Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!! I DID IT!!! I just completed my first 5k !!!!!!! I ran half and walked half, I made it a point to run across the finish line!! Woot woot!!! GO ME!!! I won't know official time and place til Monday, same for pics, none til Monday. HAPPY BRU DANCE!!!!

I could not have done it without everyone's support, thank you sooooo very much!!!! :heart: Bru
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!! I DID IT!!! I just completed my first 5k !!!!!!! I ran half and walked half, I made it a point to run across the finish line!! Woot woot!!! GO ME!!! I won't know official time and place til Monday, same for pics, none til Monday. HAPPY BRU DANCE!!!!

I could not have done it without everyone's support, thank you sooooo very much!!!! :heart: Bru

Congrats on the 5K run! Thats a great accomplishment!

I've yet to do anything competitive but I've upped my workout routine to five days a week now. I'm to the point that I can maintain a 7MPH (8.5 minute mile) pace pretty much indefinitely and am going to push the speed up to 7.5 MPH (8 minute mile) probably next week and see how it goes from there. I've stuck with the 30 minute run time but have been gradually increasing my speed over the past few weeks starting from 6MPH (10 minute mile) after graduation.

I never would have believed it on week two or three of the C25K program but here I am!

To those of you still working your way through the program toward graduation. Don't give up! If I can do it then you CAN do it!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Gonna jump in here if I may. I have started the Couch to 5K a couple weeks ago. I am on week 3 but really have had to jump ahead. For some reason my pod casts have been disappearing from my I-pod after a couple runs. :ohwell: Weird, huh?? anyone else have this? So far I have been able to keep up. Hopefully that doesn't happen for me at a real critical point!! :laugh:

I plan to run tomorrow for my second day of week 3. I'm having a bit of a pirifomis (butt muscle) issue. Usually feels best to keep moving. It's the sitting that does me in! And here I am at my computer! Thanks for letting me be a part. That will be a big day when I can run a 5K!!
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just came across this today actually and am starting tomorrow morning. I'm so excited about it!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Just got the results of the race...out off all the females, I was 50 out of 71. That's just the females, they do not have a current list of men and women combined. I finished at 44:24 and I averaged a 14:19min mile walk/run and my friend Bernie was 10sec after me! First 5k for both of us :) Woot Woot!!
  • PickyNikki
    Options
    Hi guys! Congrats on everyone's hard work and double congrats Brunette on your first 5k! I haven't been around in a few days but I'm still sticking with the program! I completed week 1 last week and am doing W2D1 tonight. I had a long weekend of bad eating choices and no exercise and I am really looking forward to shaking that off tonight when I run :smile: Keep it up everyone!
  • mrsrunnerchick
    Options
    Couch to 5k is how I learned to run. I completed my first marathon 1.5 years after starting couch to 5k so it definitely works.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there runners! I am an aspiring 5ker BUT I have a problem, I am getting injured in my right calf EVERY time I am running uphill. I had to take a 4 week break during week 3, and now after 18 mins of my wk 5 day 3 run it went again AS SOON AS I WENT UPHILL, I wasn't out of breath infect I was feeling great and then I was devastated, so what to do now, give up the running and just walk..... Or repeat and repeat week 4 when my injury is mended.... How do I sort this problem of my r calf I thought it was the Achilles but it is deep in my calf muscle about halfway up , is v painful and lasts ages!

Please help! Thanks in advance!
  • quirkyone
    quirkyone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I still haven't done my W5D5, but I've definitely been running! Last week I ran my first-ever full mile (11:30 min), so the next session I thought "why not try for two?". I did, both at the same pace, with a 5 minutes walking in between. Then Saturday I headed out to a local park with a .9 mile loop. I did a 5 min warmup walk, then ran to my starting point, walked 1 min, ran the loop to the same spot again, walked another minute, then finished my final loop running. That was *close* to a 5K (about 2.7 miles) and it took me under 35 minutes.

Of course, I'm not sure where this leaves me for C25K. I'm very content with my current plan to walk about 1-2 min of each mile I run, and feel that's a very reasonable way to complete a 5K. I'm going to keep running for speed and increase stamina, but now that I know I CAN do it, I don't feel nearly as motivated to push myself to run the full thing.

Anyone else swim? I'm seriously looking into aquathlons for next summer. I don't mind biking, but really don't want to invest in the equipment, so triathlons are out. I'm trying to up my swim training on my non-run days to prepare.

So far this week:
    Sat 9/18: 2.7 miles, 5 min warmup walk, 28 min jogging with 2 x 1 min walk breaks
    Sun 9/19: 1 mile swim
    Mon 9/20: 5 mile bike, 1 mile run, 1/4 mile swim
    Tues 9/21: REST!
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted on here much but I started C25K at the end of June and I'm on my last week! Tomorrow will be my last official run. I am so proud of myself and I have to say, I am actually enjoying running now! I usually run on the treadmill but over the weekend I ran my three miles outside and finished in 32 minutes! It was such a great feeling. I'm doing my first 5K next month! Now I'm not too sure what to do next.
  • sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Before I took a week vacation, I was on week 6. I was struggling with my stamina, but little walking breaks help.

Now I'm afraid to try again! What if I can't pull off 25 minutes anymore?
  • wmchick81
    Options
    I have definitely temporarily at least quit the C25K. I just couldn't get past Week 5 Day 2. I haven't quit for good; actually I'd like to start the program where I left off. I have been running/walking intervals on the treadmill. It alternates from 3.0 to 6.5 to 4.0 up to 8.5. I have no problem doing that and actually enjoy it. I found I was just getting so bored during my 8 minute run that I was watching the time countdown on my iPod. I think I was probably trying to go too fast for the entire time. 6.0+ which isn't really fast~ but it sure feels that way after 4-5 minutes.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted on here much but I started C25K at the end of June and I'm on my last week! Tomorrow will be my last official run. I am so proud of myself and I have to say, I am actually enjoying running now! I usually run on the treadmill but over the weekend I ran my three miles outside and finished in 32 minutes! It was such a great feeling. I'm doing my first 5K next month! Now I'm not too sure what to do next.

Gateway to 8K! :wink:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Today was Week 5 Day 2 for me and Friday is a 20 min non-stop. That should be interesting. - What is funny is I have went 2 hours before non-stop on the elliptical and not be as wore out as I am trying this.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Gateway to 8K! :wink:

This is perfect! Thank you!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Did a couple more days of C25K. Tomorrow I start week 4. I am running a little less than 6 mph and walking about 4.5. Wonder if I can keep up the pace when the runs get longer! Love hearing about you who made the 5 K! That is awesome. Keeps me going!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    wmchick, I am right there with you ... I haven't kept up the consistency in running, and can't seem to get past W6D2. My last run was a disaster. I could barely run 5 min, let alone 25! I ended up increasing the incline on the treadmill and walked instead. I'm a bit discouraged - I probably need to backup and re-do a few days to get back any losses I've suffered over the last few weeks.
  • quirkyone
    quirkyone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I wasn't sure what I'd be doing when I started my run today. In the back of my mind, I was thinking I might do my W5D3 run. It's less overall than I've been running, but more in one burst. I ended up doing 2 miles straight at a slower speed (5.0 MPH), for a total of 24 minutes running. I took a 2 minute walk break, then finished up my first time going a full 5K with another jog. Total time was a smidge over 40 minutes.

I printed up a copy of a different 5K program a while ago (Prevention Magazine's, maybe?) and it has the first day of the final week as run 25 minutes/walk 2/run 5. That means I almost did a workout from the FINAL week?! I'm going to try the same thing again later this week and if it goes OK, heck, I'm going with the program that I've apparently almost finished! :-P

So far this week:
    Sat 9/18: 2.7 miles - 5 min warmup walk, 28 min jog with 2 x 1 min walk breaks
    Sun 9/19: 1 mile swim
    Mon 9/20: 5 mile bike, 1 mile jog, 1/4 mile swim
    Tues 9/21: REST!
    Wed 9/22: 3.1 miles - 5 min warmup walk, 24 min jog, 2 min walk, 9 min jog
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    hi, MFPs! I decided to move onto Gateway to 8k, my first day was Monday and it went well. I am sure there will be a week that I get hung up on, like Week 7 of C25K, but I like having a program and think I can work on speed while increasing my distance. Anybody graduating soon who wants to join me on G28K?
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Attempted W5D2 for the umpteenth time and actually finished it. I stopped for water half way through the first 8 minutes but did NOT stop during the second 8 minutes. Funny thing is I thought it was 3 8 minute runs. Thank goodness it wasn't. I did a total of 4.3 miles in my 45 minutes on the treadmill. After doing my 31 minutes of C25K, I did intervals from 3.0-9.0mph. Definitely am not ready to try running for 20 minutes though.