Define a Curvy Woman PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    These days it seems like fat women use this term to try to justify there lazy/sedentary lifestyles.

You seem like a delightful person. Stupid fat people and their being all lazy/sedentary, *ruining* perfectly good words like curvy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    curvy to me is a nice way of saying overweight.

Oh.

Not sure if insulted or amused.
  • mister_Big
    Options
    I consider myself curvy because I am busty with a small/defined waist.
    Yes you are...
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Look in the dictionary under "JanieJack" haha

There are some folks who think I'm overweight. I think I could lose a few more pounds but am looking pretty good.

I remember the day that I looked at my ultra-thin-but-no-curves kickbox instructor and decided that if I had to choose between being my size and curvy or her size and no curves that I'd take my size and curvy every time. When I put weight on I get bummed about my weight, but when I'm at my normal weight I feel very happy and proud of my body.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Oh.

whether or not this insults anyone, they need to know this is what people typically think- ESPECIALLY in online dating sites!
  • pjlove1
    pjlove1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    thunderous thighs and massive boobs
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a way of saying I need a lil padding cause im a big strong guy and I wanna love you :)

You're smooth. :wink:
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To me, curvy = chubby

:noway: :noway: :noway:

I am curvy and not chubby...38-32-40...those are curves...and this girl has a butt (thank you squatts)

Marylin Monroe...need I say more...

Marylin Monroe was fat
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    One of the trainers in my gym I would define as curvy. She is in her early twenties, very attractive, athletic, slender. Her body proportions give her a very attractive, feminine figure.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Oh.

whether or not this insults anyone, they need to know this is what people typically think- ESPECIALLY in online dating sites!

I don't know that any of us can claim to know what people typically think, nor do I think online dating sites represent an adequate cross section of society to base such a claim on.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been curvy since puberty and will remain that way no matter how much weight I lose. I happen to have maternal genetics that give me wide hip bones and no matter what my BMI is I can't change my bone structure. Also because of my wrist size I am considered 'large framed' (just what every girl wants to hear right? :sad: )

With that being said, even though my sisters also have wide hip bones like me, I have always been the curviest because I have always had the biggest boobs (38D) and I have always had the smallest waist (30")

I really want to lose a significant amount of weight and all of that weight seems to be in my bottom half because I am pear shaped. I have come to accept the fact that even if my BMI was at 20% I will still be curvy...and that is ok with me.
  • heidibluegirl
    heidibluegirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1. Don't concern yourself about what other women consider themselves to be - define yourself as you see/feel yourself and don't worry about others, whether or not you think they are delusional.
    2. You are assuming someone is unhealthy if they are "overweight", but not unhealthier if they are not? I don't know about you but I can out-hike some of my thinner friends. I'm not convinced they are more fit than I am. Of course that doesn't mean I couldn't be much healthier. Which is why I am here...
    3. Curvy usually means a "womanly" figure (not that skinny women aren't feminine or "real" women. It's unfair to judge them in the same way plus sized women are often judged). One can have curves at any weight. Curves are curves. My body type is the same shape at any weight just smaller or bigger versions of it, but my shapes is still very curvy (pear shaped with my waist being the smallest point, currently a 20" difference btwn my wait and hips, with only 6" difference btwn my bust and waist! Yeah, all that booty, and it is a perfect curve, not a series of lumps and bumps- although those could also be considered, technically, as curves too, depending on one's perspective - I happen to know of men who like the lumps and bumps). That being said I am obese, am fairly healthy (rarely get sick, exercise, vegetarian, eat healthy) and I have been 100 lbs lighter and had the exact same shape. So there ya go. If your only curve is your belly, then yeah- I am not sure if that qualifies as curvy. ;) However if someone believes that they are curvy and are more round that doesn't offend me. I guess a belly is a curve in it's own way in the same way the lumps and bumps are. It ain't straight! So it must be a curve! That being said, I think we are all here to be healthier. Rock on...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a subjective term. There will disagreement from someone's definition. That said here's my idea of curvy:
    salma_hayek_biography.jpg
    Salma Hayek

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about this too and was interested in what men thought was curvaceous. Mainly, because I noticed in my African-American culture that being "thick" is glorified (thick legs, thick thighs, big booty, etc.) However, what one may think is thick, another would think is fat. There seems to be a thin line between being thick and being fat.

Researchers tend to examine the topic of what exactly is a curvy woman by examining a woman's waist-to-hip ratio. Researchers in evolutionary mate selection and whr (for example, Devendra Singh), suggests that cross-culturally, men prefer women with a 0.7 whr or less regardless of BMI.

In other words, whether you are thin or obese (defined by BMI) as long as you have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less, you are considered to have a curvaceous body. As always in research, you either have stats that support or don't support findings, so of course this finding is not an absolute. Either way I find it interesting.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Options
    Researchers tend to examine the topic of what exactly is a curvy woman by examining a woman's waist-to-hip ratio. Researchers in evolutionary mate selection and whr (for example, Devendra Singh), suggests that cross-culturally, men prefer women with a 0.7 whr or less regardless of BMI.

In other words, whether you are thin or obese (defined by BMI) as long as you have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or less, you are considered to have a curvaceous body. As always in research, you either have stats that support or don't support findings, so of course this finding is not an absolute. Either way I find it interesting.

So, I'm single due to my 0.8 waist to hip ratio! That explains it! :wink: :laugh: Must do more squats!!!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    A curvy woman is a woman who is not made out of polygons and right angles.

:laugh:
    These days it seems like fat women use this term to try to justify there lazy/sedentary lifestyles.

So what do you call a fat girl who is eating right and working out 6 days a week? I mean is she still lazy or is she just "Curvy"?

In the eyes of society (since they don't know you and assume they do), still "lazy".

People assume they know the person just from looking at them. In reality, you don't actually know what part of their weight loss journey someone is on.

Also, everyone is automatically a doctor when they see an obese person.

:drinker:

Descriptors are subjective. Women of all shapes and sizes can be defined as curvy. It just depends on who you ask.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I was fat and curvy. Now I'm healthy and curvy. I have a tiny waist and decent T&A. THAT is curvy. Being fat is being fat. Some fat women are curvy. Some curvy women are thin or athletic or whatever. At GW I'll be thin but still curvy. It annoys the crap out of me when fat people call themselves curvy. Curvy is a body shape. It's the hourglass. It's something you can't help no matter what. Fat is fat. Calling it curvy doesn't mean anything other that you're either kidding yourself or you ARE actually curvy underneath. Sorry.... not in the mood to play nice.
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To me, curvy depends on the bust-waist-hip ratio. IE having a small waist in comparison to breasts and hips. People with these proportions tend to keep them at whatever weight they are.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Curvy to me is when your waist goes in and is defined, and you have boobs and hips. You can be curvy at a size 4 or a size 14! I think I'm curvy.