The Men who Made Us Fat

Options
Minnie2361
Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
The men who made us fat is a BBC documentary done in 2012 with a wealth of information concerning the food industry the food itself and how we became obese
It is a three part series you can find by going to You Tube
Part 1, 2 and 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owekbSp7wU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI

Replies

• REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump to watch later ... thank you.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    it concerns the tactics and marketing of food products some of them downright devious to get us to buy their crap. It makes one realize one has to vigilant , read the packages research the food. An example in part 3 is Cadburys.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    it concerns the tactics and marketing of food products some of them downright devious to get us to buy their crap. It makes one realize one has to vigilant , read the packages research the food. An example in part 3 is Cadburys.

They're going to do whatever they can to make money, that should be expected, if you're informed and you pay attention to what you put in your mouth, it shouldn't matter.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

Aye, taking full responsibility for your life is a decent Step 1.

I made myself fat, I made the decisions, I am where I am now because of my decisions, I can change my future and reality with every decision I make, every thought. I am the boss of me, I am not a victim, I call the shots.

Having said all that the doco is decent enough watch if you take the premise that we are helpless victims of the food/diet/whatever industry with a decent pinch of sodium.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    -.- not again
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I once saw a little Tumblr meme thingie that said something along the lines of if you see a food in a commercial, you shouldn't be eating it, and that is pretty much true. (with the exception of Nutella)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Save for later.

Thanks.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    unfortunately..... so many people are wired to do what marketing tells them. It's too bad.

I agree that we need to take responsibility for our weight gain/loss. The only exception I can think of is legitimate disease/mental illness.
  • danapenguin
    Options
    i would like to blame my fiancee for my weight gain. i was 105 when we met and I got up to 132lbs. within 3 years. =D
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The name may be ill-conceived; however, if the information is good, it's worth the watch. Know your "enemy." I'd give it a try...
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Don't even bother watching it.

It is ridiculous.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    -.- not again

^^^this
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    KeyboardFaceSmash.gif
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    This isn't about blaming other people, it's about exploring what changed in our political and cultural history which made the supermarket culture which we all experience come to be.

I find it validating to be able to look at what is marketed right now as "healthy" and know that I'm not crazy for having tried to lose weight for years and not being able to because I fell into the traps that have been set and now that I've dug myself out and can see it clearly, it becomes easy for me to see where I went wrong, and know that it WILL be an uphill battle, probably more than past generations, because of how difficult it really is to avoid certain ingredients. Nowhere in it does it say that you don't have to put the work in in order to lose the weight, it's saying "this is what is and has been in our culture which adds to why it's so difficult to lose weight." Films like this one are what helped me finally see that it really is as difficult as I think it is and why. From there, I was able to explore how to make changes that have helped me lose a lot of weight.

Taking responsibility for your part in your own weight gain doesn't negate that our daily lives are, in fact, affected by the decisions made which are shown in this film. It doesn't take the responsibility off of the individual to learn the pitfalls, in a way, it helps show potential pitfalls are that the viewer may not have been aware of (that's certainly what films of this nature did for me), so that they may be conscious of them in the future.

The title and a lot of the phrasing in the narration is a bit sensationalized, yes, but a good deal of the information in it is valid.
  • honeriley
    honeriley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, i agree with the philosophy that we are all masters of our own destiny and we shouldn't blame others for our own shortcomings.

That said, I am annoyed at the super low-fat diets of 10 years ago. That was the mainstream belief and i was implementing it to the letter. Grrrrr... that was pretty sub-optimal. We now know that one needs a certain amount of fat in one's diet to support optimal hormone production. Unless of course you're not producing your own hormones (which is why all the very best body builders did best on low fat diets i.e. they weren't producing their own hormones so it made more sense to get their calories from carbs than fat).
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    This isn't about blaming other people, it's about exploring what changed in our political and cultural history which made the supermarket culture which we all experience come to be.

I find it validating to be able to look at what is marketed right now as "healthy" and know that I'm not crazy for having tried to lose weight for years and not being able to because I fell into the traps that have been set and now that I've dug myself out and can see it clearly, it becomes easy for me to see where I went wrong, and know that it WILL be an uphill battle, probably more than past generations, because of how difficult it really is to avoid certain ingredients. Nowhere in it does it say that you don't have to put the work in in order to lose the weight, it's saying "this is what is and has been in our culture which adds to why it's so difficult to lose weight." Films like this one are what helped me finally see that it really is as difficult as I think it is and why. From there, I was able to explore how to make changes that have helped me lose a lot of weight.

Taking responsibility for your part in your own weight gain doesn't negate that our daily lives are, in fact, affected by the decisions made which are shown in this film. It doesn't take the responsibility off of the individual to learn the pitfalls, in a way, it helps show where pitfalls are that the viewer may not have been aware of (that's certainly what films of this nature did for me), so that they may be conscious of them in the future.

The title is a bit sensationalized, yes, but a good deal of the information in it is valid.

But you're wrong.. it isn't difficult if you want it bad enough.

For a start, you can eat McDonalds, you can drink soda and still lose weight - you don't have to avoid ANYTHING.

MODERATION, WILL POWER, CALORIE CONSUMPTION.

Three simple things that change it all.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Papa John and Colonel Sanders helped my *kitten* get fat. That's truth.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    2vwa1yx.gif