Am I being rude by not going to dinner with my family?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I think it was just a dumbass person on the phone. You tried to be nice, but you should have told him pescatarian =/= vegeterian.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am confused about your family's statements. I am a Christian and although I CAN eat meat it is perfectly acceptable for me not to eat meat if I don't want to. I don't know of any place in the Bible that says thou must eat meat.

I was thinking the same thing. I eat meat and am a Christian, however I know there is nothing in the Bible that suggests you have to eat meat. Nor is there anything that says I shouldn't. it doesn't mean anything either way spiritually. But that's not the point. Even if the Bible said I was supposed to eat meat, that doesn't mean I should tell you to, because it means nothing to you. I am not holding you submit to my standards, and I feel your family should be mindful of that concept.

I think you and your family have an opportunity to understand each other better. They may have dropped the ball here, but you could still go and make the best of it.

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. - Genesis 9:3

And the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, These are the living things that you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth. Whatever parts the hoof and is cloven-footed and chews the cud, among the animals, you may eat. Nevertheless, among those that chew the cud or part the hoof, you shall not eat these: The camel, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. And the rock badger, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. ... - from Leviticus are two of the ones, as well as others that they like to reference.

As I'm sure you know, there are many, many, many denominations of Christianity, all of which believe slightly to drastically different things. You may interpret these verses differently from how he does. He interprets them as God wouldn't bother telling us that he provided animals for us to eat nor would he go through the trouble of explaining which are clean to eat and in which conditions if we weren't supposed to eat them, and that's essentially how he presents that in his sermons. It's a bit more complicated than that, of course, but that's the gist of it.

But again, these are things you may eat, not you must eat. It is forbidding certain types of meat, not telling you that you must eat the others. Secondly, this is old testament and in the new testament it says that nothing provided by God is unclean, so it doesn't really apply here.

I could understand the argument if they were saying you couldn't have something you were eating, but I don't know of anything that says you must eat something (unless you are talking about the host for Catholics receiving communion,)

For the future maybe you can find a couple of verses in the new testament to use to shut down the argument. Or go all of the way back to the garden of Eden and show that they ate the fruits from every tree and (supposedly) didn't eat meat.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a non-issue, really... other than to make an excuse to feel righteous indignation about being a vegetarian in an omnivore world even though the OP swears that's not the case. But, whatev.

Also, I could go for some good crab cake sandwiches and hush puppies right about now.

PB0111_Jumbo-Lump-Crab-Cake-Sandwich_lg.jpg
    mississippi-hush-puppies-l.jpg?400:400
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What? I was a veggie for about 4 years, and frankly this is ridiculous. Fish is not poisonous and it does not violate her religious beliefs. If you don't want to be involved in the purchase of an animal because it goes against your ethics, I totally get that. But being afraid of well-cooked animal material sitting next to your food is orthorexia.

Some members of OP's extended family sound like a huge PITA. There's always the option to quietly opt out of any occasions requiring their presence. (Aside from weddings and funerals.) There's also the option to not so quietly opt out of their presence for the foreseeable future, including weddings and funerals, if need be. But it would be obnoxious to do that today.

You sound like a right pain, and a drama queen. You say you don't want the night to be about you but its already all about you, isn't it! Making a drama about not going is making it about you. Show some manners and go, order a fish dish , eat the sides and leave the fish with absolutely no comment to anyone.
    if you are going to make a stand on food choices like this you need to find a way to still have some manners and social skills!!!!

I can see you are not, nor have ever been a vegetarian. A true veggie cannot have meat or fish touch their own food.

Watch a veggie at a BBQ and see how they fare for instance. It isn't a matter of just leaving the animal on the plate and not saying anything, the problem comes when the animal has touched the veg, rice, potatoes, fruit etc.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am confused about your family's statements. I am a Christian and although I CAN eat meat it is perfectly acceptable for me not to eat meat if I don't want to. I don't know of any place in the Bible that says thou must eat meat.

I was thinking the same thing. I eat meat and am a Christian, however I know there is nothing in the Bible that suggests you have to eat meat. Nor is there anything that says I shouldn't. it doesn't mean anything either way spiritually. But that's not the point. Even if the Bible said I was supposed to eat meat, that doesn't mean I should tell you to, because it means nothing to you. I am not holding you submit to my standards, and I feel your family should be mindful of that concept.

I think you and your family have an opportunity to understand each other better. They may have dropped the ball here, but you could still go and make the best of it.

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. - Genesis 9:3

And the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, These are the living things that you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth. Whatever parts the hoof and is cloven-footed and chews the cud, among the animals, you may eat. Nevertheless, among those that chew the cud or part the hoof, you shall not eat these: The camel, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. And the rock badger, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. ... - from Leviticus are two of the ones, as well as others that they like to reference.

As I'm sure you know, there are many, many, many denominations of Christianity, all of which believe slightly to drastically different things. You may interpret these verses differently from how he does. He interprets them as God wouldn't bother telling us that he provided animals for us to eat nor would he go through the trouble of explaining which are clean to eat and in which conditions if we weren't supposed to eat them, and that's essentially how he presents that in his sermons. It's a bit more complicated than that, of course, but that's the gist of it.

That's not saying you must eat meat, it's saying it's ok to eat meat if you want to.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Your "uncle's girlfriend's dad"? That's a pretty attenuated relationship. I wouldn't worry about not going, especially since they gave you no notice. I assume you can meet him later.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness
    You procrastinated by not making a decision for the whole morning, you sound like you resent their not inviting you a few weeks ago and you sound rather stubborn and sullen so....

If you hate your family and don't want to spend time with them, fine. You may regret that one day but it's up to you.

But this is not about whether the stupid fish place has any french fries or salad or vegetarian friendly options.

I initially did make my decision immediately. When my grandfather asked me if I wanted to go, I immediately said "No thanks, it's cool, I'll just find something here," and I hoped everyone would drop it and move on with their day. The no was emotionless and simple. It was only later, after he'd spent the majority of the morning telling me I was being rude for not going, asking me repeatedly why I wasn't going, and pestering me about it that I kind of caved and thought "maybe I should see what they have to offer." I then looked, and couldn't find anything, so I said again "I'd really rather not. Don't worry about it, I'll be fine. I've been looking forward to some alone time. You lot go and have fun," and I meant it. There was no malice behind it. It was straight forward and to the point, but my grandfather and uncle wouldn't just let it die. He (my grandfather) doesn't like that I don't eat meat. He thinks I'm overly picky, and I don't see why he cares what I do and don't eat. He doesn't have to share my meals, nor does he purchase them. My eating this way actually saves him money, and I wish he'd just give it a rest and not huff and roll his eyes when we're all out and I order a veggie patty or something as if asking for a veggie patty is putting the cook out or something to do.

And it's a pretty ridiculous assertion that I hate my family. If I did, I wouldn't be worrying so much that they might perceive my not going as being rude.
  • DoreenCooper63
    DoreenCooper63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At first, I thought you were being silly. Of course you can eat the sides, of course a restaurant can accommodate the needs of a veggie.

But then I read your next update and I realized this isn't *really* about being a veggie, it's about not wanting to spend time with people who you are related to, but who make you feel uncomfortable.

So, my advice is:

Don't go. Don't spend time with anyone who makes you feel bad about yourself and is rude to you. DNA doesn't trump self-dignity. There a whole bunch of people with whom I share DNA, but that make me feel bad. They don't get ANY of my time.

Life is short.
    Don't waste it by doing stuff you don't want to do, with people who make you feel bad, whether you are related to them or not.

^^ THIS ^^
    I roll with some vegans - we somehow manage to get through a meal in public without drama. But if I were facing not only badgering about my dietary choices but my spirituality and the sheer RUDENESS of being invited as an afterthought? Hun, you get a pass from me. You can meet 'em at the wedding.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    That's not saying you must eat meat, it's saying it's ok to eat meat if you want to.

That's not how he interprets it, and I'm not a Christian, so I don't really have a personal interpretation, myself.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The way of the 16-year-old: "Sorry, I already ate. I'll just have a coffee. Doesn't <uncle's girlfriend-or-better> look lovely today?"
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian and here's what I would do:

1. Eat something before you go, but leave a little room just in case they actually do have food that doesn't have fish in it. You might get there and discover their menu has stuff you can eat. If so, you can order something and all is well.

2. I'd be dying of curiosity to see their secretive menu. Ask the wait person: "So what do you have that a pure vegetarian can eat?" If they come back with "Vegetarians can eat fish" look them right in the eye and repeat, "So what do you have that a pure vegetarian can eat?" Repeat as many times as necessary until they admit they have nothing.. If they don't have ANYTHING, I'd pull out the righteous indignation card and play it, "What? You've got nothing on the menu for a vegetarian?" Pull out your phone and take pictures of their menu. When you get home, go back to the restaurant review sites you visited doing your initial research and post your findings.

3. If you start getting the third degree from the preachers about not eating meat, if you feel up to it, ask them why God forbade pre-Noahic humanity from eating meat. Variation on this theme: Explain (humorously, as your preacher friends know better) that you are going back to the simplicity of Genesis and the garden of Eden and only eat vegetables. (I can't see them haranguing you about that!)

4. If they absolutely don't have ANYTHING without fish in it, have a dessert. No way do they have fish in desserts. If they have fish in all their desserts, play the righteous indignation card again.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Uncle's girlfriend's Dad? Nah if it was like a long lost family member than yes, but who is this person to you. I still think you would have options, but dont see the importance of the dinner.

Oops didnt read the proposal part...yeah you better go eat before dinner and then just get a house salad. No meat or cheese. Oil/vinegar dressing.
  • CoozyRoo
    CoozyRoo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Go and jokingly order the camel and rock badger stew loud enough for your uncle to hear. They won't care what you really order after that one.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Not rude just selfish, its about the time you spend with your family they WUV yooooo........

I usually go when the family gets together. Everyone involved, save for the gf's dad, was there last week when we all went to lunch. It wasn't a problem, and we went to a steakhouse. I didn't create a topic about that because it wasn't a problem then in those circumstances.

If I'd known that all this was going to happen today, I would've just called in to work and asked them if they needed an extra hand so I could have a legit and graceful excuse not to go - "sorry, have to work."
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude to turn them down. And, as someone with a gluten and soy intolerance, I know what a pain it is to go to a restaurant and ask a bunch of annoying questions about food preparation and ingredients.

And it's very unpleasant to sit at a table of people eating around you and not eat yourself. Even if there's a reason for it, it sets that person apart from the rest of the group.
    Family is overrated. Never put family before your ethics. If they don't tolerate you, don't tolerate them.

(Related to similar christian obnoxiousness)

To TurnipTorado: So it's okay to stop tolerating the intolerant, right? What exactly is intolerance anyway? Are you confusing it with disapproval? Judgment? Relationships are teeming with disapproval and judgement by the way, and also arguments, and the need for compromise, understanding, and to better ourselves. I don't know you all that well, but your ethics may be an excuse to be petulant and rebellious against those who want the best for you. You don't have to agree with them, but you should show them respect.

If you come from an abusive family, I support your need to get away from them. If you come from a family that sometimes offends you, you are luckier than you think. Living in the absence of judgement or expectations is a lot lonelier than people realize.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I'm a Christian and here's what I would do:

1. Eat something before you go, but leave a little room just in case they actually do have food that doesn't have fish in it. You might get there and discover their menu has stuff you can eat. If so, you can order something and all is well.

2. I'd be dying of curiosity to see their secretive menu. Ask the wait person: "So what do you have that a pure vegetarian can eat?" If they come back with "Vegetarians can eat fish" look them right in the eye and repeat, "So what do you have that a pure vegetarian can eat?" Repeat as many times as necessary until they admit they have nothing.. If they don't have ANYTHING, I'd pull out the righteous indignation card and play it, "What? You've got nothing on the menu for a vegetarian?" Pull out your phone and take pictures of their menu. When you get home, go back to the restaurant review sites you visited doing your initial research and post your findings.

3. If you start getting the third degree from the preachers about not eating meat, if you feel up to it, ask them why God forbade pre-Noahic humanity from eating meat. Variation on this theme: Explain (humorously, as your preacher friends know better) that you are going back to the simplicity of Genesis and the garden of Eden and only eat vegetables. (I can't see them haranguing you about that!)

4. If they absolutely don't have ANYTHING without fish in it, have a dessert. No way do they have fish in desserts. If they have fish in all their desserts, play the righteous indignation card again.

lol I've said similar things to 3 before, actually.

ETA: They just left, I didn't go.

I'm staying in and making a hairstick for her like the one of mine she liked and borrowed, but wished was a different colour to match a certain dress she has, and making it in red, like she wished mine had been.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    So... Is dinner over yet? And this is now a non-issue?
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I don't find it rude. You are a 24 year old adult. Do what you feel like you need to do.

THIS! if they REALLY wanted you to go they would have made it so you could eat. (or at least thats what my family does when we go out)
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    So... Is dinner over yet? And this is now a non-issue?

I won't know if my grandfather's still upset with me until tonight or tomorrow morning... And they're not at the restaurant yet, the reservation's not for another half hour, they may or may not all come back here after dinner, so only time will tell.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    What on earth you do not have to eat meat to be a christian -.- thats ridiculous just go and order steamed veggies if you seriously dont want to deal with the headache then grow a pair and tell your family why you dont want to goz