Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• janieardine
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This is clearly a troll thread. I thank you all because I was bored, but now I'm entertained.......
  • volume77
    Options
    I agree completely with your post. It was even worse a year ago when I first started. There was a very large group of people who had taken on the mission of berating anyone and everyone who even mentioned eating at the 1200 level, no matter what their age, height, body composition, activity level, etc. They were actually extremely rude and aggressive about it.
    Most of those people never lost their weight and many have now deactivated their accounts. Many of them realized that they couldn't eat as many calories as they thought they could, and ended up lowering them. Many got tired of spending every day in the gym, killing themself so they could eat what they wanted, and either quit, or lowered their cals and activity.

I was here a year ago and I actively participated in threads of people looking for help/advice because they were struggling at their MFP-imposed 1200 calorie limit. However, I have no idea this "very large group of people" to which you are referring. I also find it very interesting how you know so much about those people and their reasons for not reaching their goals.

So I would love to know more. Perhaps you could provide names of a few of them to refresh my memory. Maybe also provide a few stories about those who failed to reach their goals. Since their accounts are deactivated, I can't imagine you'd get in any trouble for sharing their now-deactivated names.

lol
  • volume77
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

obviously this is your first time in the forums LOL
  • bethanyfranco1
    Options
    First of all I am new, hello to all...I am supposed to be eating at 1200 calories a day. I have seen these posts going on and on about it about eating too little and who eats more than that, who is starving themselves etc..., WHO CARES? Let people do what they want, eat a little eat over, whatever, it is boring and there should probably be a more productive discussion going on. I started this and I realized after today and actually seeing the calories, fat content, sodium etc and I could not believe what I was doing.It really opened my eyes actually looking at it, and on top of not exercising, NO WONDER I am 217 pounds at the moment and 4'8''. I realistically according to many websites and things should really be around 100 pounds. I could really use some advice on how I can help my body learn to only take in 1200 calories and be fine with it because I feel I would be hungry all the time. I really want to lose some weight and would really like to get some motiviation. I need some new buddies to help with that...anyone willing ??:)

Protein helps me feel full. Egg whites have 16 calories each and 4g of protein. I also eat tuna, tilapia, and cottage cheese for the protein. Oatmeal seems to help me too, and I was surprised when I learned it also has protein. Some people say the protein making you feel fuller thing is a myth, but it seems to work for me most days and I'm on a 1200-1300 cal diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Didn't read more than the first couple posts, but just had to point out, a 400 calorie deficit from 1700 is 1300, not 1000. Math, it's not hard.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many of these comments are grounds for reporting. Go ahead and have a difference of opinion over whether 1200 is enough (not that you should care what someone else eats though) but saying things like "Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science" and "Chill out lady and have some pizza. Sounds like you could use a few slices" is attacking and insulting her and -- guess what -- that's against the TOS.

Differing views on how many calories are enough for a person are not grounds for insults. You all KNOW that every body has different calorie needs so just because 1200 would send YOUR body into starvation mode does not mean it will do that for everyone. Get off your high horses.

Interesting.

I'm surprised your post attacking other users like that is still on this thread over twelve hours later. Perhaps others just overlooked it initially and didn't report it...

And I thought this site was strictly for motivations and supports.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Didn't read more than the first couple posts, but just had to point out, a 400 calorie deficit from 1700 is 1300, not 1000. Math, it's not hard.

Reading is not hard either. I said 1600-1700 and I eat 1200 (give or take a little). 1600-1200=400. Never said 1000.

I will not post anymore because clearly most of you are too worried about stating 1200 is wrong or saying that you eat 1200 and that is not wrong, instead of talking about the point of the topic which was people should read the topics before commenting
  • janieardine
    Options
    :happy:
  • janieardine
    Options

obviously this is your first time in the forums LOL

No but point taken! lol
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Most people that "get this speech" are those complaining 1200 isn't working for them. So you'd rather they cut their calories lower and lower until they just don't eat at all versus someone providing an alternative of upping their calories because a majority of people (most who did the 1200 to start) understand where someone is going wrong?

Not at all. I would like people to read the topics before giving the speech because it does not always apply ;)

I get you, OP. Usually the people who flame you for eating 1200 calories are 25 year old MEN. And they think everyone should eat like they do. I wish I had the metabolism of, say, my 21 year old son, but that's not gonna happen.

You and I must be seeing entirely different "1200 calorie" threads because this hasn't been my observation at all...

...but I suspect we also disagree on what constitutes a "flame" in these discussions.
  • Xalanii
    Xalanii Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My normal no real exercising recommended calorie intake is 1300-1400 to stay the same weight I am now.

Even with 2-3hours of cardio my recommended calorie intake is 1800-2000. People really need to understand what age, weight, height, and sex has to do with metabolism.
  • misssixty60
    Options
    ALL CALORIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL! You can eat enough on 1200 calories if your food is primarily vegetables. It can be filling and healthy so I've read!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Reading is not hard either. I said 1600-1700 and I eat 1200 (give or take a little). 1600-1200=400. Never said 1000.

I will not post anymore because clearly most of you are too worried about stating 1200 is wrong or saying that you eat 1200 and that is not wrong, instead of talking about the point of the topic which was people should read the topics before commenting

I sincerely do not understand this type of reaction...and I see it a lot here. It isn't as if the collective membership base of MFP have unanimously came out in opposition to your post. In fact, having just now caught up all the way through it, I'd say you had a great deal of support...

...and yet, you're willing to stop participating in the discussion (*and all future discussions) because you dislike everyone's inability to narrowly stick to the topic as you believe you have established it? Honestly, I'm dumbfounded.

Edit: for clarity...and to say that I may have misunderstood this* point.
  • davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you eat whole foods and not processed junk you will be fuller. Oatmeal, tuna, baked chicken breast, baked salmon, fresh broccoli without cheese.. things like that. What helps some people is eating healthy food 6 days of the week and then having one "free day" to eat whatever you want. That gives you something to look forward to, and those extra calories averaged into a week aren't as big a deal.

For me, working out hard is the biggest motivator to my diet, if I lift weights hard I look at junk food and say.. no way I'm putting that into my body, I sweated too much to not give my body real food.

Don't buy the pre-sweetened oatmeal, it has way too many calories. Cook regular oatmeal and then you can add your own sweetner. I use "Sugar in the raw" or honey. Sugar in the raw is real sugar that hasn't been over processed like white flour. Sometimes I use Stevia also, it is a sweetner from a plant, it hasn't been found to be bad for you like the other fake sugars.

What started me really working out correctly and eating better in the first place was the book "Body for Life" You can always find it cheap at half price books. The diet section in the book gives good information on what to eat. It really is impossible to fill up on chips and soda and not get too many calories. There are good workout tips also. It is an easy read.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ALL CALORIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL! You can eat enough on 1200 calories if your food is primarily vegetables. It can be filling and healthy so I've read!

How would I get 120 gram of protein and 50 grams of fat if my diet is 1200 and mostly veggies? That's 900+ calories just to make my minimum fat and protein intake. The diet you suggest would leave me unable to hit my macros, not to mention hungry.
  • davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think some people think they know it all, and some are really just trying to help. :)
  • kellesee
    kellesee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

Perfect English ! Good job :-)