Can I gain muscle without gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)

You can gain a lot of strength without gaining any muscle mass. Over the past 6 months my squats have gone from a starting point of 45 lbs to 115 lbs while I have lost a small amount of scale weight. I may have gained a few ounces of muscle due to newbie gains, but that's about all I can expect eating at a deficit. Strength =/= mass, necessarily.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    "You can't gain muscle without eating at a surplus"

This is absolutely the number one biggest bit of bro science that I see every day. Absolutely you can. Not as much, and not as quickly, but you very much can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Caveat: It's not easy.

If you are eating at a slight deficit, and are working out with weights heavy enough to be in the 2-8 rep range before failure, and are getting enough protein (THIS IS KEY) then you will gain strength and muscle.

You don't need to eat at a surplus, but you do need to take in enough protein. How much is enough? That's up for debate and is another hotbed of bro science. I tend to err on the side of caution and take in about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (which you can find calculators to estimate for you).

Eating gobs of food to make up a huge surplus is the reason why a lot of gym people get into harmful bulk/cut cycles. You don't need to put on a pound of fat for every pound of muscle, then lose muscle trying to burn that fat off. It's dumb, and I don't get why people think it's the right way to do it.

The calories you burn working out and generally living will come from the food you eat first, and when that runs out, your body will attack fat stores, and only when those are gone (or nearly gone) will it work on metabolizing muscle tissue. Unless you're eating at a severe deficit, your body will have enough calories from the food you eat and the fat you have on you to use the protein you're eating to repair damage. It won't be as fast, or efficient as putting on muscle while you are swimming with calories from eating a lumberjack's diet, but it will go on.

If you are eating at a severe deficit, about the most you can hope for is that the lifting you do will offset the loss of muscle, but if you can find a balance (that's the hard part), then you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Note, you will not do either quickly. If you are looking to crash your fat, or bulk up in a hurry, you should probably concentrate on one or the other. If you're happy to make a lifestyle change to lift heavy and eat right for the foreseeable future, then you absolutely, 100%, assuredly CAN lose fat and gain muscle.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound regardless of what it is. 1 pound of muscle does not weigh more than one pound of fat. 1.1 pounds of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat or vice versa. Muscle is more dense and takes up less room.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    What is up with females and weight!!!

BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION >
    THROW AWAY YOUR CHIT USELESS SCALE!!!

Love this!!!

If you're serious about lifting and recomp it's time to put the shred away and focus on an actual weight lifting program. 30DS is cardio based, and getting stronger doing it doesn't mean you're gaining muscle. For someone new look into New Rules of Lifting, Nia Shanks or Stronglifts.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

This is absolutely the number one biggest bit of bro science that I see every day. Absolutely you can. Not as much, and not as quickly, but you very much can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

If you are eating at a slight deficit, and are working out with weights heavy enough to be in the 2-8 rep range before failure, and are getting enough protein (THIS IS KEY) then you will gain strength and muscle.

You don't need to eat at a surplus, but you do need to take in enough protein. How much is enough? That's up for debate and is another hotbed of bro science. I tend to err on the side of caution and take in about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (which you can find calculators to estimate for you).

Eating gobs of food to make up a huge surplus is the reason why a lot of gym people get into harmful bulk/cut cycles. You don't need to put on a pound of fat for every pound of muscle, then lose muscle trying to burn that fat off. It's dumb, and I don't get why people think it's the right way to do it.

The calories you burn working out and generally living will come from the food you eat first, and when that runs out, your body will attack fat stores, and only when those are gone (or nearly gone) will it work on metabolizing muscle tissue. Unless you're eating at a severe deficit, your body will have enough calories from the food you eat and the fat you have on you to use the protein you're eating to repair damage. It won't be as fast, or efficient as putting on muscle while you are swimming with calories from eating a lumberjack's diet, but it will go on.

If you are eating at a severe deficit, about the most you can hope for is that the lifting you do will offset the loss of muscle, but if you can find a balance (that's the hard part), then you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Note, you will not do either quickly. If you are looking to crash your fat, or bulk up in a hurry, you should probably concentrate on one or the other. If you're happy to make a lifestyle change to lift heavy and eat right for the foreseeable future, then you absolutely, 100%, assuredly CAN lose fat and gain muscle.

It isn't really bro science at all, I know exactly what you're saying, but a body re-composition takes longer a simple surplus and then a cut cycle makes much more sense. You called cutting and bulk cycles harmful so it's not really worth listening to much else you said.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you have to gain weight - in a caloric deficit it isn't gona happen, and it isn't gonna happen properly unless you lift actual weights. Sure you may gain a slight amount of muscle at first but it won't be much because your body isn't going to be doing anything that's actually really muscle building - if that makes sense?

^ pretty much this, unless you wanna tren hard

Lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can, but it requires a lot of caveats.

Not eating too little, not eating too much, getting enough rest, properly working the muscle groups etc. You can gain muscle, but it's going to be at a very slow rate even if you're new to lifting. You can try to follow a lean gains program, but for me.. I just have found bulking and cutting cycles just to work better.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    105 is just a number.. Add some muscle and definition you may weigh more but you will look better overall. Work on getting numbers like body fat percentage down. stop looking at the scale and start looking in the mirror
  • CarolineB75
    CarolineB75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to be at that magic number? For YEARS I have weighed myself every day and been devastated/ecstatic at the results. I had NEVER done a push up until 4 weeks ago and now I smash them. I couldn't even lift shopping bags as I was so weak.

I am now training to climb Everest and the only thing I need to be is strong. I have noticed a spectacular change in my body shape, definition, etc. and I am eating more than I ever did, and training hard with weights.

I would much rather be in better overall shape and weigh more :)

Good luck in your training!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

While I would agree with you because I've put on muscle over the past year while eating at a slight deficit, there is a diminishing marginal return on how much muscle someone can gain on a deficit, and the gains are not as high as most people have in mind when they're trying to recomp. Newbies can gain a visible amount, but someone who has been lifting for a while cannot (Truth be told, a drug free lifter has a limit on how much muscle can be gained even with bulk-cut cycles). Further, the deficit cannot be large (not even a 1 pound a week) unless the person is obese (because there is probably plenty of lean mass and no need to do anything other than retain what is already there while cutting fat), the diet has to be precise with respect to protein and fat ratios (this is true with muscle retention in normal body weight or slightly overweight and also with maintenance), and it takes a painfully long time. A slow bulk and a slow cut are simply more effective and more time efficient.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)

I don't mean to be rude or mean or anything, you do what you want, but the fact that you are more concerned about getting to this "magical weight" of 105lbs is more important to you than the fact that you can barely lift 4lbs (a gallon of milk is around 8lbs) is very confusing to me. I agree with the others, get rid of the scale. If you eat more and gain muscle you will gain some weight, but you'll look and feel better, so ignore the number on the scale. Best of luck!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat

1 lb per cubic inch of muscle is as dense and 1 lb per cubic in of fat

You are all wrong! HAHA
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

increased strength does not equal increased muscle mass, it's important to know that. so you may get stronger, but you're not going to build mass.

Aside from that, until you realize there is a difference between the scale and health & asthetics I can't help you. The scale is really quite meaningless as a singular tool for measuring health. While being lighter may mean that your bf can pick you up, being lighter does not equal being healthier or fitter . . . besides at 110 pounds I could pick you up and throw you around like a rag doll (I'm 5'3"). Good luck to you.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm at 110 pounds and my ultimate goal weight is 105. I just started 30 Day Shred and I'm going to actively try to gain muscle. However, I still want to get down to 105. Is it possible or am I going to see scale increases because muscle weighs more than fat?

Btw, I'm 5'2" and I usually eat ~1300 on average. I haven't eaten too many more calories to account for the 30 Day Shred...yet!
    Yes, you can replace with fat you have left (very little based on your stats ^) with muscle without gaining weight. In your case, it would be toning with very little muscle gain because you have very little to work with. The question is, do you plan to increase your strength much? If not, minimum strength game will come from the increased tone and as long as you maintain your cardio and healthy eating habits, you should not face any major obstacles.

Note: 105 is your goal weight; fine. However, do not let the number control you but you control the number. In other words, if you gain a pound of two of muscle, which pushes your weight to 107, why should it be a concern if you are still in a healthy BMI and the neglible gain was from a positive activity? Just a note, I did see your later comment about not caring if you gain a little but the way you started off your initial post and the title of the post is why I am throwing a bit of caution in here.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing on a number on a scale and focus on the lbs your lifting.

*protein farts*
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

As a (formerly skinny fat) female who used to be obsessed with the scale, I COMPLETELY agree with this!!!

THIS! Heavy lifting changed my life (& my body-- for the better)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

I don't mean to be rude or mean or anything, you do what you want, but the fact that you are more concerned about getting to this "magical weight" of 105lbs is more important to you than the fact that you can barely lift 4lbs (a gallon of milk is around 8lbs) is very confusing to me. I agree with the others, get rid of the scale. If you eat more and gain muscle you will gain some weight, but you'll look and feel better, so ignore the number on the scale. Best of luck!

This tbh. I'd be far more worried about your apparent severe lack of muscle than a measley 5lb.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way of estimating your body fat percentage? That would be a better measure than the scale.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options

Kid know's what he's talking about, throw that **** out, get big gains. I don't even own a scale, *gasp* I know I'm doomed to be a lard, oh wait, that's a load of bull. People on this forum are so obsessive, it can't be healthy to worry this much about weight. "Omgah I just ate a snickers gotta go weigh myself n see if I got fat". If you don't have fat to burn what do you think your body is going to turn to...that's right!