to drop it as it's a night that not about you and you think you should all just enjoy each others company. If they still carry on you will have to be firmer with them.

Some people think it's their right to force their opion down your throat for all sorts of reasons. One of the most common is "I am your mother/father and you have to listen to me" LMAO. Where is that written...the human being rule book? Do what you want, be who you are and never have anyone dictate who you can be.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Family is overrated. Never put family before your ethics. If they don't tolerate you, don't tolerate them.

(Related to similar christian obnoxiousness)