Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl Zumba Instructor. I can do hour after hour of Zumba and every time I leave my students completely exhausted and sweaty. I can understand that my appearance or that of another may be off putting but I would encourage yourself or anyone else to maybe not judge the book by its cover. I chose this job to help me stay focused on my health and weight loss and it turns out I am very good at what I do, despite being overweight.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have seen chubbier looking ones on TV (which isn't always what a person looks like on tv/pics because u lose a dimension) that's really why some models are good at what they do, not just built right.

But anyway, I am not at all bothered or anything because it would be a poor reflection of myself to judge that. How would i know why they are slightly bigger, some fat may not be able to ever go away without surgery, so why would I juudge them for not wanting that, or having an issue that isn't trained away or taken care of by eating right. As that happens alot, and people have wacky perceptions on what they think is healthy anway. Stats are stats.

It would make me a giant *kitten* to judge someone I don't know, as if that makes me better but I am already awesome so why do that to myself. I get what you are saying, but frankly that is flaw in some people, that can be changed if they want to change it. Anyone that judges a book by its cover or only looks at the outside just doesn't know anything about health or biology anway. But now they have learned something about themselves, which hopefully will make them a better person.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Which leads me to my point... Is anyone bothered by "fitness-nutritionist-type-professionals" who clearly do not look the part?

No

Is it utterly ridiculous to have a "chubby" nutritionist or "flabby" personal trainer?

No

Or does it fall under the same notion that your heart surgeon doesn't need to have heart disease to be a good cardiologist?

Yes
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get it. I've read several of these posts.... While I do somewhat agree with the practice what you preach people, (and I can talk and say anything I want here, I WAS HUGE!!! lol) I kind of look at it like this, Bill Bellicheck (and I HATE him!!!) is not exactly a physical specimin, but one of the best coaches in the NFL, many coaches are that way. Those who can DO, those who can't TEACH. Plain as that. Many players or atheletes, even the best, can't cut it as teachers. We all have our place, it just depends on what you got.... If I were to gain all my weight back ( I PRAY THAT DOESN"T HAPPEN!!!!) I would still retain all the knowledge I have obtained along the way. Keep an open mind, it can work both ways..... Be smart enough to decide if a person is worth following or not..... Just my 2 cents...
  • georgiaste
    Options
    Weight isn't everything. I have a cousin who's in his late forties, he's overweight (not just in muscle, in quit a bit of fat too) but he can run half marathons! It depends on WHAT KIND OF FIT you aspire to be. I'm a nutrition science student, I'm in the healthy weight range and I have love handles, but so what? I'm healthy, that's the point in dietetics right? Not fad diets to look photo-shopped. I wish more people would aspire to be healthy and not just thin.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Initially I would have agreed that a chubby trainer or nutritionist would be a no go for me. Then I went to a fitness class where the trainer was not a skinny chick and she kicked everyone's butt. Even the skinny girls in class were dying and here is this trainer with her bubble butt just zipping along like it's nothing and teasing us for not being able to keep up with the big girl.

I've also had people who didn't take their size six nutritionist seriously because they felt like she'd never had to deal with weight issues and didn't understand what they were going through. I'm going back to school to become a dietitian even while I work on making myself better and I plan on showing all my potential clients my before and after picture so they know I'm not just all talk.
  • scottix111
    Options
    well im chubby and I don't think anyone would take me seriously as pt and nutritionist but I know a lot just had to put what I know on hold for a while so a put on the weight not as much as I could have tho so im going to get in better shape before I start training people again for the reason I don't think they would take me seriously
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    A person can understand how to do something without doing it themselves.

On the other hand, if it's something where a part of their job is supposed to be to motivate clients, I can see how it's hard to believe they can do that when they don't appear to have a good handle on self-motivation.
  • emarose90
    Options
    A person can understand how to do something without doing it themselves.

On the other hand, if it's something where a part of their job is supposed to be to motivate clients, I can see how it's hard to believe they can do that when they don't appear to have a good handle on self-motivation.

This, I totally agree.

There's a large lady at my gym (staff member, not entirely sure if she's actually a trainer) who has done a couple of my classes (spin, abs/conditioning) and I must admit that I didn't find it very motivating. Now this is also partly to do with her teaching style, but also because (unlike the other trainers) she couldn't - or chose not to - do all of the class. My immediate impression was that she couldn't, but obviously I don't know that for certain. Trying to get past that immediate "do you even follow your own advice?" was harder than I thought.

It's a difficult one.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This one always makes me laugh.

People think low bf % = being fit.

"fit" means apt for a purpose or task.

Bartolli, recently won Wimbledon at a higher bf% than most "ripped" trainers at your local gym would be comfortable with. She was, however, fit for that task. Her speed and stamina were impressive and she made many thinner, younger players look slow and flat-footed by comparison. Judged by the standards displayed in this thread, she is not, in fact, a top sportswoman, but another person who has somehow "failed" to keep her bf % down to some arbitrary ideal. Laughable!

Separate from that, is the question about whether someone with a low bf% is most likely to be the best person to help you achieve your goals. It seems obvious to me that a PT who spends all day training clients will have less opportunities to keep their bf % low. They will often grab food on the go in between training sessions and have limited time to work out themselves. At the end of the day the difference between a ripped PT and and non-ripped one may well be effective time management.

Another difference may be that the "chubby" trainer does not equate low bf % with being fit or healthy. If so, they are smart. There's nothing wrong with having a low bf %, but when you get to the point when it starts to negatively impact your performance or health then low bf % as an end in itself is silly. Performance and health needs to be the goal, lower bf % should be the by-product.
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Jimmmer on this one. Even though the stereo typical answer will be who wants a trainer that isn't in shape or that’s chubby. All overweight people get judge immediately upon site. But as for trainers, I believe it gives people that mind set of "damn he/she is in great shape. I want that trainer!" Not knowing what this individual has done to get to this point. And yes I mean Gear aka Steroids or HRT treatments. Then again that trainer could have spent the past # of years busting his/*kitten* eating clean and pushing their selves in their workouts.

Same goes for nutritionist, all of these individuals that are overweight (which by standards isn't much over normal) know they need to make a change but just aren't willing to or don't have the motivation or self-esteem to go that direction but they have that fortitude about them that wants to help others. I'm currently over weight myself while pursuing my certification through ISSA. If I’m above my normal weight (204/5'11") make me less knowledgeable to turn somebodies life around while I'm making a change for myself. Or maybe I'm fine with the way I look and I like teaching others about fitness and I do just enough to stay healthy (since being skinny doesn't mean you’re a healthy person).

I think this world has become too judgmental on overweight people. How can being chubby be an issue when a 5'5" female at 25% BF is considered normal but many would call her chubby and males at 15% BF would be chubby.

I see what many posters mindsets are and yes it can be hard to overcome but knowledge, performance, and results are the key not that they like pop tarts 3 times a day.

JMO

"Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I know that knowledge and practice of knowledge can be two totally different things. Goals can be different and net a different body type but at the end of the day I still wouldn't ever hire a nutritionist that wasn't leaner than me nor a personal trainer that I could easily outlift (in proportion of size). Time is a commodity to me and if they aren't there living the same exact fight as me with the same exact goals than I'm not willing to possibly waste time to figure out if they know what they are talking about despite their initial appearance.

Just my 2 cents.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    My trainer could be deemed as "chubby" he is what you would think of a REAL gladiator would be. Huge arms, chest, shoulders but has a layer of fat on his belly. That being said he is absolutely amazing and I don't regret a second of paying for him to kick my *kitten* three times a week, he knows his stuff and even has helped me with my nutrition.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    lol