WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Update from DH. he says about 40 people are there with his auntie and there is lots of laughter and remembering old stories and that his aunt seems very content and at peace. She is very weak...can't get out of bed by herself and can only say 4-5 words before having to stop to breathe. Hospice is there every day. I'm glad he is getting to see her now. Good night to all. Meg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    This really isn't a reply its a shout for help. With the help of Myfitnesspal I was able to loose 80 lbs but over the past couple of years I have gained back 40 of those lbs. I can't get remotivated. I work crazy hours and there is nothing normal about my daily routines and this stress along with feeling bad about the weight I can't get back on track. Being 55 it's not like when I was younger and could just stop eating and loose the weight fast it is a hard slow process. HELP!!!!

laurade: You have found a home full of supportive women. You’re welcome here. Join in. Post, read, and be encouraged. You actually have to do the work yourself, but we’ll cheer you when you’re successful and sympathize when you have a bad day. One day at a time, log your food, exercise, and spend as much time with people who will encourage you as you need. There is plenty of advice and laughter here to cheer you on.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning ladies
    im up having my lemon water and im down another lb :bigsmile:
    so freakin excited..im going to the gym in a minute going to through some laundry in before I go.
    It is downright chilly here this morning 53 degrees.
    will check in when I get back:drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I start my morning by walking the dogs, one at a time so they can do their morning "business", then I have time for myself......I write in my gratitude journal so my day starts with thoughts centered on what is right in my life...it is so easy to lapse into a litany of what's wrong and forget that I have body parts that work, conveniences in my home, family and other loved ones, and the opportunities to pursue the goals I have for my life....then I do some spiritual reading because I believe that there are spiritual principles that will solve all my problems...after this I fix my breakfast (chocolate Isagenix shake with almond milk, walnuts, and calcium powder)......I post my breakfast and read your posts on MFP while I eat my breakfast.....then I leash the dogs and we go out for a long walk together...the length of the walk depends on how early I go up and how early I have to be home to get ready for what is on the day's agenda.....it helps me to have this plan in the morning, then I don't have to make any decisions...I get up and follow the plan no matter how I feel or what the weather is like.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie:smile: Congrats on another pound gone!!!!! It`s downright chilly here too, 57 degrees in Aug:noway: . Next week out temps are supposed to go back to normal, high 80`s and low 90`s! I still need some summer weather:glasses: !!!

Joyce:smile: Sure hope you`re feeling better today:flowerforyou: !

Meg:smile: Glad DH is getting to spend a little time with Auntie and sharing some laughter and memories!

Rhonda:smile: I`ll try to take some pics of the yard this weekend and post them. I think it`s looking just lovely, wish I had more time to add more things to it! How nice of you to go to the ER, and I`m glad her daughter had no broken bones and will be okay! I know the feeling of being overwhelmed, it`s so nice you were there to support her!!!

Time for me to get myself up and out and get some stuff done! Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly NC
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    :flowerforyou: Grandmallie congrats on that pound down
    :flowerforyou: rjscott what a lovely thing to do... driving down n being supportive
    :smile: jmkmomm dont be so hard on yourself, sending u lots of hugs and warm wishes, let tomorrows poem be on I love the sunshine, I love being on my own feet, I love......
    and u sing..... thats such a divine talent, u stuck to your childhood dreams and made them a reality, taking my hat off to u lady
    :flowerforyou: janemartin 02 happy anniversary!
    :flowerforyou: megblair you did so well
    :glasses: janie12835 keep walking and posting, nice to see you and your animations :laugh:
    I hope to stick to my plan, drink lots of water, exercise and log
    anamika
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a rainy Hampshire. No watering the garden today!:bigsmile:
    It certainly makes you look at the weather differently when you've got a garden. A spell of hot, dry days is not so appealing!:huh:

Had a really good workout this morning - as well as my hour on the machines I did half an hour strength training. 23 press ups, 2mins 5 secs plank, etc., etc., plus weights. Felt done in and very 'glowing' by the time I finished, but I do love the feeling.:smile:

Meg- sorry to hear about the diabetes. It is so frustrating when our body lets us down. The good thing is you have the knowledge to help yourself. I heard the other day that diabetes is costing the NHS in Britain a million pounds a day! ! ! Last night I watched a documentary about the new fast food fashion in India. The middle class are getting fatter and 50 million have diabetes. My brother has it and I don't think he is brilliant at keeping to his diet. He has had to have a lot of laser work on his retinas. I know you have been trying to look after yourself, so it must be super annoying!

Joyce- hang on in there!:flowerforyou: I am sure you will bounce back soon. I agree with the others - you should write a memoir. I love your sense of humour and the way you express things.

Tere - I was so pleased to see you back. My 'front melons' are a little less perky than they were, but for my age and weight loss they have survived the storm quite well. One of them has a chunk out of it for breast cancer, but it acts like a bra, so that one is perkier than the other. The hospital offered to even it all out by sucking fat out of my stomach to pump in there, but I decided I had had enough of operations, especially as I am a bit of a 'bruiser'!:laugh:

We have a bit of shopping to do this pm and DH has to pick up his new glasses from the opticians. We are having Chinese style fish for supper with stir fried veg. Otherwise, a blessedly quiet day.:smile:

Love to all, Heather in wet Hampshire UK
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumping to mark my spot for Friday morning.....glad the weekend is here again, but WOW, did the week go by fast!

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, today I get to actually meet the little poodle! The SPCA called last night; we made it to the final culled list of possible families selected for her! Wish me luck........I'm trying to be laid back about this. My DD is at another area shelter this morning volunteering in the surgical suite, helping with spays and neuters. DH starts vacation today.........no plans for that; he's a true homebody...ham radio and books and his kettlebell work-out.

yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my place.
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump :bigsmile:
    Hello Ladies.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...........poodle is very doubtful, having met her. To begin with, I'd bet good money she's older than 5, but the main reason is her back and hips seem to be a real issue with the poor dog.

Also.........and I hate to say this because I always have held this shelter in high regard...........they offer $50.00 off to seniors; but, I was told this dog would need their "obedience lessons" to the tune of $60.00......explained that I've had 2 dogs with "issues" in the past and feel confident I can handle and train a small poodle. Nope, still need their lessons. Grrrrrrr.......pass. Not meant to be.

DD will be home soon; then lunch and off to a movie.

kind of sad
    yanniejannie
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies- I think my funky brainfog has finally cleared a bit, and I feel more like myself again. It really amazes me (and it certainly shouldn't) that dealing w/ my family can be such an emotional drain and such a catalyst for me to sink into old, negative, and destructive thought patterns. I am working my way back out, but I just can't believe that I give so much power to other people.
    OK- I am done with that line of thinking!

We are headed back up to the triple digits today, so anything that has to be done outside had better already be done! (It's about 9 a.m. here as I write this) Unfortunetly, since I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas Tree, I have decided to go shopping! Hot asphalt parking lots, lots of screaming children, and hot cars reflecting the hot sun - yup, that's what this crazy woman has decided to subject herself to today........ I am really not right, ya know. I am going so I can buy Round-Up by the gallon to try to stop the weeds from taking over the whole yard. Then, since JCP is in the same Mall area, I am going to wander through and see if they have any sales. I have been getting sassed at the scrapbook store about my baggy pants. Maybe it is time to look for a smaller size.

I also need to buy a graduation present for my great-niece. She has just earned a BS degree after already earning a BA. Now she is going to go onto school to become a nurse practitioner. I am very proud of her. Now, the sick part of this whole thing is that my sister, her Grandmother, just doesn't understand why she needs to keep 'gathering pieces of paper', can't she just get a job? I am going to do everything I can to keep on encouraging her pursuits and growth; she needs support from somewhere! (See, my family is a mess!)

Food has been going OK this week. I think I told you all that I baked yesterday for a get together. Well, I did eat two pieces of the cake, gave away most of it, and then dumped the rest. It was the only way I knew for sure that I wasn't going to finish the rest of it myself! As cheap and stingy as I am, I will throw food away to protect myself (when I am feeling strong, that is). Just don't tell my Mom!

Rhonda- That was very kind of you to go to the hospital w/ your office manager. Many times when I was a young, divorced mother, I had to take my son into the hospital and it was always frightening and lonely to do that alone. Thank you for being such a Sweetie!

Joyce- I surely understand; I am tired, too. There is another program that says changes can only happen when you are "sick and tired of being sick and tired". It sounds as if you are at that spot, so I send you prayers for positive, healthful changes in your life.

Meg- It is so nice to hear that DH's Auntie has so many loving family and friends around here. That will make this easier on all.

Laurade- Welcome! You will find lots of support and help here.

BarbieCat- Those must be the happiest and healthiest dogs around! Love your dedication and your enthusiasm!

Ok- If I am going to venture out into the world, I had better get going. I wonder how many calories I can burn off if I just wander around Home Depot?

Happy Friday!
    Pat (Phoo in Az)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Well, my "quiet day" turned out to be quite busy!

I rang up John Lewis and got the refund for my postage. They have a 'no quibble' policy, so that went fine.

Then I have been wondering about buying a new coat as my best black winter one is huge on me now.:sad: I might be able to get it taken in as my yoga friend has given me the no. of a dressmaker. However, I AM FED UP WITH BLACK! I had my eye on a red boiled wool one online, but when I looked at the reviews they were less than positive. The red is more like an orange and it is too thin. Isn't the internet wonderful! So I went for a fleece lined raincoat in broad red stripes, with very positive reviews. I think it will be very useful out here in the countryside. It has a detachable hood as well. So, I await its delivery and we will see.:bigsmile:

Then I started thinking about my DSIL's visit next week. I will cook my Chicken in Black Bean Sauce tomorrow and freeze it. Then we have some stewed greengages in the freezer so I decided to make some Lemon Shortbread Biscuits to go with it. So that's what I have been doing this pm. The dough is chilling in the fridge so I will roll and bake it later. Previous efforts have been delicious, but I will only have a bite of DH's.:laugh: Like Michelle, I prefer to be all prepared so I can spend my time with my guests, rather than slaving over a hot stove!:tongue:

Getting all excited about DGS' s arrival on Monday. We will have to get my spare room reorganised for him as he has just started sleeping in a "big bed".:happy: I will have to clear things off the floor and lower shelves. I use it as my study so my published books are all laid out nicely on display! As they are children's books they will be a little too tempting for a 2 year old. I only have one copy of some of them, especially if they are in a foreign language. Bang goes my very own private study! But as I never "study" in there I know it's worth it to have DGS with us.:love:

Bye for now. Heather, UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Anamila :flowerforyou: thank you for the suggestion about instead of writing an I am tired, make a I love instead. I will all day long and make another one. Waking yp feeling refreshed does help. It's just through out the day the aches start in. I also thought about what you said about a memoir. I don't know if any of you ever read the book Papa's wife or not but the other night when I was writing so much about my family in my dreams I was actually putting things in actual chapters. One of the chapters that stand out so for me in Papa's wife was the one about Papa's wife speaking in the pulpit. so cahpters like that came into mind in regard to my family. Her book isn't written in fancy form, just remembering things and putting them down on paper. When my oldest daughter was pregnant with her first child I wanted to do something really special for the baby. Special doesn't have to cost money. So in my dreams one night this book formulated in my mind. I was thinking about Christina through he life, from birth all the way to when she became pregnant. All these different stages of her life she wanted to be called a different name, from her birth given name to her nickname we gave her, then she was old enough she didn't want the nickname but her birth name. Her name when she worked in day care and and the kids couldn't say her name, then what her future husband called her when they were dating. So the name of the book 'The many names of Christina'. Of course through out all these different stages were many many animals so I had to include these. I wrote this just on one side of the page, not the back, so that she could add her own story on the back. I wrote the script in long hand, put all these pictures from my files and put them through the copy machine and then cut them like you might see in a scrap book. I tried to find a nerdy kid who would make it into book form but never could. So I decided it would mean more to her if I just very carefully wrote it, place the pictures where they needed to be, and then took it all to a place that made copies of things, bound books, etc and had them put it together. The cheapest way was the ring binder. Both her girls take it down and read it at times. Christina has never written any thing in it but maybe when she is about to be a grandma for the first time she will get all nostalgic and do it. It's OK if she doesn't.

Joyce
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good Friday afternoon

Lawn bowling this morning was very pleasant although I didn't win my game.

Off to do grocery shopping this afternoon and then I think DBF and I are going to a Greek restaurant for supper. Don't remember what they have, but hope I can find something suitable. I have my grocery list ready to go. He is waiting for someone to come to change the fridge door to open the other way - as it is now he would have to walk round the open door to put things on to the counter, and as he is disabled it is very awkward for him.

DBF spoke to his son this morning and the son and partner will be going back to work for a while to help get over the departure of the little girl. I'm sure they will try to adopt again, but need a little breathing space for now.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~gonna visit one of my senior ladies after hubby goes to work.Beautiful day for a walk.
    Have a good one.HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Wow Joyce you are one very talented lady. I love that your family all sang together. What wonderful memories. I can sing second alto if I have to but not tenor. I am horrible at reading the bass line. I was ringing handbells at church until I injured my shoulder and as I was ringing bass bells I had to mark all my notes on the music but it was fun anyway. I had an aunt who had old age dementia and did not recognize her kids and was unable to dress herself, etc. but she could still play the piano and I believe she got and gave a lot of joy with that at the nursing home. I think you should continue writing. I find writing in my journal very cathartic most times. I know what you mean about being tired. Some days are just like that. Have you ever read the children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? That will give you a chuckle but it can be so true sometimes.

Barbie - I have decided to sign up for the line dance class at church. It doesn't start until next month. Hopefully by then I will be able to use my arm a little more and considering some of the other people signed up it should be a blast.

Have done third session of PT today and he gave me pullies to work with now, three times a day so I will add that to my goals.

Kudos to all with successes and healing angels to those who need them. Sue in SD
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hello all.Wish this thread was easier to find! It's another beautiful day in Ohio.More like September,sunny & no humidity.

We are back from a vacation with DD & SIL.Went to Lancaster,Pa where we shopped at the QVC store.Seems to be mostly clothing now.They used to have more household,yard needs& linens. I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals,to replace my 'old faithful s'
    They are very old,maybe 14!
    DD bought clothes as she returns to her job when school starts next wk.Then to Philadelphia & on to DC.So much walking!
    We walked,walked,then walked some more.Ididn't lose any weight,but didn't gain....so will call it a draw.

I'm back to interval water aerobics 4 x a wk.Been wondering if I might need to eat a bit more,in order to lose wt.Around 1250 calories works,as I'm not hungry....but not losing every wk.Would need to add 150 cals per day.An expert I'm not!

Congrats to the losers & good health to those in need . Patceoh
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    well have the weekend off from my paying job:laugh:
    going to get up early and make blueberry buckle for the electrician that is coming over tomorrow..,then off to the gym..
    im sitting icing my foot,then probably hittin the hay early..hope everyone has a super weekend..
    you know me I will be popping in 2-3 times a day to check in with my pals:bigsmile: