School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.

exactly. how many of the people depending on the state for WIC or food stamps rubbed their hands a few years ago and went "hmm, yeah, i think i'm going to pop out five or six babies and make the Hard-Working Average American™ pay for everything while i go buy prada sunglasses and a new hummer with the money i'm swimming in!" ...i'll wait while y'all come up with the numbers.
    I can assure you... they are not getting enough money to pay for prada sunglasses or a hummer and they are hardly swimming in money. Do you know the max for food stamps per person is 120 a month? I would like to see you live off of that. Could you live off of $600 a month in financial assistance? Our son who had a massive stroke barely gets from one month to the next. Try finding a place to rent and pay all of your bills on $600 a month. Its not easy. If you're lucky you might find a room to rent for $300 to $400 a month and if you're really lucky you won't have any critters sharing that room with you or sharing your food. Hey you might even have a pimp sharing the building with you or a drug dealer.. now isn't that the american dream?

Yeah, but if we made poor people even more miserable, they would try harder not to be poor, so really we would be doing them a huge favor. So logical!

Some people physically are not able to work PERIOD! So your logic just got a reality check. As in our son's case he had as I said massive stroke. He has no use of his left side. Has severe short term memory problems, vision problems, bladder problems etc. He will never get these things back. He has gone through testing to try to go to school to learn something...anything... But he has failed those tests miserably and we were told there is no way he will ever be able to pick up a trade or work in his life... period. He still tries. He insists that he will some day do something. We all smile and support him and tell him yes some day you'll do something. Just hang in there. You have no clue!!!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.

exactly. how many of the people depending on the state for WIC or food stamps rubbed their hands a few years ago and went "hmm, yeah, i think i'm going to pop out five or six babies and make the Hard-Working Average American™ pay for everything while i go buy prada sunglasses and a new hummer with the money i'm swimming in!" ...i'll wait while y'all come up with the numbers.
    I can assure you... they are not getting enough money to pay for prada sunglasses or a hummer and they are hardly swimming in money. Do you know the max for food stamps per person is 120 a month? I would like to see you live off of that. Could you live off of $600 a month in financial assistance? Our son who had a massive stroke barely gets from one month to the next. Try finding a place to rent and pay all of your bills on $600 a month. Its not easy. If you're lucky you might find a room to rent for $300 to $400 a month and if you're really lucky you won't have any critters sharing that room with you or sharing your food. Hey you might even have a pimp sharing the building with you or a drug dealer.. now isn't that the american dream?

Yeah, but if we made poor people even more miserable, they would try harder not to be poor, so really we would be doing them a huge favor. So logical!

Some people physically are not able to work PERIOD! So your logic just got a reality check. As in our son's case he had as I said massive stroke. He has no use of his left side. Has severe short term memory problems, vision problems, bladder problems etc. He will never get these things back. He has gone through testing to try to go to school to learn something...anything... But he has failed those tests miserably and we were told there is no way he will ever be able to pick up a trade or work in his life... period. He still tries. He insists that he will some day do something. We all smile and support him and tell him yes some day you'll do something. Just hang in there. You have no clue!!!

I think your ability to detect sarcasm from a person who agrees with you needs a reality check.

Oh wait, I just realize there are people who would say what i said and actually mean it. My bad.

For the record I am a former randroid and dedicated pinko.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Speaking of which, can someone please return my crystal ball? I really need that before the next big Powerball drawing.

That wasn't the point. It had nothing to do with the future, and all to do with the present. A person knows whether or not they can afford a child when making the decision to have one. I waited 4 years post marriage because we knew we weren't financially stable enough yet. Others on the other hand, don't care and go ahead anyway. That was the point.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Speaking of which, can someone please return my crystal ball? I really need that before the next big Powerball drawing.

That wasn't the point. It had nothing to do with the future, and all to do with the present. A person knows whether or not they can afford a child when making the decision to have one. I waited 4 years post marriage because we knew we weren't financially stable enough yet. Others on the other hand, don't care and go ahead anyway. That was the point.

I know that. It was a joke.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Schools have to feed a lot of children for pennies because they get no budget. It's more economical to bring in prepared foods and heat them than to buy everything fresh and pay the cooks more for all the extra time they need to make it.

I brought my own lunch to school every day because the cafeteria food was TERRIBLE. If nothing else, save your kid's tastebuds and send a sandwich.

:heart: Right?
    Easy Peasy....but it can be a complicated situation.

I'm not really sure why people feel it's the the school's responsibility to nourish our children with their food offerings. I keep hearing about an uncomfortable amount of school age children not having *anything* to eat or going hungry without the food offered by schools.

I suppose it's important to note that I live in NY and I come from the generation where I remember when it was innovative to provide breakfast at school. We didn't go hungry, but I *do* remember being hungry a lot when I was a kid growing up in Astoria. Mostly in the summertime.

In pics, one could see that my body fat was very low and at 6 yrs old, I had a 4-pack :huh: My point is, if it weren't for the school meals, I'm sure I would've been hungry more often.

Are they nutritious?....They didn't have to be. They comprised about 1/2 of my daily consumption of calories, sometimes less cause let's face it, the stuff wasn't very good, but nutrition and palatability are not the point :ohwell:

If you are well-to-do enough that you can afford to take the time to make your children's lunches, please do.:drinker:

I'm not sure why this is an issue though, even here we as MFP'ers don't agree on what is a proper nutritious diet, why would you think our education system would be able to agree enough to offer it....NEVERMIND the pink elephant in the room ($$$). :indifferent:

I find it kind of disturbing that because someone is able to afford better for their little ones/family that they begin to look down on those who cannot & must make do.

This is one of the reasons I take issue with jokers who like to go around exclaiming that fat people/obese people/overweight people (pick your poison if it matters) :huh: are completely to blame for their state. It's a complicated issue involving demographics as well as environmental factors. Oversimplifying the issue, in my opinion is arrogant and promotes a very 'us and them' attitude.

I find the disdain for school cafeteria food judgemental and ridiculous.

I read a post yesterday about 1200 cal diets, where someone said, in response to another poster, who exclaimed it would be nightmarish to be forced to live 1500 cal (jas she consumed 1700 on the regular) and the response of one poster was something along the lines of 'It's good to live in a country where one considers eating 1500 cal per day a nightmare'. :huh:

I DO declare, that statement stuck with me :ohwell:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My mother works in a school kitchen and let me tell you this (from her experience) you can give the kids healthier options. Brussel sprouts, sweet potato fries, etc and you can force them to take them (their lunches must include 3 of these five: entree, vegetable, fruit, a grain, a milk) but that doesn't mean that they will eat them. The food will be thrown in the trash untouched. I will disclose that in my mother's school 90% of the kids are on free lunch because it is a low income neighborhood. I want to see kids eat healthier too, but I do think that offering only "healhy" foods that kids don't like and won't eat isn't the answer. And I put healthy in quotes because we could start a whole debate on what should be considered healthy or unhealthy. Like in our schools they removed all the fryers and the french fries are baked. the kids love them. They also offer a free vegetable tray. That is a hit too. A happy medium can be a good thing.
  • sustho
    sustho Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and for a (school) year I at most of my breakfasts and lunches at school. I did not exercise (it was pre transformation for me.) I gained 20 lbs that school year.

My son (he is a 14 year old competitive cyclist) and I both went to the school to try to change what they feed the students. We were told that the students wont eat the healthier options. (My response, I guess not if they can walk to the other lunch line and get the junk food.)

And you are right they claim to be healthier because nothing is deep fried. (and yes french fries, tater tots, potato triangles and steak fries are on the menu 20 out of 23 meals.)

It drives me nuts thankfully both of my kids would rather pack. (more time to eat because they don't have to stand in line.) :blushing:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You should probably take a look at your sarcasm font, seems to be broken
  • pcastagner
    Options

You should probably take a look at your sarcasm font, seems to be broken

Mine too!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I'm sure a lot of the people who had kids right before the economy crashed and a huge number of people lost their jobs knew were perfectly stable when they decided they would have kids. The point is that economic statuses change and just because you have a stable job now doesn't mean you'll have one in a year.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the people who had kids right before the economy crashed and a huge number of people lost their jobs knew were perfectly stable when they decided they would have kids. The point is that economic statuses change and just because you have a stable job now doesn't mean you'll have one in a year.

I'm equally sure that there are lots of people having children *right now* when they can't afford them *right now*.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Supporting adults with children is also, in the end, not about rewards or punishments for adults, it's about sound social policy designed to look after long term stability and growth.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and for a (school) year I at most of my breakfasts and lunches at school. I did not exercise (it was pre transformation for me.) I gained 20 lbs that school year.

My son (he is a 14 year old competitive cyclist) and I both went to the school to try to change what they feed the students. We were told that the students wont eat the healthier options. (My response, I guess not if they can walk to the other lunch line and get the junk food.)

And you are right they claim to be healthier because nothing is deep fried. (and yes french fries, tater tots, potato triangles and steak fries are on the menu 20 out of 23 meals.)

It drives me nuts thankfully both of my kids would rather pack. (more time to eat because they don't have to stand in line.) :blushing:

What is unhealthy about a baked tater tot or any other form of potato?
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

I wouldn't blame the government completely. Anytime Michelle Obama's program is mentioned, you get so many parents that cry about how governement is taking the choice away from parents and we're headed to a nanny state, etc. There is a lot of opposition towards schools getting rid of junk food, for some reason.

Then the other problem is, of course, as already mentioned, money. It might be cheaper and within the schools budget to feed kids the junk then the healthy options.

I think the government should provide only healthy options ,and if parents want to make the choice to give their kids junk, then they have to buy it for them and give it to them. If it costs us more in taxes, then so be it. We'll get that money back tenfold in years when our kids aren't suffering with healthy problems

It's hilarious that people cry about choices being taken away when we're given such little choice to begin with. Really, serving healthy foods rather than unhealthy foods is at the very least only changing the choices, not eliminating the number of options.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Some of the spelling and grammar in this thread affirms my opinion that the focus needs to remain on the education of our children and not the foods they are served.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I work for a school district and heading up the choices in the cafeteria is no easy feat. Our district (which is in the Twin Cities in Minnesota) has approximately 45% of students district wide (65% at elementary level) of students on Free/reduced lunch. This means that many many times, the food they receive at school is all they are going to get for the day. We even have a program that sends food home for the weekend, because without it these kids won't eat on Sat and Sun.

The new government guidelines are very strict for the cafeterias, however to the OP are you looking at the nutritional value of each meal? Sure there are a lot of choice that do not seem healthy, but is there pizza with whole wheat cust? Veggie/turkey burger options? We never serve French fries if they are not from sweet potatoes, and we have a salad bar at each school throughout the district.

We can teach our children to see the healthier options that are out there AND it is our responsibility to check the nutritional value of each meal. When our kids get chicken nuggets and potatoes how many calories and nutrients are they really getting? Is it over the top with calories? Of course not, it's balanced with veggies, protein, and grains because they HAVE to be via government standards.

Our school district also has a community garden and MANY times we serve veggies that have been grown right in our community. So don't go hating on school lunches because there are millions of people out there who strive to make sure that our kids are given options that stay within calories and nutrient requirements.

We provide all nutritional info on every single meal, so maybe it's time to address the school board or district for changes that need to be made in your area.

Ultimately... what kids choose is what we as parents can control.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a similar problem, however she has taken to going over the lunch menu with her children (when they were old enough) and giving them a choice - one of the items on the menu, or a third option of a packed lunch. Sometimes they choose the pizza, and sometimes they choose the lunch she offers to make, which I think is a perfect way to teach children about making choices, having variety, etc. and that sometimes it's ok to have a slice of pizza. Then for dinners, she and/or her husband prepare healthy options (which is awesome, because pre-children they were the "I'm tired tonight, throw in a frozen pizza again" kind of people :] )
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a similar problem, however she has taken to going over the lunch menu with her children (when they were old enough) and giving them a choice - one of the items on the menu, or a third option of a packed lunch. Sometimes they choose the pizza, and sometimes they choose the lunch she offers to make, which I think is a perfect way to teach children about making choices, having variety, etc. and that sometimes it's ok to have a slice of pizza. Then for dinners, she and/or her husband prepare healthy options (which is awesome, because pre-children they were the "I'm tired tonight, throw in a frozen pizza again" kind of people :] )

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.... we need to empower our kids!! This is what we do in our house every Sunday for the week ahead!!
  • sustho
    sustho Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that they are consumed daily often without green beans, peas or broccoli (ect...)

related / unrelated cafeteria topic
    they pour oil over the pasta to keep it from sticking (un)fortunately it also keeps the high sodium sauce from sticking to it.