Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Its always nice to be able to walk to the gym... dont think that I will ever have that luxury cause I like the sticks too much... well if/ when I go back in the Army I might... dont let the free weights scare you. Start out at what you can do and go from there. they are the best way to get results. The machines dont give you good tone like the free weights do. I used to be one of those meatheads...lol(i used to squat about 600lbs, bench 340, could only curl about 180 though.) (I weighed about 180 at the time )

Yeah that stuff is awesome, but it is kinda expensive. I think the cheapest place to get it is bodybuilding.com but it is still 40 something dollars. the good thing is that it is a 6 week supply if you use it as directed(5 days on 2 days off). One scoop is plenty enough I am a big guy 287lbs and one scoop has been enough for me. I have been using it for 6 weeks now still give me a good kick.

I did lose my sexiness. I used to be all ripped up like Vin Diesel before. Not quite that big, but the muscle tone was there. I am just happy to see that my chest is starting to look bigger than my stomach again.... :bigsmile:

I get my protein powder from bodybuilding.com, and have gotten supplements from there too, but I dont use them anymore. Its a cool site!
    I gotcha on the sexiness thing 100%. A yr ago, befor I gained all this weight, I thought I was fat, Ide LOVE to be in those shoes now! I have always had a belly, but then I started to gain in my butt and thighs, and that sucks!!!!
    Good things are coming though, you are right about free weights, I have lost a lot using them before over the machines because free weights get my heart rate up more, which is what I need. I saw a trainer last wk, and thought I was gonna die lol. It helped though, he reminded me I cant just do the treadmill and machines, I have to do horrible squat thrusts, lunges, squats, all the stuff I hate!!:smile:
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    AHHH LEE! I'm so glad we share the pain of being in "man" land. The free weight section is scary with all those grunters etc... I got to a Planet Fitness, mainly because its 24 hours so I can go work out at 2am. Which I have ALSO found is the best time do to free weights because no one is there. I always get embarassed when I bench press. I was doing the bar - but recently moved up to the bar AND 5lbs :laugh: I must look pretty silly with my little 2.5lb weights on either side! But hey, I'm there right?
  • lee112780
    Options
    Hey Meg!! Planet wasnt too bad, it was just a little out of the way for me. This gym is totally different. The people that go there are much more fit. But you are right! It may be a little embarassing, but atleast we are there, trying. I just really really hate when guys try to show me how to do things. I have had trainers before and my good freind used to train me, so I know what Im doing...atleast enough so that I dont hurt myself lol.
    2am would be awesome!!! The gym is like a playground then!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yeah well, I have the opposite problem... I can lift too much cause when I go in the afternoon there are all the little skinny housewives there on the treadmill or eliptical and I have no one to help me with the weights... Like I am gonna ask some chick that is 5' 2" that might weigh 120lbs soaking wet "can you spot me?" when I am bench pressing 240lbs... if she cant hold the weight there goes a rib or collarbone, or both. then I am out of the gym for a long time.

Meg- if thats all you can do you shouldnt be embarrased... like you said " at least you are there trying to get in shape" I was there about 2 years ago. I was working out with my friend for the first time in a long time and I was having trouble benching 100lbs. I felt really bad cause there was a chick there right before us that was with a trainer, she was in really good shape. and she was benching between 100-140 and she made it look easy. It ruined my whole workout. All I wanted to do was go home after that, but I stayed and finished my workout.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    Decided to brush off the old Carmen Electra dvds and pop one in...boy do I not like her right now....gonna soak in a tub with some epsom salt...didnt realize how out of shape I have gotten...use to do those with no issues then go for a run....I will get back to it tho!!!

Miss Suzie
    Live by the sun, Love by the moon
  • lee112780
    Options
    Decided to brush off the old Carmen Electra dvds and pop one in...boy do I not like her right now....gonna soak in a tub with some epsom salt...didnt realize how out of shape I have gotten...use to do those with no issues then go for a run....I will get back to it tho!!!

Miss Suzie
    Live by the sun, Love by the moon
    [/quote

Yea, I got up a lil too late to get to the gym today. Think Im gonna do the Jackie warner workout on Demand...that kicked my butt last time!!
  • MegJo
    Options
    I have the night off tonight. I'm feeling SUPER lazy. It's going to take a lot of inner strength to stay out of the kitchen. I plan to do a home dvd workout (30 day shred). But other than not, nothing planned. This always seems to be my issue, nights off. At least with a day schedule you can go for a walk or run erronds. At night its nothing but me, the tv, and the laptop.
  • lee112780
    Options
    Me too Meg. Its not like you can sleep, right?! I hate that:yawn:
    Can you go to the gym?
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like to cruze around MFP and see if I can find some new ideas on my nights off.. And I usually turn into a day person if I have a few days off. I always have things to do on my nights off... Clean, do laundry, I cook meals for the next few days sometimes, I go to the gym in the middle of the night cause no one is there. Netflix is my friend also.
    Walmart is open 24hrs around here, so I do my grocery shopping at night also.
  • lee112780
    Options
    Those are some good ideas. I always find myself eating cause Im bored at night if Im off :ohwell:
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the 24 hour Walmart and netflix. My husband has neflix connected to the main TV, so I get to watch instant movies on a big screen.
    One of the bad things about Walmart though is the smell of the bakery. Makes me want to go by lots of "bad" food.
  • MegJo
    Options
    I tend to do those things too Lean. So far I've done well. I've resisted the kitchen haha. Everytime I want to go for some chips I just think about how I'll feel after I eat them. Funny how I don't want to be at work when I'm there, but when I'm home I wish I was at work where there are fewer temptations.

I also just spent time watching the first episode of biggest loser. Although long, and dragged out, I thought the people on it are pretty good. I got even more inspiration to work hard because one of the women on there weighed exactally what I do right now. That was a shock. Those people are suppose to be bigger than me!!! AHHHH. So, on that note Jillian Michaels is calling my name, so I think I'll strap on my shoes and do some workingout in my living room!

:) Thanks for the support guys. It really helps keep me on track.
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    One of the reasons I learned how to knit was to keep both of my hands busy, and depending on the pattern my mind also.
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    One of my biggest problems with overnights has been lack of activity. I usually consume a lot of my time at home with games. So far, I have successfully adapted to get up and doing at least 10 or 15 minutes of some activity every 2 hours. Either walking my dog in the back yard, cleaning a room or even just jumping jacks. Doing those things I have found that I tend to snack a lot less and keep some decent level of activity going without having to toss my sleep schedule out on the weekends.
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    When I am home I try and walk the dog for 30 min at about 4 am. I also have games on facebook that I have to manage. :ohwell:
  • suzie1983
    Options
    morning everyone...have a great day!!!!!!
  • lee112780
    Options
    Anyone working tonight?
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work M-F 11:42 until 7:42. Haven't posted much on this thread but have been reading everything. It looks like I am the opposite of everyone else. When the weekend comes I cut my sleep short on Friday and go to bed with my wife at night, then get up and spend Sat/Sun with the kids at sports and such sleeping Saturday night. On Sunday I will get about an hour and a half to two hours napping in right before I leave and then start my routine up again.
  • my2loves04and06
    Options
    Hello! I just started working nocs (7p-7a) after 8 years of working dayshift. Since I switch back to a day schedule on my of days, logging my food is sort of screwy on the day after my last shift. Hoping it won't affect my weight loss any. Does anyone know how the body will typiclly react to this culture shock of flip flopping my schedule?
  • suzie1983
    Options
    I work M-F 11:42 until 7:42. Haven't posted much on this thread but have been reading everything. It looks like I am the opposite of everyone else. When the weekend comes I cut my sleep short on Friday and go to bed with my wife at night, then get up and spend Sat/Sun with the kids at sports and such sleeping Saturday night. On Sunday I will get about an hour and a half to two hours napping in right before I leave and then start my routine up again.

thats how i do it...except my weekend starts on sunday morning....i usually try to get a nap in right after work then get up after about two or three hours and then join the world of day ppl and sleep sunday night monday night and try to nap on tuesday before i get back to work...its a rough schedule sometimes but im use to it