What do you consider your "maintenance" weight?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you try to maintain your weight at one specific number?
    Do you give yourself a little leeway taking into account different variables that can affect weight?
    And if so, how much? A pound? Two? Five? More?

It's pretty much impossible to maintain on specific number...your body weight isn't static...you're always going to have natural fluctuations. Most people can fluctuate easily 2-5 Lbs day to day. If I'm being really good and watching my salt intake and maintaining a high potassium intake, I can keep it in the +/- 2 Lbs range...if I have a night out at the ball park or something eating hotdogs and nachos with fake cheese (yum) I can easily be up 3, 4, and even 5 Lbs the next day due to water bloat...it's gone within a matter of days. I also can put on a good 3-5 Lbs when I do a good carb load before a race..again, it's all water and glycogen, not fat and my stores get pretty much depleted after the race...which is why I then need beer.

I basically give myself a couple pounds leeway either way but I also don't freak out if I wake up one morning 3-5 Lbs heavier than the previous day because I know and understand the science here and understand and know that it is mathematically impossible to actually gain 3-5 Lbs of fat over night.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Do you try to maintain your weight at one specific number?
    Do you give yourself a little leeway taking into account different variables that can affect weight?
    And if so, how much? A pound? Two? Five? More?

It's pretty much impossible to maintain on specific number...your body weight isn't static...you're always going to have natural fluctuations. Most people can fluctuate easily 2-5 Lbs day to day. If I'm being really good and watching my salt intake and maintaining a high potassium intake, I can keep it in the +/- 2 Lbs range...if I have a night out at the ball park or something eating hotdogs and nachos with fake cheese (yum) I can easily be up 3, 4, and even 5 Lbs the next day due to water bloat...it's gone within a matter of days. I also can put on a good 3-5 Lbs when I do a good carb load before a race..again, it's all water and glycogen, not fat and my stores get pretty much depleted after the race...which is why I then need beer.

I basically give myself a couple pounds leeway either way but I also don't freak out if I wake up one morning 3-5 Lbs heavier than the previous day because I know and understand the science here and understand and know that it is mathematically impossible to actually gain 3-5 Lbs of fat over night.

So the science of maintenance is beer and fake cheese.
    Got it :wink:
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would say 5 lbs in either direction. My goal is 155 so between 150-160 would be okay with me
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I entered at 151lbs and have allowed 6lbs either way before I panic, I'm not 152.5lbs so no panic. That's in 8.5months
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Over 127 is my PANIC weight, finally dropped back below it the other day after being at an all time high of 137. My goal is to maintain 120-125 but i am not there yet...

5'3.5", 21, 126.8lbs, 24.4% BF (as of this morning)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 5 pounds in either direction.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My clothes size.
    Given the fact that weight fluctuates from day to day and hour to hour I would rather rely on my cloth size and my weight within a 4 pound range (upwards range that is lol). So long as my clothes arent getting tighter and my weight is in the same ballpark I'll be happy.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I give a 5 lb window, knowing my weight fluctuates 2 lbs just from a heavy sweat session and 4 lbs from my TOM.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is 118 in the morning. I vary throughout the month from 115 - 121. Anything above 121ish or below 115ish means something needs adjusting. I no longer count every calorie so keeping an eye on the scale lets me fix things before they get too far in either direction.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and I know I bounce around 3 pounds. But not more unless I'm holding a lot of water (which I can tell because my rings get tight).
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My weight varies from 124 to 128 throughout my cycle. Right before that time, I'm closer to the 124 mark, and right after it I'm closer to the 128 mark. It's been that way ever since I made goal almost two years ago.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When i look in the mirror and think, "you sexy motherfvcker, you!"
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    5 lb range.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My weight varies from 124 to 128 throughout my cycle. Right before that time, I'm closer to the 124 mark, and right after it I'm closer to the 128 mark. It's been that way ever since I made goal almost two years ago.

Well, how annoyingly predictable is that!?! :noway:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    When i look in the mirror and think, "you sexy motherfvcker, you!"

This!!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Not dropping below 155 and not going over 170 (target weight, 163)
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As long as it is around 110-114lb, I am ok with that. If I am weight more than this, it's time to watch what I eat once again. =P
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont have a number, i just look in the mirror... at the moment i am working on lowering my BF%, but the scales arent going down, so my weight is insignificant.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    At 6' I can be happy right around 180. During racing season (running) i like to be closer to 175. but at that point I am losing inches more than lbs.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    apparently my body says 143.6..and I say 130... :( Been stuck here for 3 months.. trying hard to hit the high 130's my body is not having it!