contract marriage?

Options
12346»

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you found yourself in an unfortunate situation, would you contract marry someone?

Would I do it? No.

I don't see why it's illegal, though. I'm no lawyer, but AFAIK there's no legal requirement for love or sex to be a part of marriage. It's just a "domestic partnership" nowadays.

If people follow the laws then you can marry whoever the hell you want. I'm from MA, we pioneered this stuff!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. That is fraud...Not to mention not the meaning of marriage.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you found yourself in an unfortunate situation, would you contract marry someone?

Would I do it? No.

I don't see why it's illegal, though. I'm no lawyer, but AFAIK there's no legal requirement for love or sex to be a part of marriage. It's just a "domestic partnership" nowadays.

If people follow the laws then you can marry whoever the hell you want. I'm from MA, we pioneered this stuff!

Sex is actually a part of the marriage contract. You can get a marriage anulled if your spouse can't give you babies or is unable to perform le sexy time.

The meaning of marriage has already been butchered by many people. It only matters if it matters to you.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see how this is much different than people who marry because they got pregnant.

Or stay together because they "can't afford to divorce".

Or people who fight constantly and hate each other but "don't want to divorce".

Or people who marry, but choose to live in separete cities/states/countries because of a job or schooling.

Or couples who are "actively" married but don't have sex.

Or a couple that's been together for many many years without the legally binding part... then choose to get married when one of them develops, for example, cancer, because they need the marriage blessing for insurance purposes.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is a well thought out agreement and how to handle various situations, which most people don't think about when they decide to tie the knot.
    For that fact of the matter, what is the difference between a good contract marriage and a solid pre-nup?

Because, in the US, marrying for health insurance is ILLEGAL.(I learned that on Greys Anatomy, so it must be true).
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see how this is much different than people who marry because they got pregnant.

Or stay together because they "can't afford to divorce".

Or people who fight constantly and hate each other but "don't want to divorce".

Or people who marry, but choose to live in separete cities/states/countries because of a job or schooling.

Or couples who are "actively" married but don't have sex.

Or a couple that's been together for many many years without the legally binding part... then choose to get married when one of them develops, for example, cancer, because they need the marriage blessing for insurance purposes.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is a well thought out agreement and how to handle various situations, which most people don't think about when they decide to tie the knot.
    For that fact of the matter, what is the difference between a good contract marriage and a solid pre-nup?

Because, in the US, marrying for health insurance is ILLEGAL.(I learned that on Greys Anatomy, so it must be true).

nope, it isnt. I've said it before...only if immigration status is involved. The government and insurance companies don't give a rats assets if you love your spouse...and frankly the day they do is the day martial law is declared and we start bowing to the new dictator.

tumblr_mddlddt7iz1r4p8y3.gif
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would not but I do see where the OP is coming from and aren't a lot of marriages a fraud? Hello Britney Spears/Kim Kardashian...

A marriage on paper is essentially a business contract. What you believe a marriage signifies is a personal matter. I could ramble on about this but I will leave it there.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to ever be married again for any reason so that would be a big NO for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah why not.
    contract legal reasons are fine. That doesn't disrupt the sanctity of marriage. Good luck! We need more people getting married anyways.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is why we should have Universal Healthcare so no one has to be in this situation and marriage can be for what it really is!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a contract. He does not say no an I always say yes. Oh an he always buys me wine

Hmmm...add chocolate to that and I think you guys copied my contract! LOL
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

For example, you have a health problem and a friend of yours has fantastic insurance (that also treats old/standing issues). Would you marry them for their insurance if you two agreed - living separate lives as friends only?

Meaning: you can file taxes together, live in different states, no sex between you two, be in a committed relationship with someone else, vacation separately, workout together, etc. Basically, you'd be completely platonic, but legally married.

No.......

My wife would get really p^$$ed....then I would not need the health insurance.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

For example, you have a health problem and a friend of yours has fantastic insurance (that also treats old/standing issues). Would you marry them for their insurance if you two agreed - living separate lives as friends only?

Meaning: you can file taxes together, live in different states, no sex between you two, be in a committed relationship with someone else, vacation separately, workout together, etc. Basically, you'd be completely platonic, but legally married.

No.......

My wife would get really p^$$ed....then I would not need the health insurance.

:laugh:
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a contract. He does not say no an I always say yes. Oh an he always buys me wine

Lol too funny!
  • _TimeForMe
    _TimeForMe Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry....worked great for them....:laugh:
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry....worked great for them....:laugh:

"Scissor me timbers, Baby!" :bigsmile:

:laugh:
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    yes why not. benefits for both parties! u don't even have to tell ppl you are "married" !! lol
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of peoples morals and ideals and maybe even religious beliefs are coming into play here.
    So the government gives perks to two people who get married. Why? Because they love each other? Why should the government care?
    If you choose to marry (partner up with someone for government perks) that's on you. You better trust the person you choose, but I wouldn't think any less of someone for it.
    Yes, it's fraud. Don't get caught. Just because something is illegal doesn't necessarily make it morally wrong.

How is it fraud? You entered into a legal contract with another person. There's no 'love, honor, and obey' that *has* to be part of a marriage ceremony, and really, so long as you pass the blood test and the person isn't your first cousin (not applicable in some states) the people handing out the license couldn't probably care less about how you conduct your affairs afterward.

I'd say it's fraud because of the way marriage is currently understood in the United States. When I got married at the City Clerks office, pretty much the most clinical way possible, we were expected to hold hands and there was a speech about all of the "love, honor, obey" stuff as part of the official ceremony. Even if you or I believe it should be a legal contract, that's not how the general populace sees it, or even the government. If it were a legal contract, ther'd be no reason to exclude men. But as it stands, it's based in Christianity.

City officials made you promise to obey!! That's BS! Were you married in a southern state?

No, actually. Detroit city clerks office, the authority for Wayne County, Michigan.
  • pennelope515
    Options
    NO!