Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Someone asked a question and it just threw my reply in the middle of nowhere.. this site makes no sense.
  • w0ndrw0mn1
    Options
    If what you are doing works for you, why bother posting about what other people say about it? They aren't you. Why waste your time and ours?
  • davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Heck, my goal is 1480 calories and I am a grown hulk of a man!!

Seriously I am 5'7" and 1480 is a 500 deficit for me, it keeps me losing 1 pound a week. From 173 to the 157 I am now.

I can easily see how a female smaller than I am could eat only 1200 calories and it be a 500 calorie deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing works for you, why bother posting about what other people say about it? They aren't you. Why waste your time and ours?

She probably thinks she's doing it for the benefit of others on the site...

...which is interesting, if you think about it, since that's probably what 99.44% of those warning against the potential dangers of the approach are doing when they post too.

I guess we really are all here for the same reason...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

It's a fitness site, not a support group.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Someone asked a question and it just threw my reply in the middle of nowhere.. this site makes no sense.

You have to press the quote button below a post, not the reply button. That might be the issue.
  • WxLLe
    WxLLe Posts: 11
    Options
    Honestly I'd have to disagree. The 1200 calorie diet is not the way to go. You can really harm your body by losing vitamins that you need on a daily basis. To learn the truth on losing weight you should try Smack Fat! Check them out here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smack-Fat/632563173443693. It's a far safer route than doing the 1200 diet BY FAR.
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

Ok, I have read every page of this post and hardly any of you seem to get her point. It has upset me to the point that I did report one person because they offered no opinion, they were just blatantly rude, disrespectful and out of line. And I'm sorry to say, most of these responses were. If you read the OP, she does tell you what her TREE is and what she usually eats. But not once do I recall her asking for advice. She is simply asking for people to really read posts before jumping on the starvation mode speech. Some people do have dietary restrictions, some drs restrictions, and some people really can't eat 1500eggs calories a day. We are all here for the same reason, so can't we all respect that literally EVERY BODY is different and try to support each other without being cruel and sarcastic?

And btw, this post isn't stupid and she's not just looking for attention. She's trying to find a way to help those that are being attacked on here.

If you like what I've said and agree, I'm glad. If you don't, please have the decency to not verbally attack me like has been going on so much here already. This is supposed to be a supportive community.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Didn't read more than the first couple posts, but just had to point out, a 400 calorie deficit from 1700 is 1300, not 1000. Math, it's not hard.

Reading is not hard either. I said 1600-1700 and I eat 1200 (give or take a little). 1600-1200=400. Never said 1000.

I will not post anymore because clearly most of you are too worried about stating 1200 is wrong or saying that you eat 1200 and that is not wrong, instead of talking about the point of the topic which was people should read the topics before commenting
    Actually, you said 1100-1200, and 1600-1700. It's right in your first post. 1700-1100=600 not 400. You can't just ignore half of what you said, that's called cherry picking and ruins your crdibility. If you're going to give a range, you must own the entire range, not try to minimize it to make you look better. You also said 1700 in a later post where you stated the deficit was 400, so does that mean you actually eat 1300 calories?
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think 'take it steady' your current weight will dictate the calories you burn at rest on a day to day basis. Eating at a deficit will probably mean more food now than it will as you SLOWLY achieve your goals. As you become lighter - you will reduce your food intake. 1200 calories at this stage may feel quite extreme to you - I do believe that those who go in at 1200 a day struggle as the adjustment is so great, hence they feel like they are on a 'diet' so the minute they slip off the wagon - boy do they slip. If you set your goal to 1lb a week, invest in a HRM and work out what you burn at rest then take it from there. You will reduce the food your body needs over time, but you are not shocking your body into anything and before you know it you have a complete lifestyle change, rather than a 'diet'. Patience is the key! this is coming from someone who has only in the last few months 'got it'. My lifestyle adjustments are genuine adjustments! I have still eaten everything I want to eat just in moderation - I get out and do my exercise and I still have treats! in fact I keep chocolate in the fridge for the first time in my life so that after a heavy session training I can have a mini bar without worrying about undoing anything! its just part of my day! Good luck - seriously - be patient and keep busy! the latter makes the former easier!
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all I am new, hello to all...I am supposed to be eating at 1200 calories a day. I have seen these posts going on and on about it about eating too little and who eats more than that, who is starving themselves etc..., WHO CARES? Let people do what they want, eat a little eat over, whatever, it is boring and there should probably be a more productive discussion going on. I started this and I realized after today and actually seeing the calories, fat content, sodium etc and I could not believe what I was doing.It really opened my eyes actually looking at it, and on top of not exercising, NO WONDER I am 217 pounds at the moment and 4'8''. I realistically according to many websites and things should really be around 100 pounds. I could really use some advice on how I can help my body learn to only take in 1200 calories and be fine with it because I feel I would be hungry all the time. I really want to lose some weight and would really like to get some motiviation. I need some new buddies to help with that...anyone willing ??:)

Sorry - I hit reply instead of 'quote' this response is yours! ;-)

I think 'take it steady' your current weight will dictate the calories you burn at rest on a day to day basis. Eating at a deficit will probably mean more food now than it will as you SLOWLY achieve your goals. As you become lighter - you will reduce your food intake. 1200 calories at this stage may feel quite extreme to you - I do believe that those who go in at 1200 a day struggle as the adjustment is so great, hence they feel like they are on a 'diet' so the minute they slip off the wagon - boy do they slip. If you set your goal to 1lb a week, invest in a HRM and work out what you burn at rest then take it from there. You will reduce the food your body needs over time, but you are not shocking your body into anything and before you know it you have a complete lifestyle change, rather than a 'diet'. Patience is the key! this is coming from someone who has only in the last few months 'got it'. My lifestyle adjustments are genuine adjustments! I have still eaten everything I want to eat just in moderation - I get out and do my exercise and I still have treats! in fact I keep chocolate in the fridge for the first time in my life so that after a heavy session training I can have a mini bar without worrying about undoing anything! its just part of my day! Good luck - seriously - be patient and keep busy! the latter makes the former easier!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... here's the deal...

For most of the population, 1200 calories a day is dangerously close to malnourishment. Malnourishment triggers a hormonal response that is a mechanism to defend against starvation, which is why it is referred to as "starvation mode", but you really don't have to be anywhere near starving to reach it.

It's not hate to tell someone that their method is not effective. Sure, they can choose to do whatever they want, but just because they choose it, doesn't change the facts. Sooner or later, they will become malnourished and their body will release hormones to avoid the potential damage of starvation.

What you are saying is absolutely not true. The problem in some of the developed countries is that many people are very well fed, but are malnourished. There is a very big difference. It is more than possible to be well nourished on 1200 calories, just like it is possible to be malnourished on three times as much. The UN as well as WHO ( for which I work ) considers " very low cal " 800 calories and " starvation " from 700 calories down wards.
    Only in the US and more specifically here in MFP are 1200 calories considered " starvation mode ". In many countries of this planet the daily average calories are way lower than in the US. In case you wonder,
    I base my knowledge on 35 years of directly working in Humanitarian Aid, developing food plans based on ( among other things ) a Masters in Nutritional Science, Policy making and Humanitarian Aid from Tufts University. I don't want to brag with this, but since people are always asking why people think they can say certain things, I figured I just mention that I am qualified. Maybe not so much for the " the more you eat the more you lose " crowd....but definitely as far as average people are concerned.

I'm pretty sure I specified that there is a big difference between what is called "starvation mode" and what actual starvation is.

Maybe I didn't word myself clearly. The fact of the matter is that nothing I said is not true or scientifically-based. If you eat at too deep of a calorie deficit for too long (and for most people 1200 calorie diet creates too deep of a calorie deficit), the body will release cortisol and grehlin in an effort to keep you from starving yourself. One could argue that these aren't mechanisms to prevent starvation, but that is the presumed purpose of these mechanisms. Simply saying that you can starve on far less food than 1200 calories does not change the fact that long-term weight loss at 1200 calories for most people will lead to a release of cortisol and grehlin.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am tired of hearing about people allowing thier bodies to be undernourished. But, I am not a hater. Just do what you want and keep it to yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

Hmmm....is it being supportive to tell someone, "Way to go on destroying your body's metabolic functions! Woot!"
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

Here Here :drinker: starvation mode gets thrown around too much, without knowing the person's TDEE etc and as long as you're eating good foods and getting the right nutrients and listening to what your body needs then what's the issue?
  • Nislosing
    Nislosing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate, I agree! I am 27 and 5'2". I gained 25lbs and have tried for so long (2 years actually) to lose the weight and I have lost 14lbs so far, in the last 2 months, just by counting calories--granted I eat pretty healthy and workout MAYBE 3x a week. I eat between 1000-1200 and am perfectly happy and full. I get to have whatever I want, if I desire it, which is nice...If I feel like having a serving of chips, a beer or a piece of pizza certain days, I do. Also, I am no longer scared of carbs! I read an article a week ago saying that a woman under 165lbs can safely eat 1000-1200 cals a day and lose weight. My metabolism is on fire and has picked up since starting to calorie count. Once I am at my goal weight, I plan to eat around 1400-1700 to maintain, depending on my activity level. Since I have started this, I have seen weight loss everyday and am well on my way to my goal. I am happy and feel great!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    1200cals is not enough . Come challenge me at this one :wink:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Oh ya one more thing

1200cals is not enough
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    I barely ever get to 1200 calories a day and im never hungry I feel like I have to force myself to eat that much... it depends on the person :)