How big of an age gap do you have between you and your S.O.?

Options

Replies

• caribear
    caribear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be 29 and my husband of 5 years will be 38 this year :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    age is just a number. considering most guys our age(in our 20's) are so immature anyways. And as it was said here many times it matters how he treats you. I personally dont care for older men as my boyfriend is just a little over two years younger than me(but he is mature at 25, Im 27)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 months older than my husband. He should respect his elders!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my boyfriend teases me about our small age difference by saying im a senior citizen!!!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    My wife is 8 years younger than I am.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think, so far, in this thread, that I win...my husband is 19 years older than I am. I was just turning 22 when we met, and he was 42, but I thought he was *MAYBE* about 30-32 because he looked so good.

We have been together for 12 years, we're extremely happy and crazy for each other, and I love looking at his hot, in-shape, muscular 53-year old body. (What a rude assumption someone made that older men are unattractive:noway: ).

He already had kids when we met, and I didn't want to add any more, so I am the happy stepmom to his kids, and I have no need or desire to make any more children. Since having kids is an age-sensitive topic, it is one that should be discussed and agreed upon, if you see the relationship becoming serious. If I had been the sort of woman who just had to give birth, our relationship would never have worked...he was done with having children and didn't want more (5 is enough!) and luckily, he found me. Compatibility and communication are key here.

Communication, respect and mutual dedication to the relationship are far more important than your respective DOB. IMHO.

But we have had comments, rude folks who say rude things. (shrugs) I don't care to worry about what they think. I feel like the luckiest wife on earth. THAT'S what is important!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    IBut we have had comments, rude folks who say rude things. (shrugs) I don't care to worry about what they think. I feel like the luckiest wife on earth. THAT'S what is important!

Screw 'em.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    LOL Road Dog, you crack me up!

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment!
  • italianabambina
    italianabambina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 years younger than my bf. It's not so much of a big deal now (frankly, there are times when he acts younger than me!) but his buddies LOVE to joke around that when he was in high school, I was like 8 years old. LOL
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    when my husband married his first wife, I was eight years old LOL

I graduated high school in the same year as his fifth child was born LOL

doesn't matter a lick!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my boyfriend was almost 16 when I was born...that took a while for me to digest but never because it made me uncomfortable, just because it's kind of unbelievable, considering how well we mesh together! haha. It just is what it is.
  • rockinright
    Options
    4 years between my wife and I, and I'm the younger one.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    My husband is 17 years older, we met when I was 18 and he was 35 and we have been together ever since ( 25 years and counting, and two kids later). I couldn't give a rat's *kitten* what anybody else thought when we started dating, plus he had been married twice before, no kids. There were wagers as to whether we would last. We have seen many of our friends who are close in age who are no longer together...so there are never any guarantees when it comes to relationships. If you enjoy each others company, can communicate, have mutual respect for one another, and are compatable, age should not be an issue. In the beginning, it was fun when people mistaked us for father and daughter, it was way more embarrassing for them than for us :wink:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband is eight years older than I am. When we started dating, I was 19....and a fairly immature 19. But, over the last 20 years, the time we've spent together has mattered WAY more than the age gap. Our kids are 8 and, while I'd be willing to try for another, he's not so sure he's up for the sleepless nights at almost 50....

There was definitely resistance from friends (his thought he was too old for me) and family (mine agreed with his friends), but we're still fairly steady, and we've outlasted my dad and stepmother (16 year gap) and my mom & stepfather (10 year gap, though, to be fair, she did die...)
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, my wife is 25.
  • donya35
    donya35 Posts: 166
    Options
    My Hubby is 31 and I'm 25.
  • KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    wells alot of people may critisize but you just got to do what your heart tells you. : ] im 18 and my lover is 32 and its probably the best relationship ive ever been in and id never trade him ; p
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't date and I've never been in a relationship [asexual here] but my sister is 40 and her husband is 69 [he's 1 year older than our father]. They've been married for 19 years this year.

They don't have children together. He has 3 -- 2 from a previous marriage and 1 from a previous gf. My sister's never wanted children so it works for her. His children are grown with families of their own and everyone gets along - including with the ex wife!

They're happy together. They own their own business and work together every single day. I don't know how they do it, but whatever they're doing, it's working for them.

Everyone always asks if he has money. He'll be the first to tell everyone that she makes more than he does.

He may be 69 but I swear the man acts like he's 10!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I am 53 going on 17 :wink: And I have no plans to grow up ever!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was just curious what the difference is in age between you and your significant other. I am trying to decide how old is too old for me. I am a 25 y/o girl who has been dating a 37 y/o man. That is quite a gap in age. Of course, I will still do what I think is best, but is that big of an age gap gross to you?

Please tell me your opinion. I have never dated that much older. He is single with no kids. What do you think?

Currently, 4 1/2 years, but I've dated up to 15 years older and it worked out well. Age is not the reason we're not together now.