The Men who Made Us Fat

Options

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Not quite what either of the documentaries is about - once you get past the weak presentation.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Didn't and wont watch :laugh:

Title alone assures me the makers of documentary are ding dongs

Yum Ding dongs ....oh you didnt mean those cakes..my bad
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

That is a fact. I agree completely. People sell crack too and I choose not to use that.

^truth^
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    It's still mind boggling to me that people feel the need to speak out against something which speaks about how so many products which are marketed as "healthy" might not actually be so and encourages informed decisions, while giving real-life examples of marketing tactics which have been used in the past, like marketing cookies as "reduced fat" and then stores finding it hard to keep them on the shelves because what the "reduced fat" label did was suggest that the consumer could eat more of them without gaining weight. It talks about how it's easy to market foods as "high in calcium" "fortified with vitamins" and "heart healthy" while packing them with sugar and downplaying the negatives, and people do purchase them because they're trying to make healthy decisions and are being mislead. It also talks about how the different size options at fast food places and the like came to be, and how a TON of calories can be packed into seemingly small packages. Many, many people fall into these traps. The marketing is designed to sell product, and the companies producing a lot of these products are obviously concerned with turning profit, and are less concerned about really helping people lose weight.

I know I looked at quite a few things in here and went "oh, I did that..." and "hmm.. always wondered about that. Now I know my suspicions on that are confirmed." It doesn't say "this is evil, don't buy this." it says "this is what happened so far to get us here." The decision is still the on the viewer to make, this is just a tool to help people be conscious of different types of deceptive marketing.

I still think a lot of people are just responding to the title and haven't actually watched it.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    This topic is like fart gas and about as useful. Take personal responsibility for ALL of your actions and decisions, regardless of who/what influenced them because in the end, you -the individual- made the decision to do whatever. If the info you based it on is flawed, too bad. You have now learned from that failure and hopefully will not repeat it by following similarly flawed info.
  • trace79or
    trace79or Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Haha when I saw the title for this I immediately thought of my husband LOL!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

If you listen and ignore the ineffectual presenter the information is quite fascinating. Some of it I have known for ages but each episode brings up something new or a perspective I hadn't seen before.

Much of it is dismissed because of what it appears to be... the title of the documentaries being a case in point. When you get past the deliberately provocative soundbite stuff it gets really interesting.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    LOLwut?

I'm the only one responsible for making myself fat.

Blaming others and not taking personal responsibility is really unfortunate.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh lord..this thread AGAIN ...LOL ..i thought this was a re-bump..

Over eating makes people fat not some corporation, government, or sugar producing company ....rolls eyez...
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

If you listen and ignore the ineffectual presenter the information is quite fascinating. Some of it I have known for ages but each episode brings up something new or a perspective I hadn't seen before.

Much of it is dismissed because of what it appears to be... the title of the documentaries being a case in point. When you get past the deliberately provocative soundbite stuff it gets really interesting.

No it doesn't. I've watched it all. It is just really silly.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it concerns the tactics and marketing of food products some of them downright devious to get us to buy their crap. It makes one realize one has to vigilant , read the packages research the food. An example in part 3 is Cadburys.

so if someone does not realize that a candy bars and big macs is not a healthy diet, then that is not their own fault? what ever happened to personal responsibility ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Papa John and Colonel Sanders helped my *kitten* get fat. That's truth.

those F'ing *kitten* ruined my life too....
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    An even better watch also on BBC (I'm sure it's probably aslo on YouTube also but I'm a bit of a technophobe so probably can't find it!!) ''The people who made us Thin' a fairly damning view of the whole 'diet' industry including interviews with a VERY well known Slimming Group who reluctantly admit that how they mostly make money is from people who start 'diets' and fail so start again. Bit of a vicious cycle that I've been a 'victim' of on many occassions.

Loosing weight is ALL fairly simple and in the words of the great Bob Harper (& Gillian Michael both of Biggest Looser fame) eat less and move more. It's how I've done it and how you're ALL doing it too. NOT rocket science and IMHO no one but yourself makes you overweight because as human beings we all have the capacity to say' no thanks, I've eaten enough' Candy made me fat (Haribo's and Wine Gums) but do I blame the manufactureres NO I don't. I did this to MYSELF because I didn't know when to stop.
  • hanwyz
    hanwyz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump to watch when I'm bored of supersize v superskinny
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I made myself fat when I was shoving every ounce of fast food in my mouth because my mom died in 2009 and didn't want to deal with life. Now I don't.

I own it, I have to change little bit at a time. Nothing will ever change my mind on it.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    An even better watch also on BBC (I'm sure it's probably aslo on YouTube also but I'm a bit of a technophobe so probably can't find it!!) ''The people who made us Thin' a fairly damning view of the whole 'diet' industry including interviews with a VERY well known Slimming Group who reluctantly admit that how they mostly make money is from people who start 'diets' and fail so start again. Bit of a vicious cycle that I've been a 'victim' of on many occassions.

Loosing weight is ALL fairly simple and in the words of the great Bob Harper (& Gillian Michael both of Biggest Looser fame) eat less and move more. It's how I've done it and how you're ALL doing it too. NOT rocket science and IMHO no one but yourself makes you overweight because as human beings we all have the capacity to say' no thanks, I've eaten enough' Candy made me fat (Haribo's and Wine Gums) but do I blame the manufactureres NO I don't. I did this to MYSELF because I didn't know when to stop.

However I think the most telling comment was from the Weightwatchers woman who said that obesity was a chronic disease that had to be controlled, like AIDS or cancer, and one 12 week course won't do that, that's why people come back. Lifestyle change in other words. If you lose weight and eat so you maintain, you won't go back to WW. Seems most people are incapable of that.............

And I found the Fat one very interesting, you may say you made yourself fat, and that's true, but you were provided with the loaded gun by the food industry and the change in our, that word again, lifestyle because of this has a lot to do with it. In the 70's in the UK very few people were obese, now it's an epidemic. Why didn't people get obese in the 60's and 70's? Why didn't I? Because there was no loaded gun................
  • dotabb
    dotabb Posts: 1
    Options
    oh lord..this thread AGAIN ...LOL ..i thought this was a re-bump..

Over eating makes people fat not some corporation, government, or sugar producing company ....rolls eyez...

I've got to disagree with that! I've under-ate most of my life and I still gained a ton of weight. Not eating enough can send your body into starvation mode. However, I also have Fibromyalgia, which has limited my exercise options.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

Agree. Personal responsibility.
    Thus, you need to:
    1.) Become an expert in food additives and processing, because you can't trust the manufacturer to tell you all the facts.
    2.) Become an expert in chemistry and microbiology and test all your food before eating, because you can't trust the manufacturer to insure the safety of the products they sell you.
    3.) Become an expert in nutrition, because you can't trust the manufacturer to tell you whether their product is healthy for you or not.
    4.) Become an expert in law, because if you screw up on any of the above, you will pay a high price with your health or even your life, and everybody knows that hiring a lawyer is very expensive.

In short, you can't trust anybody......even people who say it's your responsibility.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

No it doesn't. I've watched it all. It is just really silly.

I'm happy for you that you've found all the information you need to get on and stay on your personal path to success.