Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    People being misinformed and uneducated is what's made people fat. If you knew 10 Years ago what you know now I doubt anyone of you would be here trying to lose weight.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

If you listen and ignore the ineffectual presenter the information is quite fascinating. Some of it I have known for ages but each episode brings up something new or a perspective I hadn't seen before.

Much of it is dismissed because of what it appears to be... the title of the documentaries being a case in point. When you get past the deliberately provocative soundbite stuff it gets really interesting.

No it doesn't. I've watched it all. It is just really silly.

I'm happy for you that you've found all the information you need to get on and stay on your personal path to success.

Do you realise how simple the information is for all of us? (we're all the same)

calories in vs calories out, heard it here first.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    it concerns the tactics and marketing of food products some of them downright devious to get us to buy their crap. It makes one realize one has to vigilant , read the packages research the food. An example in part 3 is Cadburys.

They're going to do whatever they can to make money, that should be expected, if you're informed and you pay attention to what you put in your mouth, it shouldn't matter.

It's like that in any industry. Beauty, laundry detergent, whatever. Every brand does it. You have to be a savvy shopper in everything you purchase. Those little cute things in the aisles when you're waiting in line? They're there for a reason. For you to hand over your money. The food industry isn't here to get you fat, it's here to take your money.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You're missing the point, Ritchie.

Other threads on this have discussed it much more than this one. There is some really fascinating information in the programmes. Snippets of historical information that are quite simply amazing in their blatant stupidity. Yet taken on by governments the world over as truths.

Breathtaking in stupidity and never removed or resolved, often still being touted today as proven and true - like the 5 a Day campaign. Utterly baseless, yet pushed by almost every western government - a truth you cannot argue with, even though there is no science behind the guidelines whatsoever.

BMI, obesity measures of any sort, exercise guidelines (for weight loss not health), childhood obesity rates as adult predictors and many more - all baseless.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    You're missing the point, Ritchie.

Other threads on this have discussed it much more than this one. There is some really fascinating information in the programmes. Snippets of historical information that are quite simply amazing in their blatant stupidity. Yet taken on by governments the world over as truths.

Breathtaking in stupidity and never removed or resolved, often still being touted today as proven and true - like the 5 a Day campaign. Utterly baseless, yet pushed by almost every western government - a truth you cannot argue with, even though there is no science behind the guidelines whatsoever.

BMI, obesity measures of any sort, exercise guidelines (for weight loss not health), childhood obesity rates as adult predictors and many more - all baseless.

I'm not missing any point; if people actually used common sense we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. No matter what the historical information or any other factors.

When people are getting fatter, do they not realize what is happening? Or why it's happening? If they don't, they're stupid.

I got fat, I knew why it was happening.. I was eating more / making different food choices too often / lazy.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

If you listen and ignore the ineffectual presenter the information is quite fascinating. Some of it I have known for ages but each episode brings up something new or a perspective I hadn't seen before.

Much of it is dismissed because of what it appears to be... the title of the documentaries being a case in point. When you get past the deliberately provocative soundbite stuff it gets really interesting.

I'm happy for you that you've found all the information you need to get on and stay on your personal path to success.

Do you realise how simple the information is for all of us? (we're all the same)

That was genuine, actually. I wasn't being b****y or whatever.

And when you take things like hereditary disorders and the like into account, no, we're not all the same.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone makes us fat but ourselves. Unless in the case of pregnancy, I blame my husband for that.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Absolutely, Cora.

That was genuine, actually. I wasn't being b****y or whatever.

And when you take things like hereditary disorders and the like into account, no, we're not all the same.

No, we are the same, and I don't want to keep saying "medical conditions aside" that should be common sense too.

So I'll say it again..

APART FROM MEDICAL CONDITIONS WE ARE ALL THE SAME.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8ez3ywuIQ1r6hxuw.gif
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links. There's interesting info in the documentary. It's also fascinating to see what goes on in the background with regards to food production and the interaction between politics and the different industries.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have watched the first of these programmes.

The interesting thing I found was the reporter was having a go at one of the big companies ex chairman about letting their 'clients' down by not supporting them after their 'initial' weight loss. The reply was around them having a great business model, so many repeat customers!!

Who would want to eat the various slim fast type products foe the rest of their life to maintain a reasonable weight.

We all know the saying "You are what you eat" and how true that is.

Weight loss isn't rocket science it's more like basic maths!

I personally eat whatever I want including chocolate - if I do I know I'll need to work harder or go for a run or biker ride or whatever but if I do go have some I ask the question - "do I really need this?" or " do I just fancy having?"

Programmes like this will make some people more aware of the issues surrounding this type of product - Don't use them! Eat proper food!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

I'm not missing any point; if people actually used common sense we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. No matter what the historical information or any other factors.

When people are getting fatter, do they not realize what is happening? Or why it's happening? If they don't, they're stupid.

I got fat, I knew why it was happening.. I was eating more / making different food choices too often / lazy.

Either you're missing the point or you don't understand. Hopefully when you grow up you'll be less dogmatic and believe you know everything and everyone else is stupid. Sorry, but you come over like a petulant child who can only see things in black and white. Why get involved in the thread if you already know it all? For most of us the program(s) were thought provoking and interesting.
  • enternamehere1
    enternamehere1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    watching it later... after all the comments i'm kinda curious.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The men who made us fat is a BBC documentary done in 2012 with a wealth of information concerning the food industry the food itself and how we became obese
    It is a three part series you can find by going to You Tube
    Part 1, 2 and 3

How you became obese:

- Not caring about what you ate
    - Not exercising
    - Blaming anyone but yourself .

I smell a scape goat and a lot of rushing to blame someone for their lack of common sense and moderation.

Edited by moderator arewethereyet
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the programmes, but do feel that if everyone already knew everything they needed to know, millions of men and women wouldn't be flocking to slimming clubs in desperation to be *told* what they need to do.
    Education is never a bad thing :smile:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I did indeed make myself fat. Information on nutrition has been around longer than manufactured food but people ignore it. What makes me angry is when is see elementary school children who are so obese. Now they can say their parents made them fat - and keep them that way by not providing proper food. Every time I see a post complaining because spouse or children ate the dieter's food I cringe. Why doen't the whole family deserve good nutritious food?
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The men who made us fat is a BBC documentary done in 2012 with a wealth of information concerning the food industry the food itself and how we became obese
    It is a three part series you can find by going to You Tube
    Part 1, 2 and 3

How you became obese:

- Not caring about what you ate
    - Not exercising
    - Blaming anyone but yourself.

I smell a scape goat and a lot of rushing to blame someone for their lack of common sense and moderation.

If you watch it you can see why people were shoving food down themselves when it was labeled as healthy and low fat. People assumed that fat would make them fat. In reality the companies just upped the sugar. It's actually interesting to see the lengths the food companies have gone to stop reports coming out.

As I said earlier people were misled and uneducated and that has played a part whether you want to believe it or not.

Surpriseeeeee! Companies are out to make money, and you believed what they wrote on the labels! I'm sorry, I was wrong. Your own stupidity made you fat. Not what you ate.

Back to the common sense and moderation bit I mentioned before. You musta missed that part.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Either you're missing the point or you don't understand. Hopefully when you grow up you'll be less dogmatic and believe you know everything and everyone else is stupid. Sorry, but you come over like a petulant child who can only see things in black and white. Why get involved in the thread if you already know it all? For most of us the program(s) were thought provoking and interesting.

No. You don't understand, not me. But its okay, you can take sly digs at my age, i'm 24 and not over-weight, I'll keep seeing things in black and white (because thats how they are) stupidity is the middle ground.

The program is NOT though provoking because you should already have the common sense to realise why you got fat in the first place.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    No. You don't understand, not me. But its okay, you can take sly digs at my age, i'm 24 and not over-weight, I'll keep seeing things in black and white (because thats how they are) stupidity is the middle ground.

The program is NOT though provoking because you should already have the common sense to realise why you got fat in the first place.

I didn't know your age, nor was I making sly digs, but it was obvious from your attitude you were barely out of your teens. Black and white is OK but you should try colour sometime. I know exactly why I got fat and I'm doing something about it, that doesn't mean I'm suggesting anyone else is to blame for my being fat, nor does it make the programme any the less interesting. Now try and understand that instead of shooting off your mouth with ridiculous preconceptions. The fact you don't find the programs thought provoking says more about you and your know it all attitude than anything else. Like I say, with a bit of luck, if you live long enough, you'll learn about life and people and grow up one day.