Define a Curvy Woman PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I've always been very hourglassed shaped (waist at least 10-12" smaller than my bust (overbust) and hips). Generally, I think of "curvy" as hourglass figure (think Sofia Vergara, Catherine Zeta Jones, Scarlett Johanssen), but I doubt it really means much. There are a lot of men who prefer pear shapes, some who prefer more athletic builds, etc. Don't base your body image and self esteem off of what some random man might think of your body. Base it off of how happy and healthy you are. Whatever your proportions, embrace them and be the best you can be.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    To me, curvy is this:

142285669447421881_JkGWSIVI_c.jpg

:heart: :love: :heart:

Alright, I give up. Help me out please.

Who is this?

Kat Dennings.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Come on, nutter, explain this to me. How does someone with a 33 inch waist have a 42 inch torso? Either you have no freaking idea how to figure out your bra size, or you're lying.

I wear a size 42D bra. The cup size is the difference in inches between your under your breasts and your actual breasts. Under your breasts is not the same as your waist. My breasts are 42 inches. Under my breasts I am 38 inches around. Under my breasts, not my waist. Actually I have to wear a 12 on top because of my breasts. Don't hate honey. As far as your "lying" comment, go eff yourself. :smile:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Come on, nutter, explain this to me. How does someone with a 33 inch waist have a 42 inch torso? Either you have no freaking idea how to figure out your bra size, or you're lying.

I wear a size 42D bra. The cup size is the difference in inches between your under your breasts and your actual breasts. Under your breasts is not the same as your waist. My breasts are 42 inches. Under my breasts I am 38 inches around. Under my breasts, not my waist. Actually I have to wear a 12 on top because of my breasts. Don't hate honey. As far as your "lying" comment, go eff yourself. :smile:
    Same. I just measured myself today to get a dress pattern and I'm 40-30-40 and wear a 36D bra. It's all about how the fat is distributed, and mine's distributed pretty damned nicely.
  • hrdkamp
    hrdkamp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "curvy" is definitely a subjective term. As my brother likes to say "he likes a little something something on his women". He considers me just "curvy" now that I have lost some weight whereas I still see overweight.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

When stating measurements, you measure around the fullest part of the chest/ bust and give those measurements and not the measurement of the rib cage. The poster you are questioning said she's a 42D, so that would mean her rib cage is probably around 38 inches.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Same. I just measured myself today to get a dress pattern and I'm 40-30-40 and wear a 36D bra. It's all about how the fat is distributed, and mine's distributed pretty damned nicely.

Tis true. My boobs measured round themselves - 42 inches. But drop a couple of inches lower where the bra strap AROUND actually goes - it's smaller. Boobs stick out, so the space below them - where they're NOT sticking out - are going to be smaller.
  • DragonSquatter
    Options

Erm, I think the band size on bras is supposed to be the underbust measurement, not the overbust one yes?

I'm a 38DD, but 38" is the underbust measurement.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Erm, I think the band size on bras is supposed to be the underbust measurement, not the overbust one yes?

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 39 underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up! To my dismay, as I often find really cute clothes that fit my ribcage and torso great....until I get to the "no amount of super tucking my shoulders in is gonna make this work" point.
  • DragonSquatter
    Options

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 30 something underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up!

Yes, but I am confused by nutter's comment about her bra size being 42D when her underbust measurement is 38 is all.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it mean that your waist is narrower than your bust and hips?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 30 something underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up!

Yes, but I am confused by nutter's comment about her bra size being 42D when her underbust measurement is 38 is all.

Oh. I missed that part. Good question, then. Also good to know the word "underbust", as I was flailing trying to think of ways to say "under the boobage" in a semi eloquent fashion.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that curvy is used to describe women with an hour glass shape. It doesn't matter how big she is (what the exact measurements are) just that her measurements are in such a proportion that she is hour glass shaped.

I have an hour glass. I have been called curvy at all weights. Even when I was a very healthy weight I still had a big bust and hips. It's just the way the women in my family are built.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I think it's because of how a lot of bra places will add 4 inches to the rib cage measurement (usually in order to fit people into the bras they sell).
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Personally I think curvy is more of a description of a shape, not a term used by women who'd rather use that word then something else. Im technically slender however I have a booty & from the front I have a noticeable curve from my waist to hips. So yeah - whether you're 120 or 220 I generally think of it as a SHAPE, more then anything! Think "Hourglass"
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 39 underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up! To my dismay, as I often find really cute clothes that fit my ribcage and torso great....until I get to the "no amount of super tucking my shoulders in is gonna make this work" point.
    Aint' that the truth. I have trouble getting out of shirts because of my broad shoulders and big chest and comparatively tiny waist. And don't get me started on buttoned blouses.

Yes, the number of a bra size is supposed to be the inches of your ribcage just under your breasts, and the cup size adjusts with the measurement around the fullest part, usually around the nipples. A woman who wears a 42D is most likely to have more fat than one who wears a 36D.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think there's all kinds of curvy. I consider curvy to be any body where either the hips or the bust (or both) are significantly larger than the waist.

Sherri Shepherd on the View is curvy, in a top heavy kind of way. She's more of an apple-shape, she has slim, shapely legs and big boobs.

Jennifer Lopez is curvy in the exact opposite way. She doesn't have a lot of boobage, but has fantastic hips and bum.

Sofia Vergara is classic bombshell hourglass.

Kate Moss is also an hourglass, but on a smaller, more slender scale.

All these women are very different, and they're all curvy.

That's my thoughts on it.
  • DragonSquatter
    Options

I think it's because of how a lot of bra places will add 4 inches to the rib cage measurement (usually in order to fit people into the bras they sell).

Interesting. Never had someone do this. I just go by the measurements and buy the corresponding band size. I usually go 1" up if I'm in between.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Curvy is curvy. You can be overweight and curvy and you can be not overweight in curvy. It's not a description of weight, it's a description of body type.

I'm pear shaped as all get out, and so I'm curvy. I was curvy when I was bigger and I'm curvy when I'm smaller. Cause that's how my body is shaped. It's not complicated.